• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Any good Deer recipes???

Last Saturday morning I shot a button buck. Probably the best shot I ever took with my 16 gauge shotgun....120 yards heart/lung shot. One shot and he was down. Just lil nubs for antlers but I got almost 50 pounds of meat out of him. I just finished processing the last bit tonight. I got around 15 pounds of ground, a few real good size roasts, a few steaks, a real nice tender loin, some tender loin medallions, around 10 pounds of loose sausage and 10 pounds of sausage links. Need some good recipes for the roasts and ground meat.

Gonna be going hunting again here next weekend (Dec. 15th) goin after the big buck this time though!

for the lions, & this is my opinion since their my tastebuds :lol: the best way to cook lions/backstraps is sauteed in butter with fresh garlic & onions :drooling: dont overcook it.

roasts, well I'm not a fan of roasts so I dont cook them. everything is cutup into steak or burger.
I take my scraps to a butcher to be made into burger, well its made into breakfast sausage but I use it as normal burger for chilli or spaghetti & yes even for breakfast, the spices they use are really good.

use the venison just like beef.

Ya I made a bunch of breakfast sausage and Italian sausage and got lots of ground...trust me my arm is still sore!!I have the old crank style grinder next year I will invest in an eletric one!!

made a bunch of Brats and sausage here is a good soup my family really enjoys This makes 8 servings

Venison Italian Soup
INGREDIENTS
1 pound ground venison
1 onion, chopped
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
3 cups water
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
1 (15 ounce) can green beans
1 carrot, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1/2 (16 ounce) package fusili (spiral) pasta

DIRECTIONS
Brown venison, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, and spices. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 30 minutes.
Stir in beans, carrots, and zucchini. Simmer soup for 90 minutes.
Add pasta, and cook until tender. Top individual servings with grated cheese, and serve.

I like to cook the pasta seperate and put how much I want in the bowl and pour the soup on top. One of those OCD things

I made some great venison jerky on the smoker and I'm still waiting for my casings to make venison sausages.

POTAWIE -- You ordered the casings? Natural or Synthetic? Some grocery stores carry the natural ones. Our bigger chain carries them around here and they are not very expensive ~ 2.50US for 50ft ...... Do you have a recipe or did you buy the seasonings?

I ordered a bunch of things from LEM about a month ago and still haven't recieved anything? I think I ordered a few or their sausage kits and some jerky seasoning.

I sort of made my own jerky recipe, can't remember exactly but it was marinated in a lot of soy and terriyaki sauce with smoked garlic powder and smoked jalapeno+ powder. I smoked the jerky for about 4 hours with cherry and maple wood then another 4 hours or so in the dehydrator. I know some people do the dehydrator first then smoke to finish but I've found it less messy with the smoker's drip pan collecting juices vs. the dehyrator. For my first attempt, I think it turned out amazing. I used a similar recipe for goose jerky that was great too.

I was reading somewhere about doing smoked venison hams. Anybody heard of this or tried it?

Wow! Hams? I think hams are brined but I am not sure.

My tried and true jerky recipe is pretty simple:

1 part garlic powder, 1 part onion powder, 1 part Smoked RED jalapeno powder(had to 1 up you lol),1 part black pepper, about 15 parts soy sauce. The key is to then crack coarse black pepper over the wet jerky in the dehydrator or smoker. Those last bits of crunchy pepper goodness make all the difference.

fisting_mayfield said:
I almost hit a deer on the road before...
Dosent sound special until you think about what a deer was doing crossing the road in AUSTRALIA.

You mean some mouth breather has never turned a bunch of deer loose in Australia so he could pretend it was just like home?

dyce - I used the crank style gringer last year & I got about a baseball size done & said F this & bagged the rest & let the butcher deal with it :lol:

I got skunked for this year with deer :( 1st time too.
time to move on, but picked up a roadkill deer for predators which I hope my luck is better with them.

potawie - you should know you can smoke any meat. including deer hams. I cooked up a deboned venison leg/ham last thanksgiving, turned out great. but wasnt smoked. if you smoke a ham/leg I'd say make sure its a low temp since its a big chunk of meat.

sickmont - yea yea its a typo, simple mistake since the keys are right next to each other & then beer doesnt help out either :lol:

here's some of My favorites, Sorry folks, 6 a.m. so excuse me for not attempting to convert to metrics..I'd surely muck it up:lol:
VENISON SWISS STEAK

1 lb. venison steaks
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
Butter
2 c. tomato juice
1 tbsp. steak sauce
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. ground hot pepper (add more to suit taste)
1 green pepper, sliced
1 can mushrooms

Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with foil. Butter bottom and sides of pan. Place venison steaks in pan and sprinkle with dry soup mix, green pepper slices, and mushrooms. Mix juice, steak sauce, cornstarch, and pour over steaks. Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour or until fork tender.

Heres a recipe even folks who don't like game will eat, and never know till you tell them that it's venison!

VENISON ROUND STEAK

1 venison round steak
1 can of Coca Cola
1 c. flour
1 c. peanut oil
Lemon pepper (To Taste)
garlic powder " "
hot pepper flakes " "

Soak venison steak in Coca Cola for 2 to 4 hours or overnight in refrigerator. Drain, sprinkle with lemon pepper, garlic powder and pepper flakes and dredge meat in flour. Cook in hot oil until done.
This is very good left to marinade overnight, then grilled
is quite tender

One for a Family dinner:

VENISON STEAK CASSEROLE

2 lbs. round venison steak (1 inch thick)
6 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. hot pepper (optional)
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 tbsp. shortening
6 med. potatoes, sliced
2 med. onions, sliced
2 carrots, sliced or strips
1 green pepper (optional)
3 c. beef bouillon

Cut steak into serving pieces. Pound in mixture of 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, oregano and garlic into venison. Brown in shortening, place in one layer on bottom of 3 quart oval baking dish.

Layer half of potatoes, onions, carrots and pepper on top; sprinkle with half remaining salt, pepper and flour. Repeat. Pour bouillon over top. Bake, covered, in moderate oven (350 degrees) 1 hour; uncovered 1/2 hour. Serves 6.

I just got my casings and seasonings and "The venison sausage cookbook a complete guide, from field to table" which looks like a great book so far. I can't wait to get started

Back