• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2018 - The Farm

Well, I've been gone a few years from the board, and away from growing peppers, but looks like life is pushing me back that way again. 

I recently (last month) closed on a 25 acre farm in Central Illinois with some primo soil, and I'm going to give a commercial grow a test run. 

NzpDT8g.jpg

TrugNBb.jpg

From up on the roof, when I was doing some roof repairs on the outbuildings. Not much as far as the eye can see, but cornfields...

BZXHqMp.jpg

Has a 4 stall garage and a horse stable on the property

dHjylEo.jpg

GCjcX18.jpg

2N9v0Yf.jpg

Probably do my grow room upstairs here after I insulate it

HYVOyF0.jpg

Built some doors for the horse barn and patched the roof last month

NNO9Tcg.jpg

zfOwha1.jpg

Anyway just dropped a cold grand on seeds from pepperlover and buckeye, going to hit a greenhouse supplier up for other materials next week.

Have plans to build a 30x72' greenhouse in the spring, and a ~1200 sq foot dedicated grow room. Too late really to help with this year's grow, but next year it'll save me a lot of hassle on hardening off. 

The greenhouse, I am going to do a piped infloor heat slab, with a horizontal loop geothermal system (I own a mini excavator) that is solar powered. So heating should be nice, uniform, not create heat / cold bubbles, and not dry out plants like forced air would. I build circuit boards in my day job, so I will also build a microcontroller to handle the automated watering system with soil moisture monitors and actuated plumbing valves on the water supply.

Also plan on building a "deep winter" greenhouse for year round production. Got blueprints I made from a couple of years back, those are walled on three sides with heavy duty insulation, with the glass wall side angled to face winter solstice, so you can grow in the deep freeze months of the north. In the summer, those get hot enough to use as a natural dehydrator, replace the tables with racks for bulk drying.

Only doing a half acre or so of peppers to start with this year, the balance will be put in corn. I can't manage more than that with the labor I have available. (When you start talking thousands of plants, simple tasks like up-potting grow in to hundreds or thousands of man hours...)

Going to hire some local kids to help, school has a good ag co-op program for high schoolers, they can get school credit working on local farms. Since the plant out and harvest doesn't conflict too badly with corn, shouldn't have a problem finding labor around here.

Anyway, that's the plans.

We'll see how it goes.. er.. grows.

TrentL said:
One thing I've gotta figure out next year on the peppers; how to help mitigate flower abortion mid summer.

We got hit with some pretty high temps frequently between June-Aug, and the black ground cover didn't help matters much. 

Above 4th or 5th node, there's virtually ZERO pods - barren forks all the way up the plant, until you get to the brand new growth, which is starting to set some pods finally - like 8 or 9 forks in. I'm missing about 2/3 or more of the production on most every plant.

The earliest plants I put out, they're pretty well loaded, they developed *just* a little faster than the big rows of peppers. 

It sucks looking at these plants which are "loaded up to a point" then there's zero green pods on any forks for the next 3 feet of plant growth. Every last flower dropped off aborted. 

In the past I've got 4 or 5 picks off of every chinense, these? I've got two, and then there's nothing left to pick - the flowers that are on the plants, IF they set, I MIGHT get before first frost. 

Maybe. But it's very possible I'll get one big pick then "done" for the year?

If you figure that out then you're my hero. Nothing set since May here...

TrentL said:
Mix P transplants, mix P has 50% more phosphorous in dry mix, than Mix N had. So far so good.

Eb3SwOH.jpg

p1qwt9T.jpg

dizQYTC.jpg

Wife's pet tomato, "Scrawny"

I'm still not convinced this is a tomato, even though it smells like one.

11N2ACR.jpg

Strangest damn tomato plant I've ever seen.

AS3pHOz.jpg

SpeakPolish said:
Who was scrawny? I tried reading through the pages but either it's too long or I missed the page.

It started way back on page 39 I think

Ruid said:
I made an order last Wednesday almost at midnight. Should it ship out tomorrow or will there be a delay?

Everything was picked yesterday, ladies were out picking peppers until 7 PM so nothing shipped until today. You should be getting a tracking # this afternoon when it goes out.

We pick peppers on Monday & only ship Monday & Tuesday so we reduce the risk of peppers sitting for a weekend in the back of a hot truck or warehouse somewhere en route.

Devv said:

If you figure that out then you're my hero. Nothing set since May here...

The black ground fabric worked against me on this, I think I had a lot more flower drop this year because more heat was absorbed. I had nodes 4-8/9 completely barren and my intra-node spacing stretched a LOT on those, plants got bushy as hell, both signs of overheating.

Next year I'll straw the fabric to cut down on heat absorption. May run some shade cloth, although, with our winds out in the open country, that might be more trouble than it's worth. Not much else I can do, really. Can't deploy misters on an acreage scale for reducing temps, would cause more probs with mold and fungus :)

My order came in! I just cut up an MoA scotch bonnet, TFM scotch bonnet and a reaper/moruga cross into a jar of Hell On The Red cheese dip!

The bag the reaper/moruga crosses were in was labeled as Moruga Scorpion but I could tell from pictures that it was a simple mislabeling.

Ruid said:
My order came in! I just cut up an MoA scotch bonnet, TFM scotch bonnet and a reaper/moruga cross into a jar of Hell On The Red cheese dip!

The bag the reaper/moruga crosses were in was labeled as Moruga Scorpion but I could tell from pictures that it was a simple mislabeling.

Haha yeah I only have *one* lonely Moruga Scorpion plant, and it's a yellow version, so it definitely wasn't moruga scorpions in the bag. :)

That's the girls getting confused. :)

FloridaCracker said:
On your website are the aji limos the Aji Limons we all know? The picture isnt one I recognize.

Either way Im sure theyre delicious

Not exactly sure what true pheno is supposed to look like, this was actually my first year growing Aji Limos.

I *do* know they taste damn good and are my go-to pick for salsa... at least, salsa that I don't want to pay a "2nd round entry fee" on the toilet the next morning. (When I'm feeling adventurous and have baby wipes in the cupboard, I will make Scotch Bonnet and/or Reaper Salsa. But every time I end up crying on the toilet like a little baby the next morning, so it's generally a couple weeks in between those adventures)

"GOD I HATE HOT PEPPERS OH WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF AAAWWWW IT HURTS UGGGGGG I NEVER WANT TO EAT ONE OF THOSE EVER AGAIN MY ASS BURNS SO BAD OOOOH THE HUMANITY"

^ Typical Saturday morning at my house, after I over-indulge on beer and ultra-hots Friday night.

Brought my work home again yesterday (this was unsold peppers from Pekin's wednesday Market; picked Tuesday, TFM and MOA scotch bonnets). They weren't going to last and I wasn't going to let them go to waste. (I have about *eight bushels* of these on the plants right now.. unsold, sigh)

1E8YqPK.jpg

Last night's "Man Snack"

L3qzd5g.png

WEuDg0l.jpg

AIpiVMw.jpg

Wish I had better cheese! Those velveeta slices are generally what I feed my DOGS for treats. I've turned in to a cheese snob, I guess. :)

The summer sausage was from another local farm, Toohill Beef, and it is absolutely the BEST summer sausage I've ever eaten.

This actually went from a snack to a bonafide dinner, because I was out light a light 30 minutes after eating it, woke up at 4 AM. Was a long day at the farm yesterday - got some new toys in, and it was "watermelon pick day" ugh.

Wcb6sBJ.jpg

^ new Lawrence Family Farm record holder there.

I tried to lift that mixer with my hoist to get it off of the skid it was bolted to and it made my hoist cry, so had to use the skid loader as a jack. :)

The ENTIRE THING is built out of 3/16" plate steel except for some of the pieces - they're 3/8" plate steel instead of 3/16".. so it's a heavy sonofabitch.

The coir buster is even heavier than the soil mixer, getting it off of it's shipping skid will be an adventure of chain falls and load calculations on what my garage ceiling girder can support.

Also those things should make next year go a LOT easier. The soil mixer will do 1 cubic yard of potting soil every 6 minutes. The coir buster can chew up and spit out hydrated coir from the 10kg blocks at the rate of 1 block every 15 seconds. (2.2 cu ft / 15 seconds).

At max production they are capable of doing 68 cubic *yards* of potting soil per day, if I had supplies, a crew to work them, and a way to bag & store the soil. (Ideally there'd be some additional conveyors and bagging / palletizing machines added to the line...)

TrentL said:

Not exactly sure what true pheno is supposed to look like, this was actually my first year growing Aji Limos.

I *do* know they taste damn good and are my go-to pick for salsa... at least, salsa that I don't want to pay a "2nd round entry fee" on the toilet the next morning. (When I'm feeling adventurous and have baby wipes in the cupboard, I will make Scotch Bonnet and/or Reaper Salsa. But every time I end up crying on the toilet like a little baby the next morning, so it's generally a couple weeks in between those adventures)

"GOD I HATE HOT PEPPERS OH WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF AAAWWWW IT HURTS UGGGGGG I NEVER WANT TO EAT ONE OF THOSE EVER AGAIN MY ASS BURNS SO BAD OOOOH THE HUMANITY"

^ Typical Saturday morning at my house, after I over-indulge on beer and ultra-hots Friday night.

Brought my work home again yesterday (this was unsold peppers from Pekin's wednesday Market; picked Tuesday, TFM and MOA scotch bonnets). They weren't going to last and I wasn't going to let them go to waste. (I have about *eight bushels* of these on the plants right now.. unsold, sigh)

1E8YqPK.jpg

Last night's "Man Snack"

L3qzd5g.png

WEuDg0l.jpg

AIpiVMw.jpg

Wish I had better cheese! Those velveeta slices are generally what I feed my DOGS for treats. I've turned in to a cheese snob, I guess. :)

The summer sausage was from another local farm, Toohill Beef, and it is absolutely the BEST summer sausage I've ever eaten.

This actually went from a snack to a bonafide dinner, because I was out light a light 30 minutes after eating it, woke up at 4 AM. Was a long day at the farm yesterday - got some new toys in, and it was "watermelon pick day" ugh.

Wcb6sBJ.jpg

^ new Lawrence Family Farm record holder there.
The problem is not the peppers,it’s the Corona beer. [emoji16]
Do you have buyers lined up for your Organic Soil yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PtMD989 said:
The problem is not the peppers,it’s the Corona beer. [emoji16]
Do you have buyers lined up for your Organic Soil yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh hell no, no buyers for organic potting soil yet. And to be honest, I want to do another year or two of tweaking to make sure I really get it right. As it sits, when I used my seeding mix on a larger scale (isolation peppers), it *really* depleted within a month. I mean, not sure I can expect (or get) better results, but I don't want to prop stuff up on liquid fertilizers any more than I have to. A - it's a pain in the ass, and B - it gets expensive (labor and materials)

What I *need* though is kind of a staggering amount of potting soil for my own use, and in that respect, the equipment is a worthwhile investment. It took me about 2 hours to rehydrate/ break up coir / mix dry ferts per every batch of 2 cu ft of potting soil. So figure an hour per cubic foot, to mix; rehydration and breaking up the coir blocks takes a long time, breaking up clumps in the worm casting, that takes time, hand mixing it all in together, that takes a LOT of time. 

The soil mixer should break up clumps pretty good, considering how tight of a fitting there is on the agitator and the drum. So that'll save time not having to break up clumps of worm turds. (They're moist, and when palletized, it compresses in to hard lumps of worm turds.)

Anyway doing the math for what I need (or know I need so far) for next year's transplants, and isolation grow:

3200 4" pots (for peppers) = 204,800 cu in = 118.51 cubic feet = 4.3 cubic yard

360 #15 pots (2 cu ft) (first isolation transplants) = 720 cubic feet = 26.66 cubic yard

Based on how long it took me to mix by hand if I didn't change *something* *somewhere* it was going to take me 832 hours or 20 weeks to mix that much soil by myself.

The coir buster machine rehydrates coir as it goes and it does it at the rate of 2 cu ft per 15 seconds. Much faster than a half hour soak + manual breaking up of the block.

The soil mixer does 1 cubic yard of material in 6 minutes.

So it's conceivable, that one man, working completely alone, could finish the *entire* run of potting soil for the transplants in a half a day. Instead of 20 weeks of man hours. :)

Soil mixing was my *single* biggest time consuming pain in the ass job this year. Next year it'll (fortunately) be the least of my worries. I was planning on 300+ isolation plants this year but ran out of man-hours. We only got 70 pots done, and each was only 1/2 full, at that. The plants grew pretty stunted in 1 cu ft of soil (7 gals), which is to be expected, considering the strain it puts on them to not have root space.

Although truth be told, they're all still alive, which is impressive for an organic fertilizer, 3 months in a container way too small for their growth. In the last few weeks we had to finally start feeding them fish emulsion, as they started yellowing towards the end of august (no fertilizers whatsoever other than the potting soil from May - August). 

So I guess the potting soil mix I got did reasonably well. 

Just not a "full season long" mix. I'm not aware of any slow release organic ferts that'll run the distance, so probably can't avoid going liquid ferts for nitrogen, at least. 

Zombie tomato lives. I didn't get a pick but while picking seed peppers yesterday, I noticed SCRAWNY LIVES. 

I've never seen a determinate tomato come back from the grave and put on new growth after it had browned up and died, but.. it did. Not only put on new growth, but it's putting on gnarly tiny flowers again. Going to try (probably futile) to self-pollinate the dang thing.

A couple of events yesterday that are noteworthy. Forum member Sai Ias, from North Carolina, was passing through our area and stopped by the farm for a tour yesterday with his wife. Very nice folks, I wanted to send them off with a trunk load of goodies, but they were heading up further north for training then flying back, so didn't have any way to transport. Damn shame, first forum member to visit the farm, during harvest, and they didn't get loaded down with goodies! Sigh.

The other event, shortly after Sai left, Jerika came in and said "we got a problem."

I don't like problems at the farm. Had enough of them this year.

This problem is BAD.

Real damn bad.

Over the weekend we got like 30 pounds of pepper orders online that the girls were filling. 

Was going fine until they went to pick Reapers.

Someone cleaned us out over the weekend.

Picked every last damn plant, including a row of them I had hidden back behind the weeds where the old sweet corn was. They picked every damn last ripe pod we had. 

I had a few plants in the back of the tomato field they missed, fortunately (untagged private reserve I'd planted back between tomato plants, "just in case", mainly for my own private reserve for deep freeze) but we were only able to come up with a few pounds of reapers, and there was like 15 pounds of Reaper orders to fill. So we had to substitute in Moruga / Reaper hybrids.

Whoever did it was VERY f**king selective. They picked Reaper plants clean and left Butch T and Moruga Reapers on either side of them completely intact. Those plants were still loaded down. Reapers were cleared of every ripe pod AND whoever did it even picked up all of the damn loose pods that had dropped (the first pods which hadn't been picked yet; some of the F1 / F2 nodes had dropped to the ground). 

There's only a handful of people that even knew I was growing reapers on the back side of the sweet corn patch, that was never part of any tour on the farm, so whoever did this knew our layout. Which kind of limits suspects down to a few ex-employees.

No video, no proof, insurance deductible is higher than the amount stolen, so can't really do much about it, but whoever it was got away with about $1500 in produce over the weekend.

MAN that pissed me off yesterday.

If someone was hungry and stole a watermelon or something, hell, let 'em, no biggie. I don't mind a little crop loss if someone's hungry, we donate off so damn much each week.

But to pick my most valuable crop clean, and one that I had lined up for sale, at that..! oh man. That REALLY got under my skin.

Back