• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Admit it...you have GSH

You ran out of hot stuff one night and were forced to buy them in your local produce section.  They weren't that great looking, but you needed that capsaicin fix.  You grow the hottest peppers on planet Earth, including Bhuts, Primos, and Morugas, but for some reason you could not resist deseeding and growing...Grocery Store Habs.  Time to come clean and admit it.  I do.  I planted a few and have one in a bucket right now.  Next to my Butch T and Reapers.

It's like parking a Miata between your Lambo and Ferrari.

Tell us why.  You'll feel better about yourself.

Now that`s funny!!!

I have grown habs for many years (20+), but always bought plants from Home Depot or similar, which is another admission that might be worse than growing Hab. seeds from the store! I do buy Habaneros from the supermarket quite often, though! I like the flavour and it`s too much trouble to grow them myself anymore. And I don`t have space anymore, either. Too many Ferraris LOL

Not since I started growing indoors, I have fresh ghost 24/7/365

Grocery habs are ok, but just dont cut it anymore

I have an orange hab from Home Depot that is now about a year old.  It was my first plant and the one that really go me in to growing things in the first place, so I have a bit of a soft spot for it. 

I grow TONS of grocery store pepper seeds.
Most aren't Chinense though and they are from stores in Mexico,Peru, Syria,Turkey,Hungry,Italy,France ,Jamaica,Korea,Japan,Thailand,Viet Nam,Barbados ,lots of places.
Does that count?

Yes, I admit it, there are GSH in my fridge. 
But it's only because the orange habanero plant I bought from Wally World is some kind of half-sterile runt or something.
Here it is mid-July, and it only has a couple blooms on it. No pods!

Oh boy! My very very first seeds were GSH.
Why do I feel better about myself, you ask ?
Well, that's very simple when you are doing things like a newbie. It's that feeling after you eat a hab, you want to collect the seeds to throw 'em in the dirt as soon as possible. You know nothing about saving seeds, seed vendors, jiffy stuff like that,  you just want to germinate as fast as possible and you start dreaming about huge plants that gives you absurd yields.
And despite all, things were working out: first hooks, first set of true leaves, flowers, pods.
It's all about doing simple things that usually work out in the end.

Too funny....As I am IMPATIENTLY awaiting my plants to produce on a good scale...
yes I bought some red habs the other day and they arent too shabby..
awfully bright though...

I cut them very chunky, seeds and all, mixed them with about 2 boxes of cream cheese, and then after mixing that together and waiting about an hour, I mixed in some brown sugar to taste...HOLY CRAP IT WAS AWESOME!!!!
:onfire:  :dance:  :onfire:  :rofl:

Hot Head said:
Too funny....As I am IMPATIENTLY awaiting my plants to produce on a good scale...
yes I bought some red habs the other day and they arent too shabby..
awfully bright though...

I cut them very chunky, seeds and all, mixed them with about 2 boxes of cream cheese, and then after mixing that together and waiting about an hour, I mixed in some brown sugar to taste...HOLY CRAP IT WAS AWESOME!!!!
:onfire:  :dance:  :onfire:  :rofl:
I've bought them in the off season but never tried planting seeds.

And know what's really good hot head? Homade vanilla ice cream made with chopped hots in it. Soon as i get some more fatallis I'm gonna make a gallon. All kinds of peppers are good in it but i think that will be delish with fatalli!

Yup... My largest plant is a ~5' tall little tree that takes up quite a lot of room in my living room. Chocolate Hab from the super market. Well, It's not like they were actually labeled properly, but they sure look like chocolate habs. Germinated it last spring. 70+ fruits thus far this year, but then we had a period of much less sun...

smileyguy697 said:
I've bought them in the off season but never tried planting seeds.

And know what's really good hot head? Homade vanilla ice cream made with chopped hots in it. Soon as i get some more fatallis I'm gonna make a gallon. All kinds of peppers are good in it but i think that will be delish with fatalli!
I`ve been making a water-ice for years, based on dried hibiscus flower. You can get dried hibiscus flowers at many stores here in the southwest. Soak them in very hot (not boiling) water for about an hour, then filter. The infusion is VERY rich in vitamin C and quite tart. Add sugar to taste. Then add pepper puree to taste. I like to use habanero puree, but I have tried Jalapeño and Cayenne puree as well. Use an ice-cream maker to make a frozen mix. It`s hot, it`s cold, it`s awesome!

Nigel said:
I`ve been making a water-ice for years, based on dried hibiscus flower. You can get dried hibiscus flowers at many stores here in the southwest. Soak them in very hot (not boiling) water for about an hour, then filter. The infusion is VERY rich in vitamin C and quite tart. Add sugar to taste. Then add pepper puree to taste. I like to use habanero puree, but I have tried Jalapeño and Cayenne puree as well. Use an ice-cream maker to make a frozen mix. It`s hot, it`s cold, it`s awesome!
That sounds awesome! I'm going to have to try that!

rhm3769 said:
Ha, I tried last year and they didnt grow.... I ciuldnt even find fresh jalapenos on Okinawa, so....

okinawa has a bunch of hot chilis since there are so many people from the phillipines/china/thailand living there

cactusMD said:

okinawa has a bunch of hot chilis since there are so many people from the phillipines/china/thailand living there
pretty sure the store bought Jalapenos that my friend sowed the seeds from to get his current plant, were grown in Okinawa actually..

that being said, i've given up trying to find hot peppers in Tokyo. you can find some thais, but i don't like the way they burn that much

Back