• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Any growers in KS?

I got this one tulip in a pot and for about five years has always kept me on mother nature's schedule. The Easter Lillie's I have couldn't keep time if they had a alarm clock. They are always late.

Took a turn for the worst on the pepper babies from Jan and Feb. Looks like some form of shock_ dropped leaves. Worst yet tonight's their first night out. Tomatoes still looking strong. Guess I'm starting more peppers for the year(might have to buy a couple of already started peppers too). Guess it's good to have back up plans in place.

Friday night I went through and consolidated my little guys. I removed the plug of soil in the inserts that had a seedling in it and moved them to the other inserts which had more starts in them. In essence I moved my seedlings (plant and soil) around  to have all full 6-pk inserts in my trays. Any very small or yellowed starts were pulled. Now they are good to grow and I have a solid number of seedlings which helps my planning. 107 seedlings. Now I can get my sweet peppers and tomatoes in soil on my heat mats. The biggest surprise? My 3 year old Jays peach seeds having close to 100% germination. Worst disappointment? Yellow primos bought this year . 20%

Last weekend for cold weather here I hope. Last three days I direct seeded herbs and flowers and potted coral reef peppers and sweet olive tomatoes. Now for the potted plant shuffle inside to outside every day.lol The next few nights it's could get to 32 degrees.

So I received my report back from K-State on y soil sample. My ph  is high @ 7.7, my nitrogen is low 10 ppm, Phosphorus is high 144 ppm, and my Potassium is high 455 ppm. I never amend or add any fertilizer to my garden. I wonder if my hard well water can raise the P & K and push the ph up. My organic mater (LOI) is high at 6.6%. It says to use sulfur (to lower ph?) at the rate of 3 lbs per 100 sq ft. Pelleted vs using dust as it's easier to work with. Also use a 12-0-0 or  16- or 46- nitrogen rich fertilizer. Or 30-3-3, or 25-4-4. This explains why my vegetative growth is slower than I'd expect. I'll amend per their rec and re test in fall. The manure I put on may help some. I hear it's not real rich so I wouldn't expect a big bump.

GhostPepperz said:
Next week I am planting my outside plants.

Did they survive the cold the past few nights?  :think:  We had 3 consecutive nights sub freezing + frost + snow flurries this weekend...

robbyjoe01 said:
Love this weather. Just got a much needed rain yesterday. Today I'll have the final garden done and ready to go. Been hardening off babies from Jan and Feb. Theyll be put out on the 25th of this month. Got a few March babies that should be ready and hardened off for early April. What a warm winter and early spring( got me moving a month ahead).

You guys are sure going for it early this year! The forecast this morning was saying 80 degrees for Wednesday here but then a slight chance of snow on Thursday and Monday,   :shocked:

WichitaChief said:
I'm afraid you are probably right. I'm afraid I'll be terribly late this year as it's shaping up. Go figure. I usually like to watch the soil temp and once it consistently stays 55 deg or better I feel ok setting out. I'm sure this year will be super early.

Have you started temping it yet? If so, where are you at? I figured I would start tracking daily soil temps sometime this week, though I have a week or two before they will even see some evening sun in their buckets.  :cool:

WichitaChief said:
So I received my report back from K-State on y soil sample. My ph  is high @ 7.7, my nitrogen is low 10 ppm, Phosphorus is high 144 ppm, and my Potassium is high 455 ppm. I never amend or add any fertilizer to my garden. I wonder if my hard well water can raise the P & K and push the ph up. My organic mater (LOI) is high at 6.6%. It says to use sulfur (to lower ph?) at the rate of 3 lbs per 100 sq ft. Pelleted vs using dust as it's easier to work with. Also use a 12-0-0 or  16- or 46- nitrogen rich fertilizer. Or 30-3-3, or 25-4-4. This explains why my vegetative growth is slower than I'd expect. I'll amend per their rec and re test in fall. The manure I put on may help some. I hear it's not real rich so I wouldn't expect a big bump.

Interesting, I may have to do this!  Could become quite expensive though if I had each bed tested.  Each one was added as I went so they are all different ages and slightly different makeup of initial soil... :think:

With those warm temps a couple weeks ago these babies outgrew their cups pretty fast.  Morning after being transplanted from the cups to their final pot-up, 1 gallon containers.  Slight droop but overall they are taking it well  :cheers:
peppers321.jpg

robbyjoe01 said:
Took a turn for the worst on the pepper babies from Jan and Feb. Looks like some form of shock_ dropped leaves. Worst yet tonight's their first night out. Tomatoes still looking strong. Guess I'm starting more peppers for the year(might have to buy a couple of already started peppers too). Guess it's good to have back up plans in place.

Just saw this after I posted above... sorry to hear  :neutral:

WichitaChief said:
Friday night I went through and consolidated my little guys. I removed the plug of soil in the inserts that had a seedling in it and moved them to the other inserts which had more starts in them. In essence I moved my seedlings (plant and soil) around  to have all full 6-pk inserts in my trays. Any very small or yellowed starts were pulled. Now they are good to grow and I have a solid number of seedlings which helps my planning. 107 seedlings. Now I can get my sweet peppers and tomatoes in soil on my heat mats. The biggest surprise? My 3 year old Jays peach seeds having close to 100% germination. Worst disappointment? Yellow primos bought this year . 20%

:dance: 107  :party:   

WichitaChief said:

Who do you talk to at KSTATE to check your soil? Does it cost much?

Sorry for the lack of ability to paste quotes attributed to each poster. I'm inept at this. No. Mine don't go out till April 15th at the earliest. No tempting for me. I've been bit by snow in May before. So I wait till at least tax day. My sweets are popping up. I planted WAY too many sweets. Again. Probably a  hundred or so. I have friends I give them to who sure enjoy them. My superhots  are 2-3 weeks behind yours Spicy. Very nice looking plants!! Ghost I took my sample to my local county extension office and they ship it off. I bet you have a similar service at your local county extension office.

At least you've figured out how to get your pics here. I'm still at a lost on that. Despite a few losses with the early babies I still got the germination tank cranking out more. The latest purple Bell peppers yesterday.

Well what a blur March to April was. My plants are growing on autopilot now. The supers are big and stocky. The sweets are getting there. I had some seeds which would not germinate or did so in low numbers. But everyone is looking good!! being too busy for my own good is evident by me typing this at 1:00 A.M. on a work night.Heavy eyelids...........better go.........                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Got much needed rain(inch.4). Started eating the lettuce and green onions already. Love to graze the garden. The Egyptian walking onions are already huge and sproting bulbs on top. Wish spring rains would last all summer. Everything shoots up like rockets.

WichitaChief said:
Well what a blur March to April was.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Ain't that the truth.  :shocked:  Damn work always getting in the way of my hobbies...  :banghead:

robbyjoe01 said:
Got much needed rain...  ...Wish spring rains would last all summer. Everything shoots up like rockets.

Started raining here last night as well, only had about .6 inches in the rain gauge this morning but hopefully we end up closer to an inch total today.  This gentle and steady rain is making for some happy peppers however.  Mine have been outside (still in containers) both night and day since last Tuesday and are transitioning pretty well.  Some slight sunburn on a few and some whipped leaves from the damn high winds over the past few weeks but overall looking pretty healthy.

Last week after their first night outside...

pepapr.JPG

Garlic is pretty happy too...

garapr2.JPG

robbyjoe01 said:
Your garlic looks killer. R those this year or overwintered? Must say they look better than my overwintered.

Thanks :)  This years peppers, Mid-Feb sow.  Garlic was planted early October. 

Lots of damage last night

Sinkhole near the walkway to my house

Flooded flower beds

Broken down and wilted lettuce

Totally flooded lettuce(the one in the middle somehow kept it's cover on)

Pepper and flats destroyed by hail and water

Washed away

Didn't get these two black from Tula tomatoes

Didn't get the Bhuts in the germination tank(definitely gona overwinter)

Did get my bed

The cat still alive-owl still guarding

Dancing monkey and my sense of humour still intact

robbyjoe01 said:
Lots of damage last night

:(  Man I'm sorry robbyjoe! Hate to see that  :cry:  Wish I had extra plants this year to pass along to you but of course this is the year I only setup one bay for seedlings.  :doh:   

We were lucky up here and missed the really bad stuff by about 15 miles or so. I planted out to the beds this past weekend so I was sweating bullets all through those storms but luckily the hail here only got to pea size and not larger like much of the area got.  

WichitaChief said:
My plants are growing on autopilot now.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

How'd you fare? Saw some big storms headed your way that day too :think:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Thanks Tom. Already switching gears and clearing out the dead and starting over. Got some not for sale miracle gro combinations wasn't planning on using but now what the hell and now there is ten pounds of spring lettuce by the brush pile for the baby rabbits and the two mom rabbits to eat(life is a circle). Took time out to fix the old grapevine peace sign too.

Oh joy a whole day of rain today. Not only can I not fix the roof but it's useless to work the ground. At least it was a steady rain and not a flood. The flowerbed in the above post of mine is trying to make a comeback. Makes me think I should be planting more Greek poppy just because hail and flood couldn't kill it.

Well we dodges the hail and got a good soaking also. I got all my plants in on the Saturday before the rain started the next day or so. It's been non stop this or that here. I did get Photobucket working so I might have to get some pictures taken. I haven't had time to tally up all of my planting. I'm still trying to sell/trade off the last of my supers. I might have to ship them to my friend out in Vegas again this year. He's coming down in a few weeks to go up to Topeka for the drags so I might make him do it while he's here! LOL!

Back