• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone bringing in their plants from outdoors?

We had frost last night even though they did not say zero, and the prospect this week is in the teens, C, and this week end its suposed to go to -1c with rain, so looks like the warm spells are over. But then weather forecasting is as good as toss of the dice lol.

oldsalty said:
Still 90 deg here!! Sorry :) I feel for the cold weather members. But when it's hot and humid here even the devil moves out!!! Hahaha

This. 

My temperatures this week are all 85-High & 70-Low.  Plants spent all summer producing slightly because of the heat and are just hitting stride 1.5 months before frost. 

Vicious Vex said:

This. 

My temperatures this week are all 85-High & 70-Low.  Plants spent all summer producing slightly because of the heat and are just hitting stride 1.5 months before frost. 

You two ought to have some great pepper-growing weather after this cold front rolls through. It's really cooling things off up here. One more like this without a warmup in between and that'll be about it for my season.

This Lemon Drop started looking a little sad from the fall weather. It has given me hundreds of delicious pods this summer, so it's time.

Attachments

• 20150928_171639.jpg
    20150928_171639.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 20150928_174853.jpg
    20150928_174853.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20150928_181451.jpg
    20150928_181451.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 20150928_183256.jpg
    20150928_183256.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 47
I was completely underwhelmed by the flavor of the Datil. It was like a orange habanero/Aji limon mix but not really amazing and the plants were not big producers.  if you like lemon drop (aji limon) then you might like them, Im sticking with yummy plain ol Orange habs from now on.

After last year's aphid infestation in the basement I swore I wouldn't be overwintering. Due to multiple setbacks I wasn't able to isolate this year and I have a few plants that are putting out some really cool pods. Saved seed but afraid I'd have to plant a dozen of each to hopefully get the color and shape again and even then it might not happen. I'll cut them down very short with no leaves and see how that goes. I trimmed the branches last year and removed all the leaves but every time leaves grew back aphids swarmed. Pulled leaves off all winter. Plants never really recovered. Yellow leaves all summer and low pod output.

Potted I'm saving
Superhot Beast
Bih Caramel
White Bhut Weaver Strain
One of each Naga Brain
One of each Lava
Pimenta Moranga Cross light leaved
Pimenta Moranga Cross dark leaved

Digging up
Brown Bhutlah SLP (this one has very gnarly pods compared to all the pics I've seen)
BBM (another plant putting out gnarly crocodile hide pods)
Jay's Ghost Scorpion Chocolate (putting out gnarly mustard colored pods, many with "faces")
Bhutlah x BBG7

I'm also going to try the fumigation method I've read about once plants are trimmed on top and bottom. Take a Hot Shot pest strip and put into a margarine tub. Put lid on and punch holes. Place on top of the soil. Put a garbage bag over the top and let sit for a few minutes. Should kill everything. I'm going to try and do this with the plant out of the soil so the roots are exposed. Hopefully this will kill everything. If not I'll just pull leaves off all winter. Hell with them trimmed down short it shouldn't be too hard to control them. Could probably just squish them

Thegreenchilemonster said:
This Lemon Drop started looking a little sad from the fall weather. It has given me hundreds of delicious pods this summer, so it's time.

Wow, that guy had a strong set of roots.  Thanks for posting the pics, this will be my first year overwintering a few plants so it helps a lot to see how you did it.

M

My plants just came indoors 2 days ago. They are sitting under their artificial sun for the winter. I still have a ton of pods on my plants.

Geonerd said:

:?:

Cuttings from where?  How do you start them?  
I may do it too with a couple of plants. I put mine in my aerogarden.
I have 11 plants right now. I will probably keep about 5-6 more. If they won't fit on this shelf they're not coming in.

Mine will likely come in this weekend. Forecast calls for about 53 f.
I gave them all a hair cut except the Peri Peri and moved them into new pots.
Still need to get some bigger grow lights, I only have a small one for starting seeds.
I did take a few cuttings from my older Reaper plant just to see if I can grow them.
BTW any recommendations on how effective lady bugs are at pest control on over wintered plants ?

We had our first snow on the 6th, supposed to snow today as well. The weather is still "Sick" yesterday was +15c, 0c right now but nights are normally around -5 to -1c, up and down like a yoyo.

In NJ, I got a frost early and I didn't know about it so all my plants in the ground died.  I am bummed because I really did want to OW some of them.  Anyways, the plants I had in containers did not die so I brought some of them indoors.  I have a Trinidad Chocolate Scorpion, a White Bullet Hab, a Cayenne and a Aji Melocoton.  I also have a Masquerade plant, which was in a display at my father in law's wake, so I am trying to keep that one around for the memories. 

I have not seen any aphids this year as of yet, which is odd because for the past two years, I would get infested with them on my OW's.  In the past, I picked up some bug netting, covered my plants and then released the ladybugs and they worked great!  Eventually, they all died and there were plenty of ladybug carcasses all over the floor.  Sounds kind of cruel but it worked.

Been reading this thread with interest. Living in Scotland means a short growing season so i'm going to give it a try so i get a head start with some plants next year.
Is it necessary to cut back the branches /roots or can i leave the plant as is? I have a lemon drop which was one of this year's success stories but looking at chilemonster's lemon drop being chopped back i'm a wee bit wary! lol. Also have a datil that started producing pods too late, so would like to keep that too.
Any advice would be great guys.
P.s.  Is there an easy way to take/grow cuttings?

scotsbonnet said:
Been reading this thread with interest. Living in Scotland means a short growing season so i'm going to give it a try so i get a head start with some plants next year.
Is it necessary to cut back the branches /roots or can i leave the plant as is? I have a lemon drop which was one of this year's success stories but looking at chilemonster's lemon drop being chopped back i'm a wee bit wary! lol. Also have a datil that started producing pods too late, so would like to keep that too.
Any advice would be great guys.
P.s.  Is there an easy way to take/grow cuttings?
there was a good thread that thoroughly describe how to do a cutting. Do a search and you should be able to find it. If I see it I'll link it.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/48144-a-guide-for-cloning-pepper-plants/page-2#entry1178250

I've got 3 reapers, 7 pot burgundy, Jamaican hot chocolates,Scorpion orange, pusa jwala, brown moruga and a yellow fatalii inside.
An entire table devoted to them in my basement. Only the light from the window coming in at this time yet it's producing shoots like crazy. My scorpions,7 pots and fataliis were my best producers this year so im hoping for better next year.

Threat of freezing tonight.
Am taking favorites or those with pods yet to ripen inside.  Most of the the rest will stay out, covered.  The less healthy or not-so-hot varieties will be brought under a tree for a little radiative insulation and left to their fate.

Many of the plants have really faded over the last few weeks, when we've had nights in the high 30s and low 40s.  Older leaves are yellowing and/or falling off in droves, but pods continue to slowiy ripen in the 70 and sunny days. 

Think I'm going to have to severely prune several big, bushy dudes, just to get them in the door later in the season when covering won't guarantee survival.

Back