• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

7 pot Jonah x Pimenta da Neyde

Here are two pods starting to ripen. They are a lot less tan than the others (I think the plant is shading them).

9553707532_82547caf29_c.jpg

Some photos taken earlier, last week, showing variation in tanning:

Far View

9521980702_2a7e1a6898_c.jpg

The greener one on the left is the same as the one on the right in the first picture (ripening pic):

9550964775_fee3df14d1_c.jpg

Close up

9550959803_87cd522d42_c.jpg

Underneath a pod (I think it's the left one in the above photo):

9553750374_e3ae374793_c.jpg

Nice tanned one:
9553758534_4e36f74f33_c.jpg

Thanks for the update Dulac.

Personally i think this version is a good F1 line to grow out. Longer pods with a bulky waistline, makes it unusual and recognizable. The cool looking plant is a bonus.

Pepperhead said:
Those are awesome looking. Might have to hit you up for some of those.
I hope you do. The pimenta da Neyde is a very odd pepper plant. However, its yields are horrible. The F1 here has greatly improved yields and peculiar traits (large middle and lots of purple tanning). Some of the F2s might have bad yields, but we can select for the ones that have great yields like the F1 parent.

Jetchuka said:
Thanks for the update Dulac.

Personally i think this version is a good F1 line to grow out. Longer pods with a bulky waistline, makes it unusual and recognizable. The cool looking plant is a bonus.
I agree. It looks quite distinct. It also has a good yield (hybrid vigor at its finest).

Edit:

Father pimenta da Neyde from last year:

7686136996_a16661126f_c.jpg

Mother Jonah (hottest 7 pot I've ever eaten):

9569184828_0539561ca8_c.jpg

Edit again: I tried to grow another pimenta da Neyde to backcross the F1 plant to get more purpling, but the seeds were not viable from picking them too early (hard to tell when they are ripe because they stay purple). I'm going to overwinter the F1s for crossing and maybe backcrossing if I get my hands on pimenta da Neyde seeds.

Another edit: People who receive seeds might want to try to backcross with either parent. You could even backcross with relatives such as the 7 pot original.

If there are more seeds in the end of the season after the others have gotten their share, I would love to transfer some money to you so you could send me some. WICKED plant!!!! They should definitely be grown in Santa's country, Norway, next year :D 

NorwegianChili said:
If there are more seeds in the end of the season after the others have gotten their share, I would love to transfer some money to you so you could send me some. WICKED plant!!!! They should definitely be grown in Santa's country, Norway, next year :D

Hopefully there will be enough seeds this season. Love for our European friends to get there hands on some.

They are starting to ripen to red. So far the green ones shaded by the plant have ripened. It seems the dark purple are taking longer or don't show red when ripening. we will find out :) .

Pics of ripe 7 pot x Pimenta da Neydes on the plant:

9620296745_c9a9316735_c.jpg

9623465006_d6be6f4f76_c.jpg

9623566060_eaafe2568e_c.jpg

Slight purple/brown blemish on this one:

9620227639_7a31c75433_c.jpg

The guts of the ones in the two above and in the second picture:

9623464050_97cd685684_b.jpg

The Pimenta da Neyde's flavor mostly took over. It has a 7 pot Jonah aftertaste. What I found interesting about the Pimenta da Neyde"s flavor was that it had a long aftertaste. They are pretty hot, but not as near a 7 pot Jonah. I successfully crossed (set fruit) one of the F1s with a TS Moruga, which will be interesting to see what happens for next season.

She's a beauty! I posted a request for a sort of community project/assistance in stabilising a similar cross with PDN on another Chilli website. I'm glad to see someone else is attempting the same/similar thing. If it's of any help, I'll do the same cross from different parents next season to share to help add to the gene pool. But would love some seeds from your cross if you have any available.

Capsaicin Pirate said:
She's a beauty! I posted a request for a sort of community project/assistance in stabilising a similar cross with PDN on another Chilli website. I'm glad to see someone else is attempting the same/similar thing. If it's of any help, I'll do the same cross from different parents next season to share to help add to the gene pool. But would love some seeds from your cross if you have any available.

A cross with different parents of the same variety is a great idea. Hopefully I'll have enough seeds to pass around to everyone in the forum. I have two plants, but they are not very big (they are the biggest on that plot. I need to fix it for next season).

All of them have been ripening to a very bright red.

cmpman1974 said:
Dulac, I tried sending you a PM, but your mailbox is full.  Can you shoot me a message when you get time?

Chris

Thanks for letting me know. I deleted some messages, so I should be able to receive them now.

I'm still deseeding pods from many different varieties. I should have enough seeds for everyone.

Edit: The flavor is really great imo. 

Back