• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

A nice Suprise

Well Yesterday I went to my local grocery store and they had
a decent selection of chile's so I decide to pickle 2 more jars
using a different recipe.I picked up some Habs,Jalepenos,Serranos,Hot Wax,Green chile's and something they called Green Jalapenos(had the shape and color of a Numex IMO).
I took 3 tablespoons of pickling spices 2 cloves of garlic
and just a very small pinch of dill and put it into a coffee filter and tied it up so nothing could escape from the filter
took 4 cups of vinegar and put it inot a pot along with the filter and brought it up to a boil then pours it into the jars containing the peppers. then gave it a hot water bath for 5 minutes. Now here is the suprise.. I have had habs jala's
hot wax and such before but not Serranos's.Here is how I would describe it IMO started nice and sweet great flavors then slowly came the burn and man I LOVED IT!!!Glad I bought more of the serranos. Just thought I would share my losing my serrano viginity with you all.:):lol:

I had the same experience when I lost my Serrano virginity. Except, I was under the wrong impression that they were less hot than JalapeƱos, so I was surprised when the heat kept intensifying....LOL... I'm so glad they are on my grow list.

Glad to hear you liked them...They are a great pepper.

I too am glad I am growing some serranos but now I have another
problem. I need some asian/oriental/thai chile's now because g/f
called me today to say she stopped in the salvation army store
today and got me a cookbook.Martin Yans(Wok with Yan) Cookbook
for 39 cents :lol: I love watching that show :lol: so hopefully
it has some spicy stir fry recipes in it :)Zia Jian lol

I can absolutely relate......This pepper thing seems to be unquenchable. I keep finding myself wanting more. In fact my grow list next year is becoming insane :lol:

DOH!!! I said I needed some oriental types well
according to a chile's site the Burning Bush Is an oriental type
so DOH!!!:lol: I also tried the pickled Hab last night I
was expecting the worse but Wow what great flavor I actually
did taste the fruitiness in it then the burn but it was a pleasant burn guess I am building up my tolorence :)

I'd rather have serranos than jalapenos.
if you can try to get some thai chiles to grow, theres still time for seeds or get the plants at a farmers market. you wont be disappointed.

chilehunter said:
I'd rather have serranos than jalapenos.
if you can try to get some thai chiles to grow, theres still time for seeds or get the plants at a farmers market. you wont be disappointed.

Thai's are on my "next year" list :)

you guys just convinced me serranos should be on my growing list for this year..im gonna need a bigger garden lol:lol:

sounds like my friend we are training to be as cool as hippy :O! and we ate half a serano together he thought it was going to be a mild jalapeno. god his eyes got big

Well heres another cant trust a market with chile's.
Tonight I decided to polish off the last 2 pickled Habs (Orange) I had from the last batch left.(made a new one today:))
Well I got myself all ready ate the 1st fruity nice and HOT
a nice long not an ow ow ow burn but a wheew thats a hottie
then about an hour later had the 2nd expecting the same nope
wasnt even close to the heat an burn of the 1st was weak compared to it man I cant
wait til my plants produce (hopefully lol) so I will get the same from each pod

HPF do not hold your breath because not every pod from the same plant has the same heat, even on home grown
Dan

LET IT BURN

talas said:
you guys just convinced me serranos should be on my growing list for this year..im gonna need a bigger garden lol:lol:

I'm going to need a bigger closet!! Also, Pepperflyfishermen where do you get fresh habs at the grocery store? I can never seem to find them. Just pickled ones. I would love to pick some up for now.

bowhunter said:
HPF do not hold your breath because not every pod from the same plant has the same heat, even on home grown
Dan

LET IT BURN

I can relate with that because most jalapenos even fresh I feel are pretty weak. However, a guy at work gave me the rest of his he cut up for lunch. I took a big bite and I was impressed for a jalapeno that baby was pretty hot. Bit the tongue really nice:shocked::lol: That baby must have had some really optimal growing conditions!

Back