• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest 2017 Inaugural Southern Hemisphere Growdown Throwdown Aji Amarillo

KAOS said:
Any updates fellas?

I think your monsters have scared everyone off! Here's how mine are doing;
h5dzwwGl.jpg

Afy6jdGl.jpg

726EGznl.jpg

And a shot of other varieties growing in the same conditions;

Q2m1i8ql.jpg

I think I was in last place so far in every aspect ,
getting seeds , germinating , posting   , BUT I suspect my seedlings might be the first seeing sunlight.

3-4 hours a day for the last 3 days , todays forecast , a sunny 30 degrees Celsius!

P1170027.JPG

P1170025.JPG

So from now on it will be sunlight by day and lights by night.
Good luck to everybody.

Those are growing super karoo. Can't beat mama sunshine.

We still a wee while off down here before descent temps.

TBG - I think you got big amarillo news and you just playing cards real close. Fair do's, but the suspense is terrible.

It was inevitable, but I've officially run out of space in the grow tent, so it's was out to the undercover patio for some of the chillies.

Biggest amarillo got a 1 inch topping to stall growth a bit and second biggest (last one not topped off) got transplanted into biggest pot I have.

Will post update next weekend.

I will post a family pic with Audrey II and siblings over the weekend, but for now ....

Unofficial update for the last un-topped plant - King Amarillo Overlord Supreme

IMG_59249d34c.jpg

IMG_5939.jpg

Looks like they have doubled in size since the last photo karoo.

Still crap weather here and today is gales and heavy showers.

Damn that African sun for now, just hope you don't get the 40C scorchers come summer.

Looking good folks! Sure putting my runts to shame!
Seeing as it's now kind of Spring, we should hopefully be getting some more contestants!

Keep up the good growth!

Ah, yes, I see that bud on yours KAOS. It looks a lot more lonely than mine though.....

;) BWAHAHAHA

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
Looking good folks! Sure putting my runts to shame!
Seeing as it's now kind of Spring, we should hopefully be getting some more contestants!

Keep up the good growth!

Ah, yes, I see that bud on yours KAOS. It looks a lot more lonely than mine though.....

;) BWAHAHAHA

Just wait until you soil warms up a bit TBG and you gonna have plenty of action.

I must admit that these Amarillos are really fun to grow. Out performing my long sweet peppers and cayenne peppers both of which are quick growers.

Either that or I'm growing Devil's apples

All are still looking really healthy for me. I took some scissors to mine today and culled back all but one per cup.
vD2gTeyl.jpg

OQGpooHl.jpg

One of them kind of grew horizontally for a little bit and the purplish section is laying along the ground with lots of little rootlets starting to shoot out.
KPjt93cl.jpg

Speaking of roots, I've never had them do so well! Lots of nice healthy looking roots reaching through into the bottom cups now.
GPnLKTLl.jpg

Wish I could get them outside but it's still too cold and I suspect it might be for another month or so.

Weekly update.

I have noticed a major difference in growth patterns compared to some of the more kaotic growers .
Lots of side shoots , no topping or pruning at all . Just T5 fluorescent tubes and now 2 weeks of sun by day and light by night.

P1170045.JPG

Everyone doing great by the looks of things.

When are you going to re-pot Drathag? Those poor roots

That side growth might be early exposure to some descent rays Karoo. Plants are growing nicely

Like the light Damien - Is that 5 x 10W ?

Here's a quick update. The three smaller plants are in the tent. KAOS and Audrey II relegated to patio for now.
Got some leaf burn on Audrey due to hitting it with some bug spray, but new growth this morning seems healthy.
Both are around 55cm, but Audrey filling out due to being topped.

IMG_5963.jpg

IMG_5964.jpg

IMG_5965.jpg

Very nice all round!

Today the weather was mighty fine, so I decided to start hardening off my plants, including the Amarillos. The fortnightly feeds of 1/4 strength fish emulsion look to be paying off, its up and out from here on!

Unfortunately, no pics, camera needs battery replacement and haven't got around to it yet.

:pics: Is going to come into play I think.... :rofl:

Back