beer ASK WHEEBZ

actually Three Floyds made a similar beer, and won gold medal for smoked beers at the Great American Beer Festival

they used cherry wood to smoke their malt

That sounds wicked cool Wheebz! I CAN NOT wait to taste your concoctions!!!!!

You're like a beer poet! :D The Bard of Barley! hahahahahahaha

Wheebz,

I found this on a website as a clone for Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar. What do you think about it? Is it missing anything besides yeast? Also, what yeast would go well with it?

5 lb Briess CBW Brewers Gold Dry Malt Extract
Specialty Grains: .5 lb Brown Malt .5 lb
Crystal Malt 75L .5 lb
Crystal Malt 120L
.25 lb Chocolate Malt
Bittering Hops: .5 oz Perle Pellet Hops
Flavor Hops: .5 oz Perle Pellet Hops
Aroma Hops: .5 oz Liberty Pellet Hops
Specialty Ingredient: 2 oz Hazelnut Natural Flavoring
4oz Corn Sugar for priming
Makes 5 US Gal of Premium Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar

Sounds about right

and for yeast, Wyeast actually makes a smack pack of the Rogue Pacman yeast that they use for all of their beers, so if you want to get as close as you can I would go with that

I ended up going with 7 lbs of DME and White Labs Pacific Ale Yeast. The local home brew shop only has WyYeast by special order at this location and the bossman there recommended a bit more DME to make it a bigger beer. What do you think brew master?

Also, I have been reading a lot about adding half the DME at the last 15 mins of boil or at flame out. What do you think about this?

adding your DME at different times is pointless

throw it in at the beginning of the boil, the only tying you are using your DME for is fermentable sugars, and you want those alpha acids isomerized as much as possible with those sugars

and as far as a bigger beer, thats all fine and dandy, i like bigger beers myself, and it should actually come out to around 6% abv if it attenuates properly

i dont remember off the top of my head what hazlenut brown is, pretty sure its 6.2, but not possitive, so this should work out for you

Awesome. Thanks again man. There is just so much information out there its nice to hear it from an expert. Thank you.

So, I tried my first brew. It is an IPA and it fermented for 12 days and it has been bottled for 5 days, and since I am an impatient bastard I decided to try it tonight. It was as expected only lightly carbonated, but the part that I didn't like was the caramelized taste that it has. It is almost like an IPA raped a dunkelwiezen and out came my beer. It is not horrible, but definitely not what I was going for. Is this because the corn sugar has not all been used up by the yeast or did the sugars from the extract caramelize and produce this taste? How can I prevent this in the future, or do I just need to relax and let it do its thing for another week or two?

give me the ingredients and I can further let you know

but if its tasting like a dunkelweizen, then you probably have other problems than the recipe

dunkelweizen as in what, as in you get the banana and clove and vanilla you are supposed to get from the weizen yeast, or like a caramel almost butterscotchy taste, like buttered popcorn a little bit?

9 lbs Light malt extract (liquid)
1.5 lbs Crysral 15

Hops
Magnum 1.5 oz @ 60 min
Falconers 2oz @ 30 min
Cascade 2oz @ 10 min
Centennial 2 oz @ 5 min
Cascade 2 oz @ 1 min

And it is like the caramel butterscotchy taste.

diacetyl

off flavor from yeast

what temperature did you ferment at, what yeast strain did you use, how long did you let it sit in the fermenter, what days did it stop bubbling

Wheebz, should call this thread "Ask the Brew Master"

You asked for feedback before so since it's been a while here's what I remember

First, all of the beers were affected by some time spent fermenting too hot, above 90 degrees F

English Brown Porter - least affected came out malty and a perfectly bitter and not overly hoppy

Austrailan Ale - You called it in that there was a sharpness from the fussel alcohols produced when too hot but was still drinkable

Hard Cider - came out very dry, drinkable but I would have liked a touch of sweetness still in it. I thought about trying to backsweeten it but it was gone before I had a chance.

Really appreciate all your help and looking forward to the 13th when I'll get to sample some of the Masters brews

Cheers,
RM

Back