• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone tried a pepper called Bonda Ma Jacque ?

kylestl said:
I have tried a dried pod and it was really good I got it from this guy

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheHippySeedCompany#p/u/51/bKrYCFbmetU

Ah yes this is that famous australian guy tasting the different peppers. I see he's really big around here. I didnt realize he sells stuff. I thought he just likes making vids but now i see he's got a full blown chili business :) Well maybe my next seeds will be through him then.

My last batch of seeds were from the link I put earlier and from a site in the states called pepperjoe I think.

He will like that you called him famous! :)

I love this chilli and I have 2 plants growing this season. It's has a mild to hot heat and has an awesome flavour. The flavour to me is very citrus like, and on first taste I remember thinking for a second or so that it was almost a sweetish taste.

I highly recommend this chilli and I'm looking forward to making a nice sauce from it.....I'm thinking pineapple base sauce will be perfect!!

moyboy said:
I love this chilli and I have 2 plants growing this season. It's has a mild to hot heat and has an awesome flavour. The flavour to me is very citrus like, and on first taste I remember thinking for a second or so that it was almost a sweetish taste.

I highly recommend this chilli and I'm looking forward to making a nice sauce from it.....I'm thinking pineapple base sauce will be perfect!!

I'm definitely ordering seeds. So would the taste be something like an orange habanero with less of that habanero taste? Is the heat like half of the hab or even less? Sounds so tasty.

I found them quite hot, somewhere a little less than orange habanero heat but more of a fatalii or citrus flavor, almost sweet. For me they start out growing slow and then really pick up when it warms up in the summer

POTAWIE said:
I found them quite hot, somewhere a little less than orange habanero heat but more of a fatalii or citrus flavor, almost sweet. For me they start out growing slow and then really pick up when it warms up in the summer

Agree with Potawie - Habanero styled, but a little more lemon/citrus flavour...

Here's a pic from last season

BondamaJacques-1.jpg

/René

I have one of these growing this season, the seeds came from a pod that Hippy gave me, so it's a famous pod :D It is in my top three pepper list.
I am waiting for some pods to ripen at the moment and getting impatient :) If you buy seeds off Hippy i can assure you that you will not be dissapointed, his seeds fire on all cylinders.

Bonda ma jacques is my new favorite pepper, I grew six plants this past summer, and they are fairly productive too. the taste is kinda like a lighter version of fatalli, fruity, but not as intensely fruity flavored as fatalli, and not nearly as hot as fatalli... they are equal in heat to most of the habaneros I've grown but the fatallis I've grown here are noticeably hotter than any of the habs I've grown... and do I love the fatallis but they really strip the back of my throat with searing heat, the bonda's have a nice burn and a lighter fruity flavor, I like to finely chop up a couple of them and put them in something like chicken with mushrooms,thai basil,bell pepper, onions and gravy served on thai jasmine rice...really nice, and I also like them mixed into red potatoes with a good splash of olive oil and a dash of fish sauce ... I got the seeds from rainbow chile seeds.

I ordered some seeds from Neil. Some had hairline cracks .... me thinks the postal services treated them badly. I've picked out the good looking ones. I've planted 8 seeds but none have worked for me. I'll try another batch and see what happens. I really want to grow some of these.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Hey Dreadie it is strange that seeds from Neil didn't sprout.
I have some spare seeds, PM me if you like.

Nova thanks for your offer , but I'm thinking all will be fine. I told Neil about the crushed/cracked looking seeds saying he might want to pad the packages to the US better, he offered to send more seeds. I told him I'm fine as of now and figure that things will work out. I know Neil's first class , so no worries. If things don't work this year .... I plan on being around the next. I do wonder if the postal services X-ray packages or something that might effect seeds ?? Just a thought ....

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Its usually the postal rollers that does the seeds in but never give up. I've had small shreds of seeds germinate, it was very surprising!

POTAWIE thanks .... I figured if they were cracked it was a no go. I bought 2 packs of everything I got from Neil because the down under is so far from Tejas . I've kept the cracked ones .... didn't know why ..... just did. I started more today so I should get at least one or two to grow this year if I keep it up.

I got some seeds from Fatalii last year called Madame Jeanette could these be the same with a different name ??

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Back