• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

baking Any Bread Makers ?

DOes anyone really rely on the "Windowpane" test here?  I've had mixed success with it and I almost think it's somewhat overrated.

samcanadian said:
DOes anyone really rely on the "Windowpane" test here?  I've had mixed success with it and I almost think it's somewhat overrated.
I'm sure its a great test but I've never used it.

SavinaRed said:
It seems too elite.  Like, i understand gluten development is proper for bread but holy smokes, my bread dough sure doesn't look like this 

20100923%20windowpane%203.JPG

I LOVE BREAD MAKING! I have toyed with the idea of starting a starter but.. Haven't got around to it because I got hooked on peppers and tomatoes. Haha.

samcanadian said:

I've only used it a few times when making pizza dough. I think depending on the type of dough you are making it would be a good idea to use the test, but at the same time once you have experience under your belt, I don't think its necessary.
SavinaRed those are some beautiful loaves ;-)

Now I need to go get a starter going lol.

SavinaRed said:
Absolutely, I use it when making cinnamon buns. It is an excellent way to determine if the gluten has fully bonded.
Anyone ever use Pain à l'Ancienne?
I use this method of fermentation to make killer baguettes.

Cheers all! There are some great-looking loaves here! We bake our own bread here during the cool months, and the oven stone and KitchenAid mixer with dough hook are indispensible! Our favorite everyday loaf is whole wheat with honey and buttermilk. The buttermilk softens the gluten and makes for a very tender crumb and toasts great!

samcanadian said:
It seems too elite.  Like, i understand gluten development is proper for bread but holy smokes, my bread dough sure doesn't look like this 

20100923%20windowpane%203.JPG

I am making my own bread (by hand) for a decade now and maybe can make something like that but just with entirely white flour ... like type 400 or 500 (mainly using that for pizzas), what you've call pastry or all-purpose flour (judging by hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flour)
my bread making mostly oriented on types 850 to 1600... because I love the smell of more blacker (or wholewheat) breads and loaves... in general I don't want to complicate things

Pepperjack91 said:
Homemade bread is a beautiful thing

indeed it is ;)
the smell and the first bite of fresh bread when it colds off enough ... it's priceless

so yeah .. had to participate with today's baking....
this is my classic bread making .. as simple and fast as it gets

mainly type 1600 flour with some addition of type 800... yeast with water, some salt and olive oil
bread01.jpg

and yes, beer is not an ingredient :)

i mix everything up... slowly .. and drink some of that beer
bread02.jpg

continue by hand when it gets hard to mix with that spoon
bread03.jpg

when it gets to the way I want it to.... I cover it and let it sit for nearly an hour
bread04.jpg

after 45mins to 1 hour ... it's ready to split it in half to make two large breads
bread05.jpg

bread06.jpg

put them on trays with baking paper .. and let them sit for ...  say ....  15 minutes .. then turn the oven on
bread07.jpg

before baking for almost an hour
bread08.jpg

and after baking
bread09.jpg

this is not as good looking as some of your loaves .. but tasty anyway
yup .. gonna have a midnight snack now ... :dance:

I am a freaking bread junkie, one of my favorite things.. But haven't tried to make any in a long time. Well, only ever tried pizza dough and it never came out great, still better than fastfood/frozen but never as good as I hoped. Also my back would start hurting while kneeding... Think I will try again soon though, not just pizza but everything, your guys pics are just drool inducing...

I would marry garlic bread if it was socially acceptable.

Love bread making.  The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart might be my favorite cook book right now.

Slizarus said:
Beautiful loaves, I made bread pretty regularly but all my sourdough cultures are dormant atm, I've just been using yeast risers but the sourdough taste can't be beat.

You made me very interested in trying it in a dutch oven. How do you get those raised squares in your crust? Cutting it and it gets steamed?
I just put the marks in the loaf before baking it and misted it once about 20 minutes after it was covered in the oven. After 30 minutes took of the cover of my D.O. and then basted it twice with olive oil for the last 15-20 minutes. That loaf was baked in an old Wagner Drip Drop Baster #9. Some guy was selling it on craigslist for $20.00. I jumped all over it lol.

Wow SavinaRed that looks amazing!! old Wagner Drip Drop Baster #9. Some guy was selling it on craigslist for $20.00. I jumped all over it lol. How about a pic of this new to baking bread :)
Thanks

Back