• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2018 - The Farm

Well, I've been gone a few years from the board, and away from growing peppers, but looks like life is pushing me back that way again. 

I recently (last month) closed on a 25 acre farm in Central Illinois with some primo soil, and I'm going to give a commercial grow a test run. 

NzpDT8g.jpg

TrugNBb.jpg

From up on the roof, when I was doing some roof repairs on the outbuildings. Not much as far as the eye can see, but cornfields...

BZXHqMp.jpg

Has a 4 stall garage and a horse stable on the property

dHjylEo.jpg

GCjcX18.jpg

2N9v0Yf.jpg

Probably do my grow room upstairs here after I insulate it

HYVOyF0.jpg

Built some doors for the horse barn and patched the roof last month

NNO9Tcg.jpg

zfOwha1.jpg

Anyway just dropped a cold grand on seeds from pepperlover and buckeye, going to hit a greenhouse supplier up for other materials next week.

Have plans to build a 30x72' greenhouse in the spring, and a ~1200 sq foot dedicated grow room. Too late really to help with this year's grow, but next year it'll save me a lot of hassle on hardening off. 

The greenhouse, I am going to do a piped infloor heat slab, with a horizontal loop geothermal system (I own a mini excavator) that is solar powered. So heating should be nice, uniform, not create heat / cold bubbles, and not dry out plants like forced air would. I build circuit boards in my day job, so I will also build a microcontroller to handle the automated watering system with soil moisture monitors and actuated plumbing valves on the water supply.

Also plan on building a "deep winter" greenhouse for year round production. Got blueprints I made from a couple of years back, those are walled on three sides with heavy duty insulation, with the glass wall side angled to face winter solstice, so you can grow in the deep freeze months of the north. In the summer, those get hot enough to use as a natural dehydrator, replace the tables with racks for bulk drying.

Only doing a half acre or so of peppers to start with this year, the balance will be put in corn. I can't manage more than that with the labor I have available. (When you start talking thousands of plants, simple tasks like up-potting grow in to hundreds or thousands of man hours...)

Going to hire some local kids to help, school has a good ag co-op program for high schoolers, they can get school credit working on local farms. Since the plant out and harvest doesn't conflict too badly with corn, shouldn't have a problem finding labor around here.

Anyway, that's the plans.

We'll see how it goes.. er.. grows.

The only real "change" is when we pick everything not yet sold and load it on to a semi truck, there might be a bit of a delay before we can ship any orders from that point. Gotta let enough pods ripen again.

So if we clear the field of ripe pods on September 15 (as an example), if we get an order Sept 16 it might be a week or so before we can get enough ripe again to fill it. But those orders received *between* big picks will get first priority; we'll fill those before we sell the remainder wholesale on the open-ended contract.

We were doing a plant inventory and when I did my walkthrough on last Friday, based on a sample of each plant, what is ripe, what is green, and what flowers were present, I was estimating something around 1500 lbs of just Scotch Bonnets between now and end of October.

So filling Internet orders of "a half pound here, a pound there" is .. no big deal. Won't make a dent in the overall scale of things. 

The big standing order means at least that stuff we don't sell ourselves gets sold. Now keep in mind this is wholesale order so $/lb is significantly lower than small orders. So it's not like we're gonna make a fortune (I'm *deep* in debt now over this), but at *least* it lets me meet payroll without losing further cash this year, and keeps the harvest from going to waste.

TrentL said:
The day I was hoping to have arrive, has also arrived. 

I just finished a phone call, and our entire pepper crop is now sold. 

We will still pick & ship internet and (a small amount) for farmers markets through the end of the season, but the HUGE amount of pods in the field which would otherwise go to waste are now sold.

Everything we don't pick & ship to direct consumers, or the 1/8 bushel of each type we pick for farmers markets each week, will be picked, crated, and loaded on to a semi truck (probably every other week, to allow enough pods to ripen), to make it's journey to the processing center. 

Next year we will get a production order so we know exactly what that place wants, and it'll be pre-arranged. So no guess work regarding "what the heck do we plant???" :)

What a massive relief.

That is awesome Trent. Congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's MOST awesome is very soon, when we do our very first "really big pick", I can finally post something better than "here's my plants..." 

I've probably got upwards of 80 bushels to pick right now, and that's going to make for some *damn epic* bounty shots. :)

I'm so stoked.

Wow!  Congratulations on landing that customer for your peppers!

This Glog has definitely out-kicked the coverage in providing unexpected drama!

It would be interesting to save at least enough seeds to do a test grow next year to see how much cross-pollination you have.

For example, save some seeds from some of your mild peppers.  Since heat is usually a dominant trait, you'll have an easy way to test for cross-pollination with one of its hotter neighbors.

But if you're growing peppers for sale, I would guess both you and your customers will find it frustrating sorting through the surprises if you don't isolate somehow.  :)

DontPanic said:
Wow!  Congratulations on landing that customer for your peppers!

This Glog has definitely out-kicked the coverage in providing unexpected drama!

It would be interesting to save at least enough seeds to do a test grow next year to see how much cross-pollination you have.

For example, save some seeds from some of your mild peppers.  Since heat is usually a dominant trait, you'll have an easy way to test for cross-pollination with one of its hotter neighbors.

But if you're growing peppers for sale, I would guess both you and your customers will find it frustrating sorting through the surprises if you don't isolate somehow.  :)

Oh, I'm just gonna roll the dice and see where it lands, for the most part. Most of the stuff I grow is on the hot side. It'll be easy to see pheno differences and, to be honest, I'm kind of curious to see where it goes if you have a big ass melting pot. If they grow true, great, if not, I'll red-flag them in the field so they get harvested separately - if they are good tasting, they'll get selected for F2 development the year after, etc. :)

The Tekne Dolmasi (which we will grow a LOT of that big sweet stuffing pepper next year, that was our most popular pepper by far at farmers markets), will probably be very safe as those were grown pretty far away from the others. Those are the only sweets I worry about developing heat, I need those to *remain* ultra sweet. I may even see about contracting out a stretch on another organic farm just to grow a seed crop of those in strict isolation, next year. 

Stuff I grow on contract for next year, for our 'mysterious benefactor'  will be done with his seeds, so he can control quality of what he's getting. (I'm sure y'all can figure out who it is from the prior post with a little deductive reasoning, just not gonna name drop here because this stuff shows up in Google search, and he doesn't want every-brother-and-their-cousin calling him, I'm sure)

Speaking of name dropping, Justin (whitehotpeppers) was also contacted to get his ass over to the farm and pick some pods if he wants open pollinated seeds. :)

They may be OP but they *are* certified organic and he can market them as such. He was a big help this year, I'm just time constrained and can't take on a load of processing. Least I can do is extend him the opportunity to come and pick some likely candidates. Most of the pollinators avoided the peppers, they were drawn to the cucurbits, so not too awfully worried about crosses. There will be some, for sure, but I'm betting a much higher percentage is true than not.

The others who sent me seeds this year are gonna get a care pack in the mail towards the end of the season :)

Alrighty guys and gals. Time to brag on TrentL a little. Last week I was the recipient of a bad shipment of peppers. NOT TRENTS FAULT at all. Probably sat in the heat too long. I let him know, Soley for the purpose of information, so he knew and could make any changes he needed regarding shipments. He offered to replace my order, I said no need some were still good and I could use them. Trent being the guy he is would not have it and he sent me another shipment, this time with freebies.

Hell, some of these I don’t know what they are. But here is what got sent and ZERO bad peppers. Trent I appreciate your kindness and look forward to doing more business with you in the future.

e0269454269443f679743f7c3c4331ef.jpg
4e5e5b697ba858d5ecf9780e583ad1eb.jpg

Not sure what these are
b2b99a3a2b72addcd58d1a43244ab245.jpg

Also, what kind of jalapeño is this
1ca037ccb3cb8907a0f5878c1b15d8d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, with the heat still being "stupid hot" out on the replacement order, plus it being a shortened holiday week, I sprung for 2 day air. Told the wife to grab a big box and pack it full, looks like she loaded you up pretty good.

Sorry about the first bad order, man. We will be watching weather & shipping time more closely in the future; if it's stupid hot out, and it's a 3 day ride in the back of a truck, we might delay an order if it looks like temps will drop the following week on the forecast, or upgrade to a 2 day service and eat the difference, rather than deliver bad stuff!

Also those three big plates w/ yellows, those look like a mix of Big Sun Hab and TFM scotch bonnets. The scotch bonnets are flatter, and there's a very subtle color variation between TFM's and big suns. 

I also happened to plant those damn things in rows right next to each other, and they are close enough they like to invade the other row's turf. We have to "crawl under" the canopy to harvest, real PITA. Occasionally TFM's end up in Big Sun bushels or vice-versa, as the branches will be poking in to the center of each other :)

SpeakPolish said:
Question for you, would you want to this again next year? Or would you change stuff up a bit?

Hell I wouldn't do it the same way again next year, nooooo way. Everything is changing. 

From the way I load up starter trays, to the way I do indoor irrigation, to the spacing of the peppers when we transplant, how we support them, etc.. all changing.

The way we do cucumbers, tomatoes, various melons, sweet corn, etc.. all changing.

Everything except peppers will be succession planted next year. EVERYTHING. Which means we'll be in a constant churn of small plantings from early April, clear up to frost (last of the cover crops seeded when the peppers come out).

Mid winter we'll be doing at least 3/4 acre in fruit trees, too, so there's plantings in Feb/Early March if the ground is workable.

500 lbs of watermelons ordered this week, my back is gonna hate me...  each melon has to get picked up 8 times for retail, 6x for wholesale.

1x to pick, then carry out of field to a pile on the side
1x to move from pile to vehicle
1x to move from vehicle to inside for wash
1x to wash
1x to rack
1x to pallet

if it's retail instead of pallet 
1x to load in van
1x to unload from van and in to market

then if we don't sell it 2x more to load back in van then unload back at the farm to rack

Makes you get sick of carrying melons after a while :)

We have about 80,000 pounds of them to harvest yet. 

Which (best case) is 480,000 pounds of weight to lift, (worst case, 10x, 800,000 lbs)

The Tekne Dolmasi (which we will grow a LOT of that big sweet stuffing pepper next year, that was our most popular pepper by far at farmers markets), will probably be very safe as those were grown pretty far away from the others. Those are the only sweets I worry about developing heat, I need those to *remain* ultra sweet. I may even see about contracting out a stretch on another organic farm just to grow a seed crop of those in strict isolation, next year.

Tekne Dolmasi is crazy good eating if you want a sweet pepper. I had very little problems with them such as virtually no end rot or soft spots. Just a great sweet pepper. Way better than a common sweet red bell.

Wife found a turkish cayenne plant throwing off odd pods today.

VBYC6EA.jpg

Might have a contender for Trent's Turkish Pecker Pepper if it grows stable F2 and beyond. :)

Well, now we know that Pepper Joe's version of the same had to have been half-cayenne. No idea what the other donor was. 

Back hurts.

R4V12Bh.jpg

VQ8uioF.jpg

ETPycI5.jpg

1gX6hdS.jpg

Jerika dropped one, baby Gabby dove in head first.

AJNLhyr.jpg

1025.78 pounds of melons harvested today.

Next year's bean seeds are ready.

zOKJUOt.jpg

Frog pond doing good, blue clay under brown clay, holds water like a champ.

a9SWdOF.jpg

D2EcUlT.jpg

Now that I know it holds water, gonna pump it and expand it to the full planned 100x60 size.

then STOCK it. :) :) :)

I'm ready for our "big pick" but still haven't heard back what $/lb we're landing at yet, hesitant to pull the trigger on $900 worth of 1 1/9 bushel boxes if this falls through, wife would shoot me...

83RZE1E.jpg

Back