• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Amir's 2014 rookie year

Hi All,

I have to start by saying that I am really enjoying this forum, the knowledge and general atmoshphere is great
The combination of growing info + hot food is awsome.

Going over threads here I got my mind set on a few varieties and made my first order from pepper Joe.
ordered myself:

CAROLINA REAPER PEPPER AKA HP22B

BUTCH "T" TRINIDAD SCORPION

CHOCOLATE HABANERO

CORNO DI TORO

Figured it's a nice start for my rookie year.
Well... time passed by, i was reading more and more and all of a sudden i felt my order was inadequate.
So i sent a mail to Peter at La Semillas and ordered myself:

7pot Primo              
7pot Brainstrain Yellow 
Jalapeño                
Foodorama Scotch Bonnet 
Scotch Bonnet Brown      

Peter shipped extremly fast (i got the seeds within a few days) and that really spiked my appetite, plus the seeds from PJ did not arrive yet, so i went online again and ordered:

Cayenne                   
HP22B Selected            
7pot Brainstrain Red      
Naga Viper                
7pot Barrackpore          
JAFSH Red                 
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T 
Bhut jolokia Strain I     
Black Naga                
Trinidad Douglah          
Devil´s Tongue Red        
Devil´s Tongue Yellow     
Fatalii                   
Bishops Crown             
Serrano                    
Madre de Rios             
California Wonder         
Corno Di Torro            
Sweet Hungarian           
Boldog                     

a few days after i got the seeds from Peter, i finally recieved my order fom PJ and it was time to start.
Well, almost time.   I made another small order from La Semillas, and my final grow list for 2014 is:

CAROLINA REAPER PEPPER AKA HP22B
HP22B Selected             
BUTCH "T" TRINIDAD SCORPION
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T  
7pot Brainstrain Yellow
Brainstrain Red       
7 pot Jonah
Naga Viper                 
7 pot Barrackpore           
JAFSH Red                  
Trinidad Douglah           
7pot Primo
Bhut jolokia Strain I      
Black Naga                 
Fatalii                    
Foodorama Scotch Bonnet
Scotch Bonnet Brown
CHOCOLATE HABANERO
Devil´s Tongue Red         
Devil´s Tongue Yellow      
Thai burapa
Thai Hot
Thai Orange hot
Large Orange thai
Cayenne                    
Serrano                    
Madre de Rios              
Bishops Crown              
Hot banana 
 Jalapeño
Jalapeno TAM
aji cacho de cabra (goat's horn)
Santa Fe Grande
CORNO DI TORO
Corno Di Torro             
Sweet Hungarian            
Boldog                     
California Wonder          
antalya dan
kapia paprika

I personally come with no knowledge, but my wife's family is in the growing business.  They have a wholesale nursery (meaning they grow flowering pots of both perrenials and annuals and sell to other nurseries) so I'm using their knowledge and facility to give my seedlings a good start.

Feb 14th

I had my boys and nephew  fill the trays with seeding mix
01c_zps214f1aaf.jpg

I was counting on them to help with the seeding process, but two took off immediatly.
My oldest (8) did a whole tray by himself.  the rest were done by brother in law
In fact i had my brother in law deal with the growing bit while i was busy labeling and taking pictures.
Here he is spreading vermiculite over the seeds

01e_zpsdef84750.jpg

Give them good watering, and into a humidity controled room.  Covered for the first couple of days and then left uncovered for another few days

01f_zpsb8c989b7.jpg

After a few days, moved it into the Seed starting area 

IMG_6203_zps9091e4c5.jpg

March 1st, seeds are popping
IMG_6219_zps44b74558.jpg

Overall I'm geting great germination, some are still not showing up (Fatalii is giving me problems)

March 13

IMG_6261_zps81d22db2.jpg

IMG_6262_zps6317e594.jpg

I think i'll transplant them over the weekend into 4" pots.

time for an update, overall plants are doing great.  Knock on wood i have had zero fatalities on my hot peppers.  had some lose leaves, only to rebound so I am happy.  
An overall shot of the plot (I spaced them a little more.  Far more convinient to water and handle in general)

IMG_6980_zps9393bb48.jpg

Fatalii 

IMG_6987_zps713dc408.jpg

Bhut Jolokia

IMG_6988_zpsece188f3.jpg

Great color on a scotch bonnet brown

IMG_6989_zps5f9d9b60.jpg

Butch T, pods are small, but plant is packed
IMG_6990_zps566852f4.jpg

And my reapers

IMG_6995_zps54b47e24.jpg

For processing/drying i have tried hanging  (noted to self that one should always wear gloves when pancturing alot of peppers or suffer severe hand burn)

IMG_6978_zpsdbd2d54e.jpg

I also tried leaving them on mosquito nets  (old unused :liar:  window screens)

IMG_6971_zps18bb8f7f.jpg

drying_zps05219929.jpg

An overall shot of my drying operation
overalldrying_zps2de88d09.png

dani8538 said:
All looks awesome
For drying its much better to cut them half

Thanks, and I'll try your advice.
I'm sad to say that everything i have tried drying so far has gone bad...
laying them on nets indoor: spoiled
running a fishing line through them indoors: spoiled
running a fishing line through them and tying them outside: spoiled.

Laying them on mosquito nets outside in direct sun: sun burned...

Kinda sux that most of this year's harvest has gone bad on me, i finally broke today and ordered an excalibur so hopefully i'll be able to dry the last pull and salvage something this year.  

This is probably my last big pull, there are still some green fruit on the plants and flowers and the weather is still nice so i may still get some more. Very curious to see  how the plants will survive the winter as i don't have any plans on overwintering indoors.
pull_zpsa5fbbd5a.jpg

I started preparing the peppers to be dried, started with the Trinidad Scorpion, then moved to the Fatalii and then started the reapers.
cut them in half, and deseed (kept the seeds).
I was wearing those cheap latex gloves.
now i'm not sure if in the process i've poked holes through the gloves, or they were crap to begin with but i've spent the better part of the night with burning hands, and even now nearly 24 hours later i have a burning sensation in my hands.

Some more pictures...

This is my oldest admiring a Butch T.  (I think he simply liked the name Trinidad Scorpion)
77798FA8-D2AB-477B-B049-65B2B7C57A9A_zpsn7jt1dxj.jpg

And my youngest playing hide and sick in the pepper plot

photo2_zpsab0ee2f8.jpg

Jalapenos stuffed with Feta (came out great)
6A85E0E4-CE74-468D-B611-29FA5DD2097E_zpsjvauicxd.jpg

And some short ribs and rib eye after about 3 hours.  Jalapenos had a great flavor sitting in low heat for so long, almost smoked flavor.

14B470A7-A482-4E18-AE39-126009959F9C_zpsay482otb.jpg

The jalapenos-feta looks good!
Can you tell the process?

For drying, cut in half, put in a oven on turbo mode 50c for 16-24h

I like to do what I call roasting the peppers in the oven. Slice them in half as suggested earlier, lay out on a foil covered cookie sheet. Put in oven at 160-180 deg. F. and leave them there until they are crispy. Take them straight to the spice grinder while still warm and grind them into fine powder. Pour the powder into a mason jar. When that is done, put jar in oven for a few minutes (it should be off and just cooling down) This helps to keep any lingering moisture out of the jar. When ready, put new lid on jar and set on the counter until it's cool. Once it's cool, you have a decent seal that will hold for at least 2 or 3 months until you figure out what to do with your powder.

Added: I recently got banned from my kitchen due to a lapse of timekeeping and sufficiently fumigated my house with some heavy-duty Habanero/Bhut smoke. :rofl:
My next batch will be in my propane smoker out in the back yard. Hopefully I'll have pics of it.

dani8538 said:
The jalapenos-feta looks good!
Can you tell the process?

For drying, cut in half, put in a oven on turbo mode 50c for 16-24h

Process was simple, sliced the top of the pepper, cleaned out the inside with a zucchini corer.
Stuffed it with Feta using a pastry syringe (you can use a spoon, it works just as good)
placed in a jar and topped with olive oil.
Give it a couple of days/weeks to come together, it's great.

As for drying, thanks for the advice, but after ruining nearly all my peppers i finally broke and ordered an Excalibur.
Within a couple of hours of recieving it, i got it rolling
photo_zpse2cf83a1.jpg

I've got yellow brain on the bottom, Butch-T in the middle, and Fatalii on top.

Oh, and i was also banned from the kitchen due to accesive smell, and the dehydrator was honorobly placed outside.
I guess i'll be doing my grinding outside as well if i want to maintain my relationship with my loving wife

wow man, very nice garden and nice healthy looking peppers... a little wilted from the sun .. but at least you have sun over there :)
good job

Back