• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

A Meal in a Glass

My wife has been on a health drink kick lately so I thought I would whip up my own concoction this morning. I made this with fresh squeezed orange juice, strawberries, banana, local Honey,organic flax-seed oil, frozen papaya, frozen blueberries, blackberries,raspberries and almond milk. This stuff tastes FANTASTIC !

Attachments

• fruit drink.jpg
    fruit drink.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 59
I've been doing the same (differing ingredients though) because of my fiancé. My only addition that I would say: add some yogurt to the mix, it makes it go from great to f*^~#'g amazing!

Also, beware if she buys a juicer... The juices are good and all - but on the first couple of rounds you'll POOP YOUR BRAINS OUT!
...this effect diminishes thought the more you become accustomed to it ;)

lol we've had a juicer for years but she doesn't like using it, to much work. If I had yogurt it would of been in the drink for sure. We are making a Costco run later today so Greek yogurt is on the list.

I was on a crazy smoothie kick a couple years ago. one of my favs was.
Fresh O.j.
Yogurt
Frozen peaches
Frozen raspberries
Frozen bluberries
Banana
Manitoba Harvest Shelled Hemp Seed (I used almonds before I found the hemp seed)
Kale or mustard greens
Honey

Talk about make ya feel good food.

I have been making smoothies a bunch lately.  We used to alternate between almond and coconut milk but we have recently found the wonderfulness that is Almond Coconut Blend by Silk.  Highly recommend trying it out!

Have you guys tried chia seeds in a smoothie?  Just tried the other day.  ~10 grams in 30 are protein, >42 percent of your recommended daily value of fiber as well.

They also swell up and thicken the smoothie.

chsy83 said:
Have you guys tried chia seeds in a smoothie?  Just tried the other day.  ~10 grams in 30 are protein, >42 percent of your recommended daily value of fiber as well.

They also swell up and thicken the smoothie.
My wife puts that in her drink

When I saw the title "A meal in a glass" I was hoping for something along the lines of bloody marys  :beer: but these smoothies look pretty great.

Man I meant to point out that before I started doing this weight watchers thing we were just making our own smoothies and whatnot using frozen or fresh fruits and other stuff.  Then I saw some articles online and after really looking in to the nutrition I was shocked.  Yeah, they are "healthy" in the sense they have a bunch of healthy foods, but the calorie/sugar values can easily end up off the charts.  Good thing to keep in mind when making these as I actually gained weight when I had the smoothies to replace a meal.

Also wanted to say that since I cut that out but continued on my same workout and exercise regiments I have lost right at 25 pounds in a little over 3 weeks (give or take a few days).

Love it. I like smoothies of any kind except ones with Super Blue-green algae (Spiralina)...  :yak:

Here's one for you, not a smoothie, but definitely a Meal in a Glass.

50/50 Vegetable juice and Clamato (2-64 oz jugs)
2 blocks cream cheese diced
3 avocados diced
1-2 lbs baby shrimp
2-3 jalapeños, minced
½ a bunch green onions

Serve ICE COLD.

I wish I had some right now, it's 104º out there right now. (But it's a dry heat hahahahaha)

View attachment 12532

View attachment 12531

Scoville DeVille said:
Love it. I like smoothies of any kind except ones with Super Blue-green algae (Spiralina)...  :yak:

Here's one for you, not a smoothie, but definitely a Meal in a Glass.

50/50 Vegetable juice and Clamato (2-64 oz jugs)
2 blocks cream cheese diced
3 avocados diced
1-2 lbs baby shrimp
2-3 jalapeños, minced
½ a bunch green onions

Serve ICE COLD.

I wish I had some right now, it's 104º out there right now. (But it's a dry heat hahahahaha)

attachicon.gif
104_6631.JPG

attachicon.gif
104_6632.JPG

....add some vodka and hot sauce - we've gotta deal!

Back