• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone bringing in their plants from outdoors?

THANKS hogleg. If I trim the roots a lot(seriously! Hahaaha) but I also trim the plant a lot so it is balanced? Will it still work? Thanks for your attention. Has been my second year and still consider myself a noob hahahaha
Also, bug larvae is the same shit that can eat the inside of seeds while germinating them in soil? How does it affect the plant?

AldenMiller said:
Soon, I am still a few weeks away from bringing them in.

Chocolate Moruga, Yellow Ghost, Trinidad Scorpion, and Reapers are coming inside for the winter.  I picked up some LED lights too so I can hopefully extend their growing season a little once they are indoors.

-Alden
Please post your progress with LEDs.  I'm having too hard of a time producing pods with floruscents (please see - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/55843-does-anybody-get-a-lot-of-pods-with-leds/) I'm curious as to whether you can get new pods just from the lights, and if so, how many.

What kind of LEDs did you pick up?

D3monic said:
just make sure you rinse the rootballs clean as possible and use fresh dirt, if giving them a trim toss in bucket or rubbermade tub with soapy water and some hydrogen peroxide. Let soak for a few mins and give a good rinse before transplanting. Should help reduce any chance of infestations. 
Heh…. I only wish this was really true. I always clean the rootballs well and also trim them down significantly before repotting in fresh soil then bringing indoors. All it takes is one surviving aphid. For that matter, who knows if maybe they didn't get in another way. All I know is I've had to order ladybugs and release them inside the house every year I've overwintered. Every. Year. 

geeme said:
Heh…. I only wish this was really true. I always clean the rootballs well and also trim them down significantly before repotting in fresh soil then bringing indoors. All it takes is one surviving aphid. For that matter, who knows if maybe they didn't get in another way. All I know is I've had to order ladybugs and release them inside the house every year I've overwintered. Every. Year. 

true, this is why i'm not even going to bother. 

D3monic said:
I probably wont overwinter any plants this year. I'll keep the baha goats in the hydro for supply of peppers all winter and then I got the crossing project with seedlings starting now so they should be producing pods (hopefully) by the time my outdoor plants die of frost. That's being optimistic though as in this state winter could hit any time in the next month. 

Last years overwinter attempt ended in an aphid infestation that resulted in me tossing the plants out into the snow. 
lmao ! i can just picture those plants flying through the air and going head first in a big drift ! lol     :onfire:

dragon49 said:
Please post your progress with LEDs.  I'm having too hard of a time producing pods with floruscents (please see - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/55843-does-anybody-get-a-lot-of-pods-with-leds/) I'm curious as to whether you can get new pods just from the lights, and if so, how many.

I picked up three 300w marshydro lights off of ebay.  I was told they aren't their latest ones but I was happy with the deal I got.  They are brand new.  I picked up a timer and power strip to go with them.  I am hoping to just add four hours of light to the natural sunlight they will get from the attic windows.

-Alden

That aphid thing is really quite true.

I have not had aphids all year, because I kept the chillies near chives, basil and marigolds. Now that they are by themselves, indoors - I am finding those darn green bugs.

I keep the plants in a cool place so the aphids are not exactly multiplying at any great speed, but it is still disturbing to see them on my precious plants...

:fire:

I will be bringing a couple select plants (ghost pepper, peruvian white habanero) inside and putting them into my small indoor greenhouse. I have it lit with fluorescent t5 plant grow bulbs and LED blue/red grow lights. I started these plants indoors and in the greenhouse and moved them all outside at the beginning of summer. They had been setting pods indoors but I wanted to see how they'd do outdoors. I had a huge aphid battle but was able to eradicate them. I screened in my porch after and have not had a single bug anywhere on the deck at all, so I'm really hoping for no bugs, especially since I have Serrano and sus biberi peppers growing in the greenhouse. We will see! 

The others I am going to leave on my porch (scorpion hybrid, pequin, aji pineapple, bullet hab) and see if they can survive outside close to the building and with some protection. They're big bushes now and NC doesnt get too too cold so we will see.

dragon49 said:

I found this great, plants love it. Have two of them.
http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-FLCDG125D-Fluorowing-Compact-Fluorescent/dp/B001UV6P9I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442511451&sr=8-1&keywords=Hydrofarm+FLCDG125D+125-Watt+Compact+Fluorescent+Grow+Light+System

D3monic said:
just make sure you rinse the rootballs clean as possible and use fresh dirt, if giving them a trim toss in bucket or rubbermade tub with soapy water and some hydrogen peroxide. Let soak for a few mins and give a good rinse before transplanting. Should help reduce any chance of infestations. 
I overwintered a few plants last year and had some aphids but not too many.  I do want to prepare better just in case this year. How much peroxide to water do you use and i assume you mean some kind of soap like murphys or dawn, how much? 

parker49 said:
I overwintered a few plants last year and had some aphids but not too many.  I do want to prepare better just in case this year. How much peroxide to water do you use and i assume you mean some kind of soap like murphys or dawn, how much? 

maybe someone else can answer this. I'm not the measuring type. I just use a squirt of dawn and a bunch of peroxide... depends on the size of container you're using. If a rubbermade tub i'd probably just dump half or more of the bottle in with a squirt of dawn. I've only done it a few times. Mainly when buying aphid riddled plants from the nursery. 

Maybe do some googling before blindly following my advice per say. 

D3monic said:

maybe someone else can answer this. I'm not the measuring type. I just use a squirt of dawn and a bunch of peroxide... depends on the size of container you're using. If a rubbermade tub i'd probably just dump half or more of the bottle in with a squirt of dawn. I've only done it a few times. Mainly when buying aphid riddled plants from the nursery. 

Maybe do some googling before blindly following my advice per say. 
Ha, no worries i'll look it up when the time gets closer. It may not matter too much since you rinse it off anyway

Here in eastern Washington we went from the hottest summer on record 34 days over 90 most of those in a row, to the low 50's 3 weeks later my peppers filed a formal complaint and went on strike. Brought em inside in hopes to ripen all the unrippened pods. I noticed about a week and a half ago growth seemed to almost stop completely, so have them under supplemental light to compensate for our shorter days hope it all works, I've got proper sauce to make lol.

Not for another 2 1/2 months or so. :D

The problem is that last year's overwintered plants are now so big they won't go through the door w/o getting torn up.  I'll have to trim them back quite a bit.  And with ~30 plants in total, lugging them in on the thankfully rare freezing nights will be a non-trivial undertaking.  Time for another sell-off or giveaway!

I've got 2 plants in ~20 gallon buckets that are just too frigging big to drag anywhere.  I'll have to toss a blanket over them and hope for the best, perhaps adding a small heater or hot plate to provide a little extra warmth if we get into the 20s.

Back