• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting AJs 24th and Last Harvest Part 1 12-02-08

AlabamaJack

Extreme Member
My plants are looking horrible but they still have a lot of peppers on them ripening...no frost yet here in west Fort Worth...I picked 6.3 Kg (13.8 lbs) of mostly superhots....

Will finish picking tomorrow. I picked 2 1/2 hours this afternoon until it got dark on me. Maybe another 8 pounds left mostly small stuff like tepins, pequins, tabascos, cherrys, aji lemon, lemon drop...all my thais...geez it will take me hours to finish....

120208a009.jpg

here is a picture of my poor ol' orange hab I cut back to a nub on the 5th December 2007. As of todays harvest, the plant produced 2013 pods...***you can bet your sweet bippy I will overwinter my best plants again this year***

120208a004.jpg

Aj that really is sensational......

I am very impressed with the harvests you are still getting....WOW..

And 2013 chillis in 12 months....double WOW. i'm a little scared about my second year orange hab now......:)

That's a great harvest! I hope my wife doesn't see it or she will stand behind me with a baseball bat when I plant my peppers... I will grow only about 30-40 plants but if each of them will bring a few hundred pods (I don't even dream of 2013!) we will run out of freezer space, powder jars and sauce bottles not to talk about the shelves in the basement in no time.

look at that pile of chiles :cool:
2013 pods from 1 plant, congrats to ya thats ALOT of pods!! just imagine if it grew more next season :shocked:

bentalphanerd said:
hmmm 24 harvests....i'm thinking you're harvest pics will make a great wall calender

I was kinda thinking the same, or even wallpaper pics. if he spread them out & only had the chiles in the pictures.

you guys are making me think...I may try and put all of the pics together as a big collage...that's a weekend task to do when I am canning pepper products again...

I don't know where I read it or heard it but I remember something about the 2nd year plant being the best producing...maybe someone else can chime in....

thanks...

and one more time I will say....if I had not found this site last October, I would not have had as good of a season as I have had...all of you have helped me in one way or another...and for that I also say thanks...

Thats incredible AJ! That orange hab has been a goodun for sure. Do you think you can get yet another year out of it like that?

thanks all...what I have realized is that after harvesting, the real work starts...preserving the peppers by dehydrating, canning, or freezing....I have not frozen any yet because I don't have much room in my freezer...looks like the excalibur will be running 24/7 for another couple of weeks and I will be making a lot of concentrate for a while....

BrianS said:
Do you think you can get yet another year out of it like that?

Brian...I don't know whether it will produce next year as well as it has this year but I am going to overwinter it and see...only time will tell...

Twenty-four major harvests in one growing season - that in and of itself is an amazing feat. Getting over 2,000 pods off one plant is beyond words! I'd be selling clones of that plant for $10 each.

Mike

Sitting here, it's 16 degrees outside, about 3 inches of fresh snow on the ground and AJ has pictures of his last harvest yesterday...amazing! Wish it was me but I can definitely see that overwintering peppers is the way to go. That habanero outdid itself on producing. Great harvest as usual AJ.

wordwiz said:
Twenty-four major harvests in one growing season - that in and of itself is an amazing feat. Getting over 2,000 pods off one plant is beyond words! I'd be selling clones of that plant for $10 each.

Mike

Not just over 2000 pods! 2013 pods!;)

AJ: It's amazing what you harvest. It's amazing what variety of preserving methods you perform. But what nearly amazes me most is that you keep book of every single pod! I wish I was that highly organized!

thanks again all...I just have a little longer grow season than most of you do in the US...

the only reason I know to the exact pod how many O. Habs that plant produced is I started counting them early on because I thought I may get 1000 pods off this one plant and I never thought it would go over 2K....just kept adding the numbers together....

pepperfever said:
Sitting here, it's 16 degrees outside.

God it's 1°C here and I thought that was cold.

AlabamaJack said:
The only reason I know to the exact pod how many O. Habs that plant produced is I started counting them early on because I thought I may get 1000 pods off this one plant and I never thought it would go over 2K....just kept adding the numbers together....

AJ you can never have enough Orange Habs.

Back