• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2018 - The Farm

Well, I've been gone a few years from the board, and away from growing peppers, but looks like life is pushing me back that way again. 

I recently (last month) closed on a 25 acre farm in Central Illinois with some primo soil, and I'm going to give a commercial grow a test run. 

NzpDT8g.jpg

TrugNBb.jpg

From up on the roof, when I was doing some roof repairs on the outbuildings. Not much as far as the eye can see, but cornfields...

BZXHqMp.jpg

Has a 4 stall garage and a horse stable on the property

dHjylEo.jpg

GCjcX18.jpg

2N9v0Yf.jpg

Probably do my grow room upstairs here after I insulate it

HYVOyF0.jpg

Built some doors for the horse barn and patched the roof last month

NNO9Tcg.jpg

zfOwha1.jpg

Anyway just dropped a cold grand on seeds from pepperlover and buckeye, going to hit a greenhouse supplier up for other materials next week.

Have plans to build a 30x72' greenhouse in the spring, and a ~1200 sq foot dedicated grow room. Too late really to help with this year's grow, but next year it'll save me a lot of hassle on hardening off. 

The greenhouse, I am going to do a piped infloor heat slab, with a horizontal loop geothermal system (I own a mini excavator) that is solar powered. So heating should be nice, uniform, not create heat / cold bubbles, and not dry out plants like forced air would. I build circuit boards in my day job, so I will also build a microcontroller to handle the automated watering system with soil moisture monitors and actuated plumbing valves on the water supply.

Also plan on building a "deep winter" greenhouse for year round production. Got blueprints I made from a couple of years back, those are walled on three sides with heavy duty insulation, with the glass wall side angled to face winter solstice, so you can grow in the deep freeze months of the north. In the summer, those get hot enough to use as a natural dehydrator, replace the tables with racks for bulk drying.

Only doing a half acre or so of peppers to start with this year, the balance will be put in corn. I can't manage more than that with the labor I have available. (When you start talking thousands of plants, simple tasks like up-potting grow in to hundreds or thousands of man hours...)

Going to hire some local kids to help, school has a good ag co-op program for high schoolers, they can get school credit working on local farms. Since the plant out and harvest doesn't conflict too badly with corn, shouldn't have a problem finding labor around here.

Anyway, that's the plans.

We'll see how it goes.. er.. grows.

In Finland we have a saying, that poor dont have the luxury to buy the cheap stuff as it wont last. This saying is still true in most cases, but after recently buying some cheap but very good quality knifes from China i can say now, that sometimes you get way more than you pay for.

QTY500 5kg compressed coco coir blocks (5500 lbs), and QTY50 1.75cu/ft (50L) loose coco coir bags on the way.

The loose bags will be easier to sell and didn't cost any extra to ship, since I was paying for a whole semi-truck anyway. 

I got a quote on Yieldlab lights at 42% under retail from a wholesale hydroponics supplier. So lights for the grow-out will cost $3870 instead of $6,570 ($2,700 off).

Cleaned up both rats nest. Evicted the mice and re-terminated all of the wiring with proper slack lengths. Some of the circuits had 4 FEET of slack crammed in to that damn box. Made it a real PITA to work with;

Before;

YJH9iZS.jpg

After;

vSmAskJ.jpg

Both lighting sub panels in

ynoLy67.jpg

Running 1" EMT 5x circuits each upstairs

DN50jVR.jpg

Every 80 inches those split off via 3/4 conduit to 2.125"x4" boxes which will each have a dual 20 amp receptacle in them.

UQjLvOH.jpg

Tables for the plants are also getting built..

CV1Ni14.jpg

kGlt0oo.jpg

Also installed weather stripping on the downstairs garage doors to keep snow from blowing in..

u1iOVQz.jpg

TrentL said:
Well, I've been gone a few years from the board, and away from growing peppers, but looks like life is pushing me back that way again. 

I recently (last month) closed on a 25 acre farm in Central Illinois with some primo soil, and I'm going to give a commercial grow a test run. 

Welcome back Trent. I haven't been around much for the last couple of years either. Just popped in out of the blue and saw your thread. :clap:

I'll be following as time allows. Good luck on the farm, sounds like a cool venture, and most importantly all that land will be a fantastic rifle range.  :dance: How is the family and the new baby, well, I guess not a baby anymore. ;)

Cheers, :cheers: I'll be around.

Jeff H said:

Welcome back Trent. I haven't been around much for the last couple of years either. Just popped in out of the blue and saw your thread. :clap:

I'll be following as time allows. Good luck on the farm, sounds like a cool venture, and most importantly all that land will be a fantastic rifle range.  :dance: How is the family and the new baby, well, I guess not a baby anymore. ;)

Cheers, :cheers: I'll be around.

She's getting big!

UFB6PcZ.jpg

Sinn said:
Wishing you all the best Trent God bless ;)

Thank you, this is all one big adventure!

Got some grow light wiring underway.. 

Panels are wired in

im45zem.jpg

All of the conduit is in place and wire pulled

86CxAx6.jpg

Getting receptacles ready for wiring

48iSW7L.jpg

2S36APb.jpg

All of the grow tables are built. 

So next week get lighting order done, to get lights on the way. 

Coco coir is on the way. Should have more than enough peat & vermiculite to get through the seedling mixes.

Looking for some other soil amendments before I do pot-up, so I don't have to rely on fertilizer so much while the plants mature. 

Will likewise track metrics to 1st true leaf, 3rd fork, and 1st flower for different soil compositions for each variety.

I need to know a more exact timeline for lead time on sprouting for subsequent years for each variety and what difference(s) develop between plants based on starting soil composition. Each year will see new experiments on that, as I will be adding / experimenting with various amendments as time goes on.

Other experiments will be run for the transplant; different soil mixes using varying ratios of 

Coco coir
Vermiculite
Pearlite

And for nutrients, varying ratios of:

Azomite
Kelp Meal
Blood Meal
Fish Bone Meal
Earthworm Castings
Mycorrhizal (2 different brands)

TrentL said:
Other experiments will be run for the transplant; different soil mixes using varying ratios of 

Coco coir
Vermiculite
Pearlite

And for nutrients, varying ratios of:

Azomite
Kelp Meal
Blood Meal
Fish Bone Meal
Earthworm Castings
Mycorrhizal (2 different brands)

Before using the coco coir in the mixes make sure it is pre-washed with clean water to get rid of the natural salt in it.  I only buy the more expensive coco coir, because it is pre-washed from the salt and i dont need to do it myself and pre-washed coco coir have a ph level of 5.5-6.5 as nothing will grow in it, if it not pre-washed free of salt.

You are not afraid to experiment with different growing mediums, so i like what you are doing here.

Chilidude said:

Before using the coco coir in the mixes make sure it is pre-washed with clean water to get rid of the natural salt in it.  I only buy the more expensive coco coir, because it is pre-washed from the salt and i dont need to do it myself and pre-washed coco coir have a ph level of 5.5-6.5 as nothing will grow in it, if it not pre-washed free of salt.

You are not afraid to experiment with different growing mediums, so i like what you are doing here.

It's double washed, low EC. My cost on it in bulk was 0.39 USD / lb or 0.86 USD / kg. I also had a pallet of 50x 50L (1.75 cu ft) bags tossed on the semi with a price of 0.20 USD / liter ($5.71 / cu ft). It's not as cost effective as the bricks but I bought it for resale. Wal Mart sells it at 3.99 for an 4 liter bag which is  $1 / L, or 5x the cost, at their "every day low prices."

Even in full pallet (67 bags) at the lowest prices I could find on Amazon, 50L bags sell for $24.61 each, when I'm paying only $10 for the same amount per 50L bag.

This is the advantage of buying "in bulk"

If you were to have told me that potting soils / etc had such an incredibly high mark-up 20 years ago, I would have developed and sold my own brand and been retired by now.

So any excess I have, I'll likely resell, try to make some of my expenses back. 

k7pn4pu.png

So far straight peat is outperforming the other two nearly 2:1 on sprouts

432 seeds in the dirt now. 3 more experimental trays, same as first three, except coir instead of peat for the main component.

Tray 3 (peat + 15% vermiculite + 15% pearlite + azomite) pulled ahead of the other two today. It was in last place a couple days ago. Quite a day for hooks;

WHph4XP.png

Just goes to show the randomness in hook times. 

Really surprised that I have so many ultrahots popping before annuums.

Also surprised with the germination speed, the heating mats I got doubled the speed of hooks vs. previous years.

Tray #2 (peat, 15% vermiculite, 15% pearlite) had a bit of an issue, it dried out today. I've been doing my best to give equal water doses to keep things even between the trays for the experiment. Unsure why it decided to go dry. Temperature of soil is same as other trays, tracking 92-95F across the length of the tray.  It got a little extra water. Yes this is an experiment, but that tray must be catching some subtle draft or something to dry out next to a very similar tray next to it. 

Seedlings look fine, I have an equal spread of 'seed heads' across the three trays (one in each tray). They are probably going to die off. Too damn small to do surgery. I've never successfully separated a seed head before and had it live. 

A little early to gather any useful data off of this chart, but worth showing now, since it shows a majority have sprouted now

dVHx7rA.png

26 of 68 varieties are still no-shows.. but that also means 42 varieties *have* showed up at the 10 day mark!

67 of the original 216 seeds have sprouted at the 10 day mark. 

Still a long way to go but I'm glad that I'm getting a wide variety.

Some of those seeds which have sprouted are *4* years old, by the way. They were holdovers from my 2014 grow which used seeds purchased in late 2013!

Grow room is ready, except for lighting. All wiring done and tested (10x 20amp circuits added in two overhead 1" EMT conduits).

tHY7DOF.jpg

ooCbJIM.jpg

Scale is deceiving in those pictures. In the first picture, I held the camera by the west window, so the window shown in the pic is 70 feet away! Those tables are big - 36" by 96" (3'x8'), ran two abreast down the center of the room until the stairwell, then I had to get a little creative on layout.

There's 360 sq. foot of grow table space in the room; enough to be a home to 3,240 4" pots.

Still working out the details on water supply and plumbing.

Interesting development today.

The tray with 1 tblspn of Azomite mixed in to the starting soil has multiple plants with their first true leaves; some true leaves are forming just 2 days after sprouting. On the two other trays, first true leaves have shown up but only after 5-6 days post sprouting.

51bOTfl.jpg

However, a half dozen smaller sprouts show some signs of nute burn, and only on that one tray.

ujY3nmh.jpg

Plus incidence of "seed heads" are 3x that of other trays. I've now done surgery on the ones that have come up this way.

I've noted that if you don't do surgery *immediately* the seed heads damp off and die within 24 hours. If you cut the edges of the seed immediately upon seeing it they have a chance.  also ones which show even a little cotyledon coming out of the seed all tend to shed it naturally, eventually. 

I also have a tricot born. Will post pics in a bit. First time I've ever seen a tricot pepper sprout.

Back