• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking An attempt at smoking chile peppers...

Ok here is what I started off with. 10am

chipotle1.jpg

Here is a couple hours into the smoke.

chipotle2.jpg

And here is about the 5 hour mark.

chipotle3.jpg

The tenderloin sure was gooood eatin! I took one half and wrapped it in foil then froze it. It came out an hour ahead of the other one which we ate. I will post pics of the final chipotles when they come out in a couple hours.

Wow, beautiful peppers and the meat looks awesome too. I have never dried peppers but would like to try. I know jerky, thats it. THANKS!! Aj

Arizona Jack said:
Wow, beautiful peppers and the meat looks awesome too. I have never dried peppers but would like to try. I know jerky, thats it. THANKS!! Aj

How do your Jerky ovens work. Is it warm air or could you smoke in it? I want to try making jerky, but am waiting for deer season to start and pepper season to end.

Here's my last batch of Scotch Bonnets after about nine hours of smoking(not me, the peppers). A couple got a little crispy, but overall they turned out excellent. Smokey Scotch Bonnet sauce is next on my list.

All the clues are here for the perfect tenderloin!!

If you smoke the peppers(preferably jalapenos for my taste) Dry them in a dehydrator (like jerky) Grind that into a chipotle powder, and use that instead of cayenne in your tenderloin rub, you will be in heaven.

I give smoked jalapeno powder away for christmas every year and people can't get enough of it!

To do a quicker smoke (roughly 1/2 the time needed) I cut the peppers in half long ways.

Great info and pics guys. Hope I willbe doing the same some time next summer.:)and after eating some of it I should be doing something like this:onfire:

Samre here! After seeing the pics, I'm deffinetly trying the smoked pepper deal! We generally use the mesquite we have stacked up here. Wonder if it may be too strong? I may have to use just Oak. This summer when the ol' man fires up the pit for a brisket, it's on with the peppers!:mouthonfire:

cyotefishing said:
Samre here! After seeing the pics, I'm deffinetly trying the smoked pepper deal! We generally use the mesquite we have stacked up here. Wonder if it may be too strong? I may have to use just Oak. This summer when the ol' man fires up the pit for a brisket, it's on with the peppers!:mouthonfire:

IMHO mesquite would be too strong....

Look around at all the pecan trees growing out there in eastland....I had rather have pecan than any other wood for smoke....again, my opinion.

AlabamaJack said:
IMHO mesquite would be too strong....

Look around at all the pecan trees growing out there in eastland....I had rather have pecan than any other wood for smoke....again, my opinion.

I agree. Pecan is my smoking fuel of choice.

I like hickory and cherry but also use a lot of maple since I have lots. I don't mind a bit of mesquite mixed in too. I don't think I've tried Pecan, I'll have to see if I can find some now.

I'll bet that tenderloin absorbed some flavor from the smoking peppers.

I am limited to what krogers carries. My trick is to go at the beginning of the winter season and they have tons of Cherry, Hickory, and Mesquite in a cart that says "clearance".

Caustic Casey said:
Here's a smoke session:

Into the smoker:
20071013_0002.jpg

After the smoke!!

20071013_0004.jpg
hey casey, stellar job and that smoker is great.

okie joe said:
They look really good I wonder how long with them smoke will they keep?
hey joe,
i like to place a cookie sheet full in the freezer,so they freeze seperate and dont stick together,then i baggie all frozen pods together,this makes it easy to take out one or two,and freezeing a smoked pepper stays fresh long time.
fresh smoked is best,but this will do thru long winters.

pablo

I love smoked peppers in many dishes and sauces. Smoked choc. habanero mayonaise is one of my newest yummy creations.
One thing I've learned is to use my pepper smoker for peppers and not for bbqing meat or you'll have a lot of greasy peppers.

POTAWIE said:
I love smoked peppers in many dishes and sauces. Smoked choc. habanero mayonaise is one of my newest yummy creations.
One thing I've learned is to use my pepper smoker for peppers and not for bbqing meat or you'll have a lot of greasy peppers.

Do you mix that up each application or do you make a whole batch??

Sounds good. I'm always looking for ideas.

ok Potawie ? do you use a pan of water in your smoker or not. I going to make my first attempt to smoke some this year. I have a Smoke Master but cant get it any lower then 200 degrees so am useing the same type as you are. Is the reason I am asking you.

I've tried to do peppers with an upright propane smoker, and its too difficult to keep the temps down, even with a water pan so I use the offset firebox smoker for now until my new smoker is built;)

Back