• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Annie's 2014 Glog: MoA ferments

Updates to light shelving:

AnnsGlog2014updatetolights1_zps75e50865.jpg

AnnsGlog2014updatetolights2_zps17b151cb.jpg

Like the way mylar insulated car shades keep light in.

Seeds in flats after KN03 and H202 overnight soak:

Anns2014Glog1-19-14flat1_zps44788eea.jpg

Flat 2: "others"  (list posted later):

Anns2014Glog1-19-14flat3_zpsba6a829a.jpg

Blurry pic above? Finished this at 5am. Pic at 8am. On manual, I moved. :rofl:

Flat 3:
Anns2014Glog1-19-14flat2_zps4d14086f.jpg

Flat 4:

Anns2014Glog1-19-14flat4_zps62347ea2.jpg

List:

The Hab and Bonnet Family:

Bahamian Goat (Greg/PIC1 and Grant/JungleRain)
Brazilian Starfish (Judy/Pepper lover)
Chocolate Habañero (mine)
Elongated Black Hab (Refining Fire)
Habajolokia Brown (Old Barn Nursery/Buckeye)
Harolds St. Bart x West Indies Hab (Meatfreak/Stefan)--planted 1-21-14
Jamaican Hot Chocolate (mine and seed saved from Pia/Sanarda, others)
Jamaican Red Hab (mine 2013 from Walkgood 2012-2013)
Jamaican Red Mushroom (Refining Fire)
Peach Hab (Jason/GA Growhead)
Red Squash/Mushroom (Old Barn/Buckeye)
Scotch Bonnet Brown (Judy/Pepperlover)
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama (Meatfreak/Stefan)--new planted 1-21-14
Scotch Bonnet Long (Greg/PIC1)
Scotch Bonnet Market (Greg/PIC1)
Scotch Bonnet MoA red (Greg/PIC1)
Scotch Bonnet MoA yellow (Steve, Ramon/Walkgood/PIC1)
Scotch Bonnet TFM (mine)
White Hab Stinger Pod (Paul G)
White Habañero (Jeff/Bodeen, Jason GA Growhead)
Choc Hab Hand Grenade F3 (Tasty Peppers/Meatfreak/Stefan)—planted 1-21-14

The Supers:

7 Pod Brown x Naga (mine from Jamie/Romy6 2012)
Barrackpore (Jamie/Romy6  and Jason/GA Growhead)
Bhut Orange Copenhagen (Jason/GA Growhead)
Black Naga (JJJesse and Pia/Sanarda)
Bonda Ma Jacques (mine)
Bubblegum 7 (Pia/Sanarda and Jason GA Growhead)
Burgundy 7 Pot (Jeff/Bodeen seed)
Butch T (Refining Fire and Judy/freebie—THANK YOU JUDY!)
Butch T Yellow (Old Barn/Buckeye)
Choc Bhut x Yellow 7 F5 (Grant/JungleRain )
Chocolate Barrackpore (Jason/GA Growhead)
Chocolate Bhut (Judy/plover THANK YOU!/Buckeye)
Chocolate Moruga (Refining Fire)
Daisy Cutter MA Yellow (Old Barn/Buckeye)
Douglah (mine/Jamie Romy 6 from 2012)
Fatalii White (Greg/PIC1)
Fatalii Yellow (mine)
Funky Reaper (Scott/Devv)
Jay’s Peach Ghost Scorp (Jason/GA Growhead/Hillbilly Jeff)
Madballz (Jamie/Romy6  and Jason/GA Growhead)
King Naga (probably same as King Naga, Judy/pepperlover)
Naga Tabasco (Grant/Junglerain)
Orange 7 (Judy/Pepper lover, freebie!)
Orange Thai (THANK YOU JASON! GA Growhead!)
Peach Bhut (Judy/pepperlover, Ramon/Walkgood, Jeff/Hillbilly Jeff)
Pimenta Elisir Bhut x Neyde (OBNursery/Buckeye) aka “Lisa 1”
Pimenta Lisa F-2 (Meatfreak/Stefan) aka "Lisa 2"--planted 1-21-14
Red Jonah (Jamie/Romy6)
Red Thai (sample seed)
Trinidad Scorpion Red (Romy6/Jamie 2012 seed)
White 7 (Jason/GA Growhead, Jamie/Romy6)
White Bhut (Ramon/Walkgood)
Yellow 7 Giant (mine and Jason/GA Growhead/Judy)
Yellow Bhut (my seeds from 2012/Hillbilly Jeff 2013)
Yellow Brainstrain (mine/Judy)
Yellow Jonah (Grant/Jungle Rain)
Yellow Moruga (mine)
Yellow Primo (Jamie/Romy6)
Tabasco (mine)

Seasoning:

SBYellow x Yellow Brainstrain (Meatfreak/Stefan)
Hawaiian Sweet Hot (Old Barn/Buckeye)—annuum  
Aji Limon (my seed)
Brown Egg (Jason/GA Growhead)
Georgia Black (Jason/GA Growhead)
Peruvian Serlano (Jamie/Romy6)—hope these become sweet and fruity like pods Jamie sent
Tobago Seasoning (Judy/pepperlover)
Trinidad Perfume (mine)
Trinidad Scorpion Sweets (Jason/GA Growhead)
West Indies Hab (Pia Sanarda)
Yellow Bouquet (Kevin,/Wayright 2012, 2013 my seed)
Yellow CARDI (mine from seed)
Goat’s Weed (Shane/ Judy)

The Southwestern/Tex Mex:

Pasilla Bajilo (mild, sample seed and mine)
Poblano (mild, sample seed and mine)

Annuums and Standbys:

Big Jim Numex (sample seed and some other company)
Biker Billy (Old Barn Nursery/Buckeye Pepper)
Joe’s Cayenne (Buckeye)
Cayenne (mine)
Cracked Jal/Jalapa (mine)
Giant Jalapeño (mine)
Jal M—(mine)
Purple Jalapeño (Old Barn/Buckeye)
Jalapeños from Stefan/Meatfreak--will update when seeded
Jalapenos from Stefan/Meatfreak--will updated when seeded
Padron
Gochu (meatfreak/Stefan)
Serrano Tampequino (mine)
Sweet Pickle (meatfreak/Stefan)
Yellow cayenne (OBNursery/Buckeye)
Fish (sample seed)
Aleppo (Buckeye)
Urfa Biber (meatfreak/Stefan and Old Barn/BEye pepper)

Not planted annuums yet aside from Goat's Weed, Hawaiian Sweet Hot.

5 peppers got an entire 6 pack; otherwise divided into 3 (half 6-p: yes; 6/2 = 3 [hotdamn am tired]) and will prick out. Entire 6: 1. BOC (Jason/GA Growhead) 2. MoA (but another half-6 of that from Walkgood/Ramon and Steve); 3. Tabasco (mine) 4. Bahamian Goat (Greg PIC1), and 5. JA Hab (Ramon/Walkgood)

Many thanks to Mike Rote/Barley_Pop for jerky :dance:  :drooling:  and Jason/GA Growhead, for sending me my own Orange Thai seed and the hottest damn powder I've ever had! :onfire: Also, thank you, John, Ark/Saw for the Harbor Freight coupons for "torch to burn honeysuckle roots." And everybody who has, via PM or otherwise, encouraged, offered ideas on new, additional growing space: fence is gone and if no rain, fell, limb, buck and split with two splitters 8 big trees, Maple, 4 Hickories, Pecan, Black Walnut, Poplar NEXT WEEKEND! :party:

Also, would like ideas on that new (additional) space (100'+ x 50')  with stumps, most are to side except Maple. 1. burn 2. grind (cost prohibitive and don't think rented grinder would get it but might if ya'll have any ideas) 3. Work around them this year . . . raised beds, ugh, the work or level with huge dump truck topsoil. And again, work around what's left of stumps. Rip it in Feb. REALLY rich humus in half that on the "lots of trees" side: 25' x 100'+. Also, high side. Have considered dozer/bucket end of my and cousin's tractor just to help level and "share the wealth" of humus.

Hope everybody has kick-butt 2014 GROW! :fireball:

Edited 1-21-2014

RocketMan said:
Man Annie, you been one busy lady up there. Gardens looking good though Onions in and Supers blooming, nice.

Is it quitting time yet?

Hell yes, my man, Bill! Funny; I was sitting outside (the brief, quieted mind sit I got, since also finishing evaling essays); had Fatalii Apple Butter and iced tea beside me. Just sittin' outside, singin' few bars "Go Down, Moses," mopping by adding Fatapple Butter in with rest of mop stuff. Had straw for tea--if I don't lid stuff outside will spill--but didn't (evidently) put the jar lid back on that sauce/baste, stuck my straw back down in it and on third big sip realized was not tea: was drinking Fatapple butter. Well, the tea had gotten warm and I started this stuff at 6 am on 2 hrs. sleep. Thus, when filled up tea, put a tablespoon FAButter in it and it's very good! Invented new drink! (Not to serve to kids nor nuthin' given that while sweet and deep, stuff's also on warm side.) Yeah: done for day. :rofl:

Plants looking really nice Annie!

Just beautiful specimens!

And the pork! Yum!

LOL on the straw trick! That apple butter is just killer!

Jerky? I make a killer jerky, IMHO, I use a store bought brine and spice it up. Interested?

Congrats Annie with your folks anniversy !!!  Pepper and Pork lookin' gooooooddddd !!!  I wasn't hungry until the pics of the pork....you and Jamie having a competition ????  Anyway congrats and have a good chow down.

Devv said:
Plants looking really nice Annie!

Just beautiful specimens!

And the pork! Yum!

LOL on the straw trick! That apple butter is just killer!

Jerky? I make a killer jerky, IMHO, I use a store bought brine and spice it up. Interested?

Thank you, Scotty! Plants seemed to like that "cooked" and scaled down version of "supersoil." Yeah, drinking Fatalii Applebutter? but then again, new drink. Gonna experiment with some tea and jal/lime/cilantro jelly tomorrow ;) . Uh, you make jerky?? :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: Oh, honey, I could live off home-made hot jerky. I'll pay shipping, my dear man! :dance:

stickman said:
Wow! Nice bark on those butts! :drooling:    The plants don't look too bad either... :P Have a good time with the family miz Annie!

Thanks, Rick! It just happened that way. :liar: Actually, I put a heck of a lot of work into tough cuts of meat. Couple days worth. Those were 9 lbs. each and on cuts that big, I leave the fat cap on, sorta. On smaller ones (for myself and friends), I remove it all to get great bark, tie it up, and never get the grill/smoker over 200F. But cooking for "butt" (hahaha) load people, I know older folks won't appreciate bark. I kinda prefer jerk pork kabobs but, they wanted it pulled, so it is. But didn't remove all bark--older folks can eat around it, damnit, lol. Plants almost scaring me with how fast they grew in "scaled back" supersoil; won't be buying any more FFOF because with a wetting agent, it can be made far less expensively and scaled so it doesn't burn babies. Thanks for the well-wishes with gonzo big fam. :shocked: I always need "blue beams" around the fam!

You're talkin' my language JJJ... during the grilling season I'm a kebab fiend! I even went so far as picking up 2 kinds of Iranian skewers... the Koobideh skewers for ground meat kebabs (especially Lamb) and the narrower Barg skewers for chunks of meat. Both are flat stainless steel with riveted rosewood handles and the perfect length to span my barrel grill/smoker. My favorite is Jujeh Kebab... chunks of chicken marinated in yogurt, grated onion, olive oil, saffron and lemon. While grilling, I also baste with melted butter that has additional lemon juice and saffron. Amazing stuff, and I find that it's much more affordable if I use Indian saffron instead of European.

http://turmericsaffron.blogspot.com/2010/09/joojeh-kabab-persian-grilled-saffron.html

I love you glog, pretty awesome. I am glad everything is turning out so well. I also love the fact that you all are into smoking. I love smoking meat. I have been told I make a great smoked tri tip. I use a Jamison and Guiness Dark draught marinade. I also use my homemade hot sauce in the marinade. I let it soak for about 3 days before smoking. Goodness, now I want to smoke some tri tip. Anyways, I look forward to keeping up with your glog.

Dang...went from famine to feast on here! Wait a couple months looking for you then when we finally found you none of us can keep up! Haha...love it lady! Don't pull something splitting all that wood!

JJJessee said:
Ummmm, jerk pork kabobs, that's a good mid-summer cook-out
little black cherry maters, jalapeno and pineapple chunks, cipollinis, and da meat. :P    

Yeah buddy cipollinis, with gulf shrimp marinated in jerk with bonnet pieces on other skewers . . . "Might I see the menu?" I posted a response to that pork and quiche and it didn't post. Good looking stuff, man! LARD! I totally swiped that photo! ("Totally?" Been around "kids" far too much.)

stickman said:
You're talkin' my language JJJ... during the grilling season I'm a kebab fiend! I even went so far as picking up 2 kinds of Iranian skewers... the Koobideh skewers for ground meat kebabs (especially Lamb) and the narrower Barg skewers for chunks of meat. Both are flat stainless steel with riveted rosewood handles and the perfect length to span my barrel grill/smoker. My favorite is Jujeh Kebab... chunks of chicken marinated in yogurt, grated onion, olive oil, saffron and lemon. While grilling, I also baste with melted butter that has additional lemon juice and saffron. Amazing stuff, and I find that it's much more affordable if I use Indian saffron instead of European.

http://turmericsaffron.blogspot.com/2010/09/joojeh-kabab-persian-grilled-saffron.html

:drooling: :drooling: Rosewood handles . . . I feel so inadequate with my stainless handles now! Actually, I'm freakin' hungry first thing in morning, Rick! DAYum!  :party:  :drooling:

JJJessee said:
Yogurt-marinated chicken on the grill.....
now I'm really hungry

Rick got me there too. My next fav chicken marinade to jerk is Cornell with less the vinegar: tastes like sour cream. Dang. With dill. I need to shut up now.

99Zhotsauce said:
I love you glog, pretty awesome. I am glad everything is turning out so well. I also love the fact that you all are into smoking. I love smoking meat. I have been told I make a great smoked tri tip. I use a Jamison and Guiness Dark draught marinade. I also use my homemade hot sauce in the marinade. I let it soak for about 3 days before smoking. Goodness, now I want to smoke some tri tip. Anyways, I look forward to keeping up with your glog.

Tri-tip, Josh? Wow, an accomplishment! While I eat this cereal? It just ain't right! It just ain't fair! MOM-MMMMMY! ;)

stc3248 said:
Dang...went from famine to feast on here! Wait a couple months looking for you then when we finally found you none of us can keep up! Haha...love it lady! Don't pull something splitting all that wood!

Shane, m'love! Well, sophomores and juniors drive ya nuts and other stuffs . . . honey, only thing I pulled yesterday was lb after lb of pork. Now, on the wood, oh dude got that Fiskars X27 yesterday. I actually dragged myself out to split a whack. You want one if you do any splitting of any wood. Takes bark off well too. (Just checking for Maple, Pecan, Oak chunks for smoking.) We want no pulls, pinches, twists, whiplashes, over-strikes--you missed me pulling myself through an Oak log was bucking with chainsaw, rakers too low/shot chain on old 20" Stihl. Great fun, that ER for my neck/back. I done 'at just for you (and I wrote in here that the first person I thought of, lying there, was you. Laughing). No more dat, please! ;)

I'm digging the pork in the kettle....nice bark ! Fatalii butt...er...wow
The scoring of the fat with the oh so good charness looks wonderful. If it wasn't going to rain all day here Sunday I might be making me one.

Nice choices of smoking woods available to you.....I have to hit a wood yard that distributes to the resturants  in order to get something different

Beautiful green plants....lush and dense.

Just ate and hungry again!

The jerky I like to make is shown here:

http://www.dziuks.com/shop/chunk-beef-jerky

http://www.dziuks.com/shop/turkey-jerky

This place is well known around here and a gold mine for the owner, always a line to wait through to purchase anything. I use his seasoning and kick them up a notch. I talked to the owner for a while and told him I was having trouble duplicating his product. I was really surprised when he said we don't dry the jerky, we cook it. He went on to explain they slow cook it with smoke and slowly bring the meat up to 148°. I start with making a brine out of the seasoning, it has cure in it so it's safe to slowly smoke and bring up to cook temps. I let the meat marinade in the brine overnight. It takes about 6-8 hours to slow cook the meat. Once finished the jerky is tender but the flavor is simply wonderful. I'm not much of a fan of the dried jerky, well maybe in small amounts, it's always tasty, but too chewy for me.

This stuff is to die for :D

stickman said:
Spring is here, and our thoughts are turning to BBQ...heh, heh... :twisted:

Shashlik
SANY1102_zps2be412f8.jpg

Jujeh Kebab
SANY1046_zps1bfb6757.jpg

Koobideh Kebab
SANY1185_zpsf72bbf33.jpg

TGIF!

DAYum, Rick and every time I see your or Trip J's stuff, it's morning. Just put aside bowl of "healthy" cereal. :rofl: Those are just drool-ville, man!  :dance:

PIC 1 said:
I'm digging the pork in the kettle....nice bark ! Fatalii butt...er...wow
The scoring of the fat with the oh so good charness looks wonderful. If it wasn't going to rain all day here Sunday I might be making me one.

Nice choices of smoking woods available to you.....I have to hit a wood yard that distributes to the resturants  in order to get something different

Beautiful green plants....lush and dense.

Yeah buddy, Greg! Bourbon Fatalii Apple Butter. Next year gonna reduce bourbon and then add cup to reduction Fatapple B . . . basically making apple butter, I think, to get a touch more bourbon depth. It's present as is, however. Bill's recipe is on here . . . start here and keep reading . . . I did one with Apple Butter since I had it canned here   last one on list, rest are debatable now, or need fixing via fermentation, but did another Bill's way with whacked apples, last year. I like the fresh better: more work.  :rofl:  Also, friend owns apple orchard so I get some nice "Fujiyama Mama" before they're officially allowed to be picked by public.

Yeah, we gots wood. (Vast majority of it in backyard now :rolleyes: .) If you want to debark it--or let it almost debark itself--I can send you some to dry in SRFB. I have Hickory, some Apple--soon as I feel like whacking on that tree again--but Apple dries fast: recently cut is Maple, Oak, and Pecan.

Devv said:
Just ate and hungry again!

The jerky I like to make is shown here:

http://www.dziuks.com/shop/chunk-beef-jerky

http://www.dziuks.com/shop/turkey-jerky

This place is well known around here and a gold mine for the owner, always a line to wait through to purchase anything. I use his seasoning and kick them up a notch. I talked to the owner for a while and told him I was having trouble duplicating his product. I was really surprised when he said we don't dry the jerky, we cook it. He went on to explain they slow cook it with smoke and slowly bring the meat up to 148°. I start with making a brine out of the seasoning, it has cure in it so it's safe to slowly smoke and bring up to cook temps. I let the meat marinade in the brine overnight. It takes about 6-8 hours to slow cook the meat. Once finished the jerky is tender but the flavor is simply wonderful. I'm not much of a fan of the dried jerky, well maybe in small amounts, it's always tasty, but too chewy for me.

This stuff is to die for :D

Dziuk's! Went by there with friend coming back from Padre for long weekend. Smoked hot sausage, and gone before New Braunfels. (I forget: the internet: they'd have a website, :doh:) Mmm, went all over website! Man. :drooling: So, since it has a cure in the meat . . . yeah: 148-150'd be fine after cure. I don't mind some dried jerky as "chaw." Good for felling trees, bucking up. And price is great but I want to try yours. (Bet it'll be hotter!)

And whoever said "stacking," wish I was there! They've not been back with splitter. Dang, hand splitting not working well. Has dried too much. Cut too long (or the pork butts wore me out)--did that yesterday afternoon, sawed on ends of rounds, saving "leftovers" to whack up for meat smoking. Split some Maple but even that was a bear at 20 inches. Guys doing wishful thinking: I said 18"; I cut to 18" and yet some of those rounds were/are 26"? We ain't going for Queen Elizabeth's 12 days of Christmas yule logs in royal freakin castle. I paid 'em and gonna let them finish cutting the dang things to no more than 20." And maybe even . . . split?  Thanks for looking, commenting. Gotta run off to get some stuff ready for Daddy and Mama's 60th party! Semester almost OVER so can catch up on glogs :party:

A trick I learned on apples last year -take a thin pliable poly rope and tie one end to the snap ring on a lynch pin. It's about the right weight for slingin' and don't get caught too bad when you fling it about 3/4 ways out on a good loaded apple branch. Let the lynch pin drop so you have both ends of the rope and SHAKESHAKESHAKE.
If they just so happen to fall on a big tarp over deep, soft grass so much the better 

JJJessee said:
A trick I learned on apples last year -take a thin pliable poly rope and tie one end to the snap ring on a lynch pin. It's about the right weight for slingin' and don't get caught too bad when you fling it about 3/4 ways out on a good loaded apple branch. Let the lynch pin drop so you have both ends of the rope and SHAKESHAKESHAKE.
If they just so happen to fall on a big tarp over deep, soft grass so much the better 

Dang, TripJ, wonder if my h.s. buddy who owns huge apple orchard--he does let me pick Fuji before the public can--they're ready when Red/Golden Delicious, etc are, but Fuji is a big seller (and come to think of it, I steal his Winesap before they're open to public; need to tell him that?), would enjoy me making some of these "Shake Shake Shakes" and selling them to his customers . . . but I want to keep my discount and friend (in whichever order). But since he lets me pick the Fuji a few weeks early, coincides with Bourbon Fatalii Apple Butter.

On another amazing note: THE CAVALRY COMING TOMORROW TO SPLIT THIS WOOD! So, I need to get out there, let the ice dry off the wood that's bucked too long, whack it up (save some ends to axe for meat smoking wood) and get a staging area ready. I tried the maul, Fiskers x27, sledge and wedge and succeeded in busting my hands up last weekend, but got some Walnut and Oak split. Dang, drier, that stuff's a beotch bear, t-total bitch.

Puzzle me this TripJ and others: at the moment I got grass out there in new garden area. Yes; would like to have done this much sooner but one of my guys, old friends, had work at logging co. on Sats. and took it--can't blame him. I can bring grass/new garden area down with mower/weed whacker. Won't double dig that much space. So, to get cousin to come rip it Monday, let me "shake shake shake" the dirt--killer soil--off grass, grass to compost via wheelbarrow, test soil, lime if necessary--but good dirt--been picking up stray brush, slightly buried, from brush the guys left when they hauled off, and nightcrawler under every twig. Doesn't matter how dry, crawlers everywhere. So, if he rips it Monday--talking 50 x 50 foot space at this time--more after get the gonzo Maple out of way--I get grass up best I can; he comes rips it Wednesday/Thursday since I need to get some composted horse manure in. That's first way. I know that's too fast; all methods are at this point. But with lots wet cardboard . . . of course do have that flame thrower that Arksaw/John sent me discount coupon at HFreight . . . have thought about just torching the grass (been torching honeysuckle and crap on bank to keep it looking dead) but . . . messing up garden soil's different. Second way: huge pile "trash" wood--none Walnut--I could burn in separate piles, throw some dirt on it after going good, let smolder little while, then whack up biochar with shovel. Of course, if doing this, I'd do it early Sunday and make sure fires were out by Monday/Tuesday. (Hydraulics on tractors and all.)

Had to work with who and what I had. I could have rented splitter . . . yeah. Been as if not more cost effective. But the biochar idea was the guy's who called me yesterday, said old-timers did it. I gotta get out there but any ideas . . .  gonna do nice number on it this fall but for now, got to get this space ready  :shocked: . Thanks!

I'd go with the flame-thrower.
Especially if it's an area where fire wouldn't get outta hand.
I've got an organic farmer buddy that uses one religiously.

It's not the "greenest" way maybe, but to get ahead of it I think it's worth it. Then I'd start mulching like a madman.
Good luck on the wood.

Back