• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Any Ideas?

Any ideas what the name of this pepper is? I got this ONE yesterday. My barber gave it to me. He said that his Grandmother had brought the seeds from Italy, probably in the late 1800's or early 1900's. He said that she told the grandkids that they were poison to keep them away from it. He says they are very hot.

It looks very much like a cherry tomato but it is indeed a pepper. It is about 0.90" or 22mm in diameter. I am going to dry it and plant some seeds in the spring.

2j6aiy8.jpg

2rzuv0x.jpg

Thanks.

i have no idea what it is. but a very old strain of heirloom peppers like that is very cool to have and grow year after year, congradulations on your new peppers.

Come on dude that's a tomato... come on!!!!

Nope, not a tomato.
I cut it open last night to get the seeds to dry and ate the lil thang. Not hot at all, but absolutely the sweetest pepper I have ever eaten. I will plant the seeds in the spring and hopefully be able to share.

Stormin said:
Nope, not a tomato.
I cut it open last night to get the seeds to dry and ate the lil thang. Not hot at all, but absolutely the sweetest pepper I have ever eaten. I will plant the seeds in the spring and hopefully be able to share.

Can you post a picture of it cut open?

Here is a pic of the seeds.

I don't know if the peppers on this plant grow up or down. I will ask Lou next time I see him.

2hozp83.jpg

Italian sweet heirloom? Figaro maybe. But it looks like a tomato and it's suspicious you ate it and can't post a pic :lol:

thehotpepper.com said:
Italian sweet heirloom? Figaro maybe. But it looks like a tomato and it's suspicious you ate it and can't post a pic :lol:

The first two pics are the pepper. I never thought to take a picture of the inside. My concern was to get the seeds for drying and to see what it tasted like.

they're razzin' you Stormin'...

got to admit, it looks like a small tomato... ;)

I talked to my barber this morning about this pepper. He had told me that it was hot and how his Grandmother had told the kids that they were poison. They are not hot at all but very sweet. He started laughing and admitted that they are not hot at all. I am still going to plant some in the spring. They are very sweet and should be good in salads.

Stormin said:
They are very sweet and should be good in salads.

Haha I wish they were hot, you can just imagine all the people thinking they were cherry tomatoes to only find its a massive ball of fire in a tiny shell ;)

Back