• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2019 the year of the Scotch Bonnet

I have more than enough SB seeds now, way more than I have room to grow for, so I decided to create a poll to let you people help me in selecting the most interesting varieties! :)

I'm not going to start my grow just yet, that will have to wait for somewhere in February. That is, if I can wait that long! :D

I want to limit my grow to 10 varieties. I can stretch this to 12 if absolutely neccessary but I prefer not to.

So let me know what you think!

Both good lists. I'm growing 6 or 7 of those you mentioned. So, I'll keep tabs on your progress.
John mentioned the mustard EO, which is said to have less heat. I also agree the SB7J is worth including.
Even if it lights you up, I think it's a good one to grow.

Wowzer, nice selection, Marc. Enough varieties to be
super interesting. Small enough to keep track of it all!

Good luck with these, my friend!

I didn't vote officially, bc I'm not sure what criteria to use to decide "interesting." Papa Dreadies have the coolest backstory, a super-tangrams take off a fellow THP guy whose love for Jamaica, Reggae, and Bonnets led him to selecting and stabilizing his version of the ultimate yellow Bonnet. Erin was the guy that we all want to be, and both versions of his Bonnets are delicious and beautiful. Only drawback is, I've found the plants to be less than vigorous, especially at germination and shortly afterwards. I know that some ppl have had excellent luck, but I know others have had similar experiences to mine.

My snarky, tongue in cheek choice would be the MOA, which are interesting bc they don't seem stable, which makes me giggle bc they were borne out of an effort to ***restabilize the SB variety. I grew 9 MOA plants in 2019. Two pushed out red pods, three consistently threw off-pheno shapes, and none but the red ones were very productive. Like most Bonnets, MOAs are great chiles, but in my opinion, they are the most overrated Bonnet available. Flavor is decent, but too grassy/annuum-ish for my taste.

The SB I am most stoked to grow in 2019 is the Boatman, mostly bc they look awesome and I haven't tried growing them just yet.

One that's not on your list but that I grew in 2018 is the Walton Farm SB. I got seeds from a feels here on THP named Lee. Very unique chiles; they look like a typical yellow SB but with a bit more of a "matte finish," but they were considerably milder and the flavor profile was unique. They had sort of a musky taste/aroma that I struggle to describe effectively. It's a flavor that I'm pretty sure it's present in other SB varieties, but it's far more prevalent in the Waltons. Backstory is, Lee has a neighbor from the Caribbean and he got pods/seeds from the neighbor...

If I had to suggest which is the best to grow, of say TFM, though. They might not be very interesting, but the plants are strong & hardy, productive, and the pods are large, delicious, and mostly consistent. I think they taste the best, overall. Biggest complaint is, they have thinner walls than many other Bonnet varieties... Definitely not a big deal

Hey, Rob, good to see you on the forum!

I thought the MoA was the product of the Ministry of 
Agriculture project to standardize the Scotch Bonnet.  
Steve's (one of the THP members) uncle works or 
worked there, and sent him the seeds, which he very 
generously shared with the community some years back.
I'll look back in my glogs to try to find the info.

I have had some nice pods from my MoA, but like you,
have had some strange phenotypes on a couple of 
plants, while others produce great pods.

I guess that's why it's good to grow more than one plant 
of a variety!

PaulG said:
Hey, Rob, good to see you on the forum!

I thought the MoA was the product of the Ministry of 
Agriculture project to standardize the Scotch Bonnet.  
Steve's (one of the THP members) uncle works or 
worked there, and sent him the seeds, which he very 
generously shared with the community some years back.
I'll look back in my glogs to try to find the info.

I have had some nice pods from my MoA, but like you,
have had some strange phenotypes on a couple of 
plants, while others produce great pods.

I guess that's why it's good to grow more than one plant 
of a variety!
Hi Paul, you are quite right re: the MoA origin story, so I rechecked my post and saw that my phone auto-incorrected the word "restabilize" to "destabilize." I have since fixed it, and added the rest of my post, which I had inadvertantly posted before completion.

Sorry for the confusion.

I like MoAs just fine, and I wouldn't want to dissuade anyone from growing them, but they'll be absent from my 2019 grow. My staple Yella Bonnets are TFMs and Foodarama/Beth Boyds. The gardenspace i'd devoted to MoAs last year will be used for Boatmans and Schneider's in 2019.

Now, I have to apologize for these multiple long-winded posts on someone else's GLOG. I get carried away by the SB topic every time, but I want trying to be rude. . .

Bicycle808 said:
Hi Paul, you are quite right re: the MoA origin story, so I rechecked my post and saw that my phone auto-incorrected the word "restabilize" to "destabilize." I have since fixed it, and added the rest of my post, which I had inadvertantly posted before completion.  :rofl: I know, bud, I hate spell-check sometimes

Sorry for the confusion.

I like MoAs just fine, and I wouldn't want to dissuade anyone from growing them, but they'll be absent from my 2019 grow. My staple Yella Bonnets are TFMs and Foodarama/Beth Boyds. The gardenspace i'd devoted to MoAs last year will be used for Boatmans and Schneider's in 2019.

Now, I have to apologize for these multiple long-winded posts on someone else's GLOG. I get carried away by the SB topic every time, but I want trying to be rude. . .
You growing anything besides Bonnets?

Bicycle808 said:
Hi Paul, you are quite right re: the MoA origin story, so I rechecked my post and saw that my phone auto-incorrected the word "restabilize" to "destabilize." I have since fixed it, and added the rest of my post, which I had inadvertantly posted before completion.

Sorry for the confusion.

Don't apologize, keep talking! I love to read this!

Now don't tell me to start looking for that Walton Farm Scotch Bonnet! :D
OK, I already googled it without success...

Please feel free to suggest changes to my current list! ;)

MarcV said:

Don't apologize, keep talking! I love to read this!

Now don't tell me to start looking for that Walton Farm Scotch Bonnet! :D
OK, I already googled it without success...

Please feel free to suggest changes to my current list! ;)

Lee Chipps-Walton is the guy with the Walton Bonnets.  He is "Fauxton" here on THP, and he is the admin for a SB enthusiast group on the Facial Book.  I think it's called "Scotch Bonnet Pepper Aficionados."  Lee might send you seeds or, I think I might still have some, if you're interested. I know you're in the UK frikkin' Belgium, so shipping might take longer than you'd like... 
Mr. West said:
I thought about getting some schneiders too, but decided I have enough yellow for now. They do look good.
Yellow Bonnets are the only Bonnets...I say this, even though I grow a bunch of other "Bonnets," too.

Bicycle808 said:

Lee Chipps-Walton is the guy with the Walton Bonnets.  He is "Fauxton" here on THP, and he is the admin for a SB enthusiast group on the Facial Book.  I think it's called "Scotch Bonnet Pepper Aficionados."  Lee might send you seeds or, I think I might still have some, if you're interested. I know you're in the UK, so shipping might take longer than you'd like... 

I'm certainly interested but I never communicated with Lee before so I don't think it's appropriate to go knocking on his door and ask for seeds...  :scared:

Couldn't wait any longer and got started with my seeds!  :woohoo:  It's not all scotch bonnet though...

Here's my final growing list:

SB Black River Red
SB Cappucino
SB Chocolate
SB Foodarama Yellow
SB Papa Dreadie
SB7J
Scotch Brains
SB Stuffing
SB Trenton Farmers Market

And then I also have the PDMxBMJ F6 white and purple going, and also 2 annuums that I already started weeks ago from seeds I obtained from dried pods. I didn't intend to keep those annuum seedlings; they were originally meant as a test germination. But as the germination ratio of one of the varieties was very low I decided to keep them both. Those annuums are the Cirereta (hot) and Tap De Cortí (sweet), both Mallorcan heirlooms.

Now I still hope I can get my hands on the Walton Farm scotch bonnet! :D

A quick shot of the Cirereta and Tap De Cortí. I don't know which is which as I forgot to label them...  :oops: But time will tell! ;)

DSCF0441_xt_800.jpg

MarcV said:
Couldn't wait any longer and got started with my seeds!  :woohoo:  It's not all scotch bonnet though...

Here's my final growing list:

SB Black River Red
SB Cappucino
SB Chocolate
SB Foodarama Yellow
SB Papa Dreadie
SB7J
Scotch Brains
SB Stuffing
SB Trenton Farmers Market

And then I also have the PDMxBMJ F6 white and purple going, and also 2 annuums that I already started weeks ago from seeds I obtained from dried pods. I didn't intend to keep those annuum seedlings; they were originally meant as a test germination. But as the germination ratio of one of the varieties was very low I decided to keep them both. Those annuums are the Cirereta (hot) and Tap De Cortí (sweet), both Mallorcan heirlooms.

Now I still hope I can get my hands on the Walton Farm scotch bonnet! :D

Nice list of SBs, good looking plants too.

Really looking forward to your bonnet Grow, Marc.
And to seeing your awesome skills at work on Tristen's cross!

Back