• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod 7 pot/pod Jonah, TS Yellow CARDI

I bought seeds June last year from Peter at Semillas La Palma. I have ordered from Peter before and always have had excellent turnaround and service and the value for money is outstanding. Germination rates very good and all other varieties that I have bought from Peter (and that is a lot!) so far have grown true (or at least as I expected).

Based upon what I've seen on this forum, two don't seem to be growing true. The plants are podding up well and I'm waiting impatiently for them to ripen to get colours to confirm/disprove my suspicions. I will post a follow up as soon as I get ripe pods. I am keen to hear back on other forum members' opinions. Do these pods look to you as they should?

This one is from seed labeled 7pot Jonah Strain. The pods all look very similar in shape on this plant. I think that it looks more like a Morouga.
IMG_2637.jpg

This one is from seed labeled Trinidad Scorpion Yellow CARDI. There is some pod variation on this plant. The pics that I have seen of the CARDI show smooth pods.
IMG_2638.jpg

wow your right.. the cardi i've seen didn't look like that.. you might have gotten a cross pollinated one..you will have to wait a bit till it fully ripens to know for sure. give us and update when it does..

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I will post update pics when they ripen. Could the second pic be the Jonah? I read somewhere that there can be some pod variation with this one. Maybe I mixed up the labels on these plants.

I've seen quite a few Jonah's with that pod shape but normally just a few per plant. If you know you have them labelled correctly don't change it. If you have no idea do not guess. There is already enough confussion in this hobby. The second looks correct to me.

Ok Millworkman good point and sorry if I added to the confusion. I don't believe that they are mislabelled. I will post an update here later with ripe pods and will also show pod variation in plants. I gave away seedlings of two other CARDIs from the same batch of seeds and will get photos of the pods from these plants too, to see if they are consistent with the one I kept. Unfortunately I discarded the other Jonah seedlings.

Honestly it looks like they are switched ? The first being the CARDi scorp and the second the Jonah.

The first pic the pods in the background look pretty close to the CARDI as they have seen them.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a283/cmpman1974/2010%20Pepper%20Pod%20Pictures/P1090114.jpg

Here is the THP CARDI thread: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/14532-the-official-yellow-scorpion-cardi-grow-thread/page__st__100

I have a plant that i am 99 percent sure its a jonah and its pods look close to the second pic.

Keep us updated.

It's possible but I'm mobile and zooming in doesn't work that well. If you look through that thread you posted on our grow a few years back from those cardi scorps the second picture matches pretty perfectly with pods still on people's plants.when we pull pods and take pictures we take the best looking ones. Not ALL of them.

My point is he doesn't believe they are mislabeled. You(not you personally) can't just go around and say well it looks like this but its labeled that so it must be wrong and change the name. The Trinidad Scorpion Yellow Cardi pods look nearly identical to the plant that he has labeled as such. Jonah pods can through many different ones but the Cardi pods never show that type of wrinkling. They do not look like Morugas or Brains.

Not having a bad day at all just dont want the confusion to keep getting worse.

Seriously?
Last year I got a fresh Jonah Chili and I took some seeds to grow them. So last year I had a Jonah that looked exactly like your " fake " Jonah. The guy I had it from also planted Trinidad Scorpion yellow. I assume it was a hybrid that I was growing. The taste was incredible!

First one look like T.S M Blend or / 7pot brain strain. (Prob a cross)

The second one look like a Yellow CARDI for sure.

I have had all 3 of them and i am with Millworkman keep the tags where they are. And when you harvest take a new picture and upload and if you are unsure just mark the seeds with "7Pot Jonah not sure" or something. As Mill says there is way to much confusion in this hobby as it is :).

Another word the plant and pods looks great! Keep it up!

(Sorry for bad english) :)

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Here is a photo update. They have grown a lot in a week:

Jonah. Still no huge pod variation, all looking roughly spherical, bumpy and all have stingers. Only difference between pods is number of lobes:
IMG_2710.jpg

TS Yellow CARDI, which are looking much smoother now they are starting to mature:
IMG_2712.jpg

Still early days, will post again when they develop their ripe pod colour.

Hey Aussie,

here you can see two pictures of my last years " Jonah " plant. I took the seeds out of a Jonah Chili that stood next to a Trinidad Scorpion yellow.
It looks similar to your plant.

Hi Dismember, thanks for posting the links. Yes, your plant and pods do look very similar to mine. Perhaps the stingers on your pods are a little longer? Hard to do a direct comparison until my pods are mature, I guess. I look forward to tasting them too, after your comment about the taste!

I got photos from a friend who took another of my CARDI seedlings from the same seed stock. The plant and pods look identical to the one that I kept.

OK so the first Jonah pod is starting to ripen. Definitely not yellow, so I didn't mix up the CARDI and Jonah. Looks like red will be the final colour. Most of the pods on the plant have this bumpy scorpion shape, they are light in weight (thin flesh) and they are a little smaller than a golf ball. Anyone ready to call it a Jonah?

IMG_2847.jpg

I will post a photo of the pod when fully ripe, along with the ripe CARDI pods.

Back