• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

AJs 2012 Season - A Pictorial Discussion

I am getting a one day jump on last season...today is my 2012 season start...

The Germinator has been cleaned, I am using new trays for seed starting and Hoffman's Seed Starting Mix as my grow media...

If any of you decide to use Hoffman's Seed Starting Mix, be patient, it takes as much as 24 hours pre-soak to get this light weight mix totally wet...I have said it before and I will say it again...this is the cleanest seed starting mix I have ever used....clean and light weight means better root growth IMO..

12-30-11A001.jpg

All circuits and systems are a go on the germinator...am stabilizing the temperature for the next 24 hours...as you can see, the upper box is about 93F and the lower box is 85F...I have to vent the top to let both chambers reach the same temperature...

12-30-11A002.jpg

12-30-11A004.jpg
12-30-11A005.jpg

something tells me this is going to be another hot summer....close to record heat again...so the season will go as mother wants it to...I am learning each year how to change my grow techniques and am adapting to North Texas...

hope you folks enjoy this thread...if anyone has any questions or comments, they are welcome...

Wow AJ. Just wow. I know you started a few a couple weeks before me, but MAN!!! I can tell that mine growing in 68F-70F as opposed to 85F made a heckuva difference. Mine are puny. I just started fertilizing now that I repotted. I am hoping that and real sunlight will help them take off. I still have a month and a half until plant out anyway.

As usual more info then I can process in a single sitting-that "improvised " green house looks like a really good idea....
My cousin stopped by my house yesterday, repotted and set them out to harden.....then we got dumped on-6" in 4 hours.
oh well, got more starting on board in my cabin.....hehe-good thing now.
Thanks for info as always-
Have a good one-
Dave

we missed all the heavy rain but we got 1 1/2" over a 72 hour period...just a good soaking rain...not really heavy...

I bought the 75% shade cloth at Home Depot...by the way...it is 50% off right now...got a 6' X 20' piece for $17 and change...man that's cheap...it's usually $34 and change...

Wow AJ. Just wow. I know you started a few a couple weeks before me, but MAN!!! I can tell that mine growing in 68F-70F as opposed to 85F made a heckuva difference. Mine are puny. I just started fertilizing now that I repotted. I am hoping that and real sunlight will help them take off. I still have a month and a half until plant out anyway.

Jay...I know a lot of growers frown on fertilizing so soon, but I start giving them food as soon as the come out of the germinator...sometimes even before...I am up to full strength fertilize now and they get fed each watering...

good luck in your grow my friend...

Looks good AJ.... Have you ever grown them to maturity under the shade cloth? With your temps would it help?

thank you and yes, I grow them under the 30% shade cloth area since last year when I put this shade up...

here they are in their new home...they don't like this sun and heat but they will get used to it...supposed to be in the low 80s the next couple of days...

03-12-12b001.jpg

03-12-12b002.jpg

Lookin good Boss! As usual :) Im working on my own 30% shade cloth temporary structure to put my plants under for a week or so before i put them in full sun...crossin my fingers hope it works :)

Hey AJ looking like things are starting to really take shape for you ... Quick question not related to your chilli growing where do you get that weather info?? Great layout for a website. Wondering and hoping it covers other countries as well.

thanks guys...

I am pure afraid I will have to move them back in a couple of times since I already have them out..but at least I can move them

I think the weather thing is worldwide Trippa...

http://www.intellicast.com/

Looking great Ronnie! I love that shade structure, and those things are crazy healthy looking. Hope the weather holds up for ya! I love this part of the grow cuz the photos keep getting better and better! I can't wait for more. Keep em comin!

thanks MG...

since plants are green and today is St. Patricks day, I decided to give the plants outside under the makeshift shade structure their first taste of sunshine...they are growing like crazy..

These are my Trinidad varieties I am growing this year and most will be grown here, under this 30% shade cloth...

03-17-12a003.jpg

thanks MG...

since plants are green and today is St. Patricks day, I decided to give the plants outside under the makeshift shade structure their first taste of sunshine...they are growing like crazy..

These are my Trinidad varieties I am growing this year and most will be grown here, under this 30% shade cloth...

03-17-12a003.jpg
Wow...that's a lot of coolers! Party at AJ's! Looks like those guys are really loving their new home! You have a ton of new growth on those bad boys!

Inspirational!
Shane

What is the rationale for the shade cloth? I know last year you had some terrible heat and will the cloth help them to produce through it? I get high 90s to low 100s for a month and change and considered it, however, I read somewhere that the heat will still stop em from producing the cloth will just guard against some of of the sun?

Still considering putting something in for the month or two but interested in how you plan to use it.

Unreal, man. I still can't figure out how to get growth this quick. It's gorgeous.

I feed Botanicare Liquid Karma and ProGrow from hooks until they move outside plus give them plenty of light inside...IMO I think feeding them every watering is the key...

What is the rationale for the shade cloth? I know last year you had some terrible heat and will the cloth help them to produce through it? I get high 90s to low 100s for a month and change and considered it, however, I read somewhere that the heat will still stop em from producing the cloth will just guard against some of of the sun?

Still considering putting something in for the month or two but interested in how you plan to use it.

the dual shade cloth is for hardening off the plants...the 30% top layer stays there all the time...it is supposed to a little cooler than ambient under the cloth but I can't really tell...the tomato shelter is 50% and I can definitely tell a difference in heat in there...probably 8-10 degrees...but...with the temperature 105-110F, no amount of shade cloth is going to help...from what I have read, the only way to keep the temperature down in July/August is to put a misting system in and I am afraid of things being so wet and the temperature so high, nothing but bad can come of it...

Wow...that's a lot of coolers! Party at AJ's! Looks like those guys are really loving their new home! You have a ton of new growth on those bad boys!

Inspirational!
Shane

those were the coolers I bought last year to transport scorpion pods from Mississippi to San Antonio...I have 8 of them...spent over $500 for the coolers that I now have no use for except what they are being used for now...some of them still have the stickers on them from the store...

great looking plants so far! if it was only 5-10 degrees hotter at my place! LOL it pouring and windy here in SD for once! LOL

thanks Spongey...be careful what you wish for as far as the weather is concerned...

@ dvdpfstr....yes, I stop using Botanicare once the plants are outside...reason is the cost involved with so many plants...and the only Foxfarms product I have used is Light Warrior for starting seeds and it was too dang chunky IMO...

Hey ronnie, I just wanted to let you know that your TS that I got seeds from you earlier this season is doing pretty amazing for me. I didn't know if you were still selectively breeding, if you are I will be more than happy to send you some pods (if I can make it that far without screwing it up) in a shape/type you are looking to maintain.

b8bd4846.jpg

plants look great MG...a few pods for seed would be great...thanks...

AJ,

You going to bring those plants in tonight with that storm coming through? Im sure the wind is just as bad there as it is here.. seems like it's been non stop today.

-J

Back