• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2018 - The Farm

Well, I've been gone a few years from the board, and away from growing peppers, but looks like life is pushing me back that way again. 

I recently (last month) closed on a 25 acre farm in Central Illinois with some primo soil, and I'm going to give a commercial grow a test run. 

NzpDT8g.jpg

TrugNBb.jpg

From up on the roof, when I was doing some roof repairs on the outbuildings. Not much as far as the eye can see, but cornfields...

BZXHqMp.jpg

Has a 4 stall garage and a horse stable on the property

dHjylEo.jpg

GCjcX18.jpg

2N9v0Yf.jpg

Probably do my grow room upstairs here after I insulate it

HYVOyF0.jpg

Built some doors for the horse barn and patched the roof last month

NNO9Tcg.jpg

zfOwha1.jpg

Anyway just dropped a cold grand on seeds from pepperlover and buckeye, going to hit a greenhouse supplier up for other materials next week.

Have plans to build a 30x72' greenhouse in the spring, and a ~1200 sq foot dedicated grow room. Too late really to help with this year's grow, but next year it'll save me a lot of hassle on hardening off. 

The greenhouse, I am going to do a piped infloor heat slab, with a horizontal loop geothermal system (I own a mini excavator) that is solar powered. So heating should be nice, uniform, not create heat / cold bubbles, and not dry out plants like forced air would. I build circuit boards in my day job, so I will also build a microcontroller to handle the automated watering system with soil moisture monitors and actuated plumbing valves on the water supply.

Also plan on building a "deep winter" greenhouse for year round production. Got blueprints I made from a couple of years back, those are walled on three sides with heavy duty insulation, with the glass wall side angled to face winter solstice, so you can grow in the deep freeze months of the north. In the summer, those get hot enough to use as a natural dehydrator, replace the tables with racks for bulk drying.

Only doing a half acre or so of peppers to start with this year, the balance will be put in corn. I can't manage more than that with the labor I have available. (When you start talking thousands of plants, simple tasks like up-potting grow in to hundreds or thousands of man hours...)

Going to hire some local kids to help, school has a good ag co-op program for high schoolers, they can get school credit working on local farms. Since the plant out and harvest doesn't conflict too badly with corn, shouldn't have a problem finding labor around here.

Anyway, that's the plans.

We'll see how it goes.. er.. grows.

Illsstep said:
What are you going to do with all of the seedling-area lights after you get your greenhouses built? Sell them off?

Not sure yet. Probably sell some off next year. 

But, have to see how the greenhouse works out. I'll still probably need to do an indoor grow for Chinense as they need to get started before a greenhouse is viable each year, weather wise. We don't cross over the 12 hour sunlight threshold here until around March 15, and heating what amounts to a glass structure in February may not be possible. We've seen temps as low as -25F in February before. 

Those would work for the annuum crop, as they are fast growing enough I could start them in mid march and plant them out 60 days later in mid May. Those could live entirely in the greenhouse.

Since Chinense / etc have to be started so early, though, I'll likely always have an "indoor grow" component. Sprouting 90 days before planting is pushing it for some, 120 is better.

I have a design I made a couple years ago for deep winter greenhouses that MIGHT work which use a combination of natural sunlight and artificial light, but it's an experimental design and honestly have no idea how well it would fare.  

In those you find a spot that gets good winter solstice sunlight, based on the angle of the sun. You can easily see which trees or buildings are going to obscure it with a level and a carpenters square; like so...

e5LoPdeh.jpg

Anyway you find a place where the building is going to get a maximum of daylight on our shortest day of the year.

Then unlike a normal greenhouse, that deep winter greenhouse has one wall made of R3 clear panels, which intersect the solstice sunlight at a perpendicular angle. The rest of the structure is built of 12" stud bays and roof joists, and insulated with mineral wool, which provides R48 in the walls and ceiling. The back wall can even be buried partially to provide natural earth warmth. 

All surfaces are painted black to absorb rays, including reaction-mass water tanks under the plants. The water holds as much heat in as the very short days can muster. Even the floor gets black-painted rock to catch any stray rays and heat provided.

So you get a rather ugly building that looks like this:

NXDkw3xh.png

Now a light sensor would kick in and drive insulated motorized blinds closed at dusk, and automatically open them in the morning. That would ramp up the insulation on the glass-faced wall from R3 to R15 at night, and kick on the artificial lights for however long (4-6 hours) to complete the full "day" cycle.

Heating requirements are minimized due to the reaction mass of the water tanks, the rock lined floor, etc. The heavy R48 insulation (R15 on the case of the front window, at night) keeps as much heat in as possible.

And that's the basics of a deep winter greenhouse. Still has an artificial light requirement for crops like peppers.

In the summer, temps in there would easily approach 130F due to the heavy insulation and glass facing wall, so it doubles as a natural dehydration shack for harvests.

Your farm looks incredible and with great potential/possibilities - can't wait to see the progress through your glog.

labuyo said:
Your farm looks incredible and with great potential/possibilities - can't wait to see the progress through your glog.

Thanks! Will get something going on that front as soon as seeds hit the dirt, which should be "soon-ish"

Chilidude said:
You are thinking of building something like this:

Close to the second one anyway. 

But this is more of what I had in mind;

https://www.extension.umn.edu/rsdp/statewide/deep-winter-greenhouse/

There's a few examples of construction here;

http://practicalfarmers.org/app/uploads/2017/02/Ryan-Pesch-Deep-Winter-Greenhouse.pdf

This is the coolest Glog yet.  I'm really looking forward to watching a huge operation go from startup to harvest.  

How did you decide what quantities to grow for your different varieties?

Do you have wholesale buyers lined up already or where will you sell the bulk of your peppers?

PodHopper said:
This is the coolest Glog yet.  I'm really looking forward to watching a huge operation go from startup to harvest.  

How did you decide what quantities to grow for your different varieties?

Do you have wholesale buyers lined up already or where will you sell the bulk of your peppers?

Pretty much decided to grow in multiples of 50 so I can get statistically viable information.  This year is basically one long series of experiments* to figure out processes, procedures, shortfalls, and get over the painful part of the learning curve (e.g. dumb mistakes will be made)

I have absolutely zero buyers lined up for anything at this point. 

I do have a lady who just retired from an office job, who has an interest in going to farmers markets. She's the wife of a farmer friend of mine. So at least there's one avenue of sales.

If I can get a smoking/dehydration operation set up and running by fall, will probably try to do some direct sales via Amazon/etc of dehydrated pods, flake, and powders.

But mostly, just focusing on the grow this year to learn the ropes.

* First experiment is ongoing; comparison of peat (alone), peat + vermiculite + pearlite, and peat+vermiculite+pearlite+azomite for sprouting. I want to see which combination gets to "first true leaves" and compare germination success rates and times to germination between the three samples. I'm also curious to see if azomite has any noticeable contribution to early seedling root development when it comes time to transplant and I can examine root structure. Will repeat this experiment with coco coir when it arrives.

Woa! Now that's a comeback in style! Welcome back Trent. I was wondering where you had gone. Last you were renovating an old house in the city if I remember right ???
Anyways, good looking land and a very nice spot to grow! Good luck and you have me hooked to your glog already. Cheers.

Can always offer SFRBs on here and other sites too. But that probably won't even put a dent in the amount of product you're gonna have.

tsurrie said:
Woa! Now that's a comeback in style! Welcome back Trent. I was wondering where you had gone. Last you were renovating an old house in the city if I remember right ???
Anyways, good looking land and a very nice spot to grow! Good luck and you have me hooked to your glog already. Cheers.

Thanks man! Good to see another familiar face. 

Since I was last on here I went in to the real estate business, bought 9 rental houses, an old commercial bank building, and (now) a farm.

Also got in to construction work and have been busy building garages, renovating those houses I bought, etc.

So didn't really have much time for growing much of anything the last few years. But now that I have land...

GAME ON BITCHES!

Edmick said:
Can always offer SFRBs on here and other sites too. But that probably won't even put a dent in the amount of product you're gonna have.

Yeah no doubt. I sold about 40 SFRB's on my last garden grow, made a few dozen bottles of hot sauce for myself, ate hot peppers every night, stuffed a deep freeze completely full (actually bought one JUST for peppers), got a commercial dehydrator and made 20 lbs of flake, and STILL had to throw stuff away. That was with 272 plants. 

This grow is >3000 plants. :)

PodHopper said:

You have some giant Marconis, my friend.  I could never do that.  Probably why I'm stuck being an accountant.  

LOL! Man I used to race superbikes, this growing plant stuff is comparably low risk. :)

Since it's a test sprout each of the 3 trays are identical cell by cell, the big question is what the composition of the soil does for them during germination and for the first couple weeks before transplant.

Back