smokers Anyone built their own smoker?

Here is my new super ghetto cold smoker. The hot side is a used file cabinet, and the cold side is a used wall cabinet. I got the two cabinets at Community Forklift, which is an awesome store, for $7.40. Just like the flower pot smokers, the hot side uses a hot plate. After running for several hours the cold side never got above 80F, while the ambient temperature was about 72F.

IMG_20121019_162454.jpg

IMG_20121019_162511.jpg

I made mine out of a 55 gal drum with a removable lid. I have like $30 into it and it works great, i have been smoking with it for 4 years.

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
there's a way to make a relatively small one out of terracotta pots and a hot plate.

My buddy did this and it was extremely successful. I've eaten pork shoulder out of it and it was awesome - and since it's electric you don't have to work as hard to maintain an even temp all night/day.

http://www.instructables.com/id/a-little-brown-egg-in-Maine%3A-terra-cotta-smoker/

Chicken.jpg

a-little-brown-egg-in-Maine-terra-cotta-smoker.jpg

google terracotta smoker and you'll get like 30 links documenting how to build one.
This is the design that Alton Brown created and showcased on his show Good Eats.  how did it work for you?

image_zps4a6062f1.jpg

first time posting a picture....

but this is my home built somker... in the works... still tweaking... but i can load this thing to the top...  just added a couple exhaust pipes to the side, to control smoke and temp better...  i run it off propane, rather than wood/charcol...  i did it this way to be completely portable, and versitale...

i can run it as low as 150F... and well it has a 65,000 BTU burner... so i can pretty much take it as high as i want...

Don't build a trash can smoker, heating galvanized metal is dangerous and you can get zinc poisoning. You will also be hard pressed to find a non-galvanized can.

Retaining and maintaining heat is a big part of smoking so I can see terra cotta working okay with one burner, as long as it seals. The ones I have seen before have two of the same size pots (one inverted) to create the seals but the one above does not look good.

agreed... galvanized metal is bad... thats why i didnt want to use an old drink machine.... 

i found this stainless steel cabinet for sale... locally... which it came out of a Clothes cleaner business.... and it was used to steam clothes in...

PERFECT... all stainless.... i welded in some bars, so i can set in stainless steel Racks, or hooks.. depending on what i want do... and my heat chamber is about 15 cubic feet... 3ft widex2ft deepx3 tall ( give or take a bit )..

As for steel drums ( not trash cans ).... there are lots around here, which are not galvanized.... lots containing "mineral spirts"... in the 45 gallon to 55 gallon size...  flash burn them... coat them with oil... then a heavy smoke... and they are usable...

I am building an ugly drum smoker. I got 2 55g drums from work, welded a simple frame, cut everything with a plasma cutter. All I have left to do is weld up some hinges, a flue, some maybe some high temp silicone to make a gasket on the doors and some handles and I am done. Might paint, have not decided. I am trying to get all the parts from work so it doesn't cost me anything, lol

I built this smoker 25 years ago. It started life as a 1940's "Frigidaire by Only General Motors" refrigerator.

smoker4.jpg

Basically just gutted it then added vent registers down low on one side and one on top to control air flow. The hotpad is for pre-heating and for continued drying once the smoking is finished. It comes out when the small hibachi with a small charcoal fire and damp hickory wood (mostly) gets placed under the steel table.

smoker2.jpg

I've used it all these years for everything, but I now have other smokers large and small, depending on the crowd, for various meats. So now it just does peppers. The top has stackable racks (Cabelas) up to 6 high.

Today, I finished my UDS. I have about $60 into it (including the drum). Was quite easy. 

I procured a drum locally, it was lined but only $15. 

IMG_20140720_074816488-L.jpg

The, I made a big fire to burn the liner off the inside, as a bonus it was hot enough to (mostly) remove the exterior paint. 

IMG_20140720_091011201-L.jpg

I used a leaf blower to stoke it.
After a few hours, the paint was mostly gone and the liner was just a chalky residue. Bring on the wire wheel!

IMG_20140720_125149712-L.jpg

IMG_20140721_102352749-L.jpg

Always wear appropriate PPE! In this case, there was a surprising amount of debris in my mask.

IMG_20140721_104508940_HDR-L.jpg

The hardware was relatively cheap at the local big box store (all stainless steel). 

IMG_20140721_111107008-L.jpg

I used a brush on high temp paint.. 

IMG_20140721_121150005_HDR-L.jpg

I made a charcoal basket with expanded metal, some bolts and a spare grill I had laying around from a retired smoker. 

IMG_20140721_133843%3Anopm%3A-L.jpg

Finished!

IMG_20140721_133811%3Anopm%3A-L.jpg

With the ball valve open and the bung removed, it stays put at around 300 deg. I think the temp will be very easy to manage. 

Back