beer ASK WHEEBZ

yep you can do a dry hop to replace the aromatics

and pitch the entire pack, being that the yeast will not be going through their log phase when they usually multiply 4-6 fold, there isnt enough nutrients or food for them to eat anymore, therefore they will not grow

Hey Wheebz :) I will be brewing a wheat beer in the coming days and would like for you to give me some advice in regards to which grain to use.
I have a can of Coopers Wheat Beer goop and want to steep some grain to add to it to improve the body as i like my beers on the heavy side. Will be a 23 litre batch. Any other adjucts i could use to improve it and what yeast would you recommend?

Thanks mate.

Well if you are brewing a traditional hefeweizen, you wouldnt add any other grains other than wheat and a pale malt

but, what you could do, is throw is some Crystal/caramel 60, like 12oz, and make it a dunkelweizen, or a dark wheat beer

richer body, little darker in color, and very tasty

as far as yeast, a bavarian hefeweizen yeast strain is going to be your best bet, and if I remember for the dry yeast packets they are blue in color, liquid yeast vials would be the WLP 300 or if you can find it, the WLP 351

Hey Wheebz, I have a batch of Mead that is going over 3 minutes between burps. I'm going to racknit to a secondsry but Ibread on a mead website thst theyt cold crashing it for a week and then racking to a secondary which helps to
clear it up alot. Wouldnut be better to cold crash it before or after racking to the secondary and if I cold crash it before bottling will I still be able to make some of it sparkling?

If you summon Capt' Awesome and all his glory, you better plan on buying more than one beer FD! I mean look at him. He is worth at least a sixpack just for showing up!

Wheebz.jpg

Hey Wheebz, I have a batch of Mead that is going over 3 minutes between burps. I'm going to racknit to a secondsry but Ibread on a mead website thst theyt cold crashing it for a week and then racking to a secondary which helps to
clear it up alot. Wouldnut be better to cold crash it before or after racking to the secondary and if I cold crash it before bottling will I still be able to make some of it sparkling?

if you are going to make it sparkling, you really cant crash it unless you have some way to force carb at those low temperatures

i mean you can, but as far as the detrimental effects on mead yeast from allowing it to free rise in temp back to an acceptable level for activity for carbonation, I do not know how well they will perform

what I would suggest is not crashing it whatsoever, rack it to a secondary, allow it to clear as much as it can in there, a good 2 weeks or so, and then bottle/prime and condition at like 55-60 degrees for 3 months at a minimum

most of the meads that I have had that have been any good have sat for at least a year

So - the corned beef's slow cooking and I just poured my 1st Guinness (of the day!)....

Okay Wheebz, this is a total noob-dork question, but I don't really know how to describe beer yet, so bear with me....

What makes Guinness so damn good?! I mean, is there an overall 'flavor', or 'tone'? Why does it taste so rich, but never seems to hit the back of my tongue? I like beer, but after a couple, it kind of gives me a gag reflex thing...but not this stuff! Why/what is that?! I'm trying to school myself a bit before we hit Sarasota - so I'm not asking these questions frivolously.

Have yourself a great day!!!! :D

unfortunately I cant really tell you why you like something over why you dont, thats your own personal preference

but as far as to why it might not make you gag after a couple, carbonation could have a play in it

guinness is actually thrown on whats called "beer gas" blend, a 75/25 co2/nitrogen blend

it might just make it easier to drink for you

Now that's an interesting idea! Thanks Wheebz! Are there any other "store" beers that play with gas blends? Just to test the theory, mind you! hahaha

I'm trying to learn how to describe beer better, so this is going to require a trip to the local brew pub...awww, bummer!!!! hahaha

Back