beer ASK WHEEBZ

do each of those additions, just make it like a quarter of what you would do for a typical WP addition for each one

you also want to shoot for like 20-25 ibus, and take in to account all of those additions plus the time in the whirlpool at 200+ degrees

Wheebz
I was planning to brew that Blue Moon clone you posted awhile back. I was planning to mash a 5 gallon batch and then split the wort into 2 1/2 batches to boil. With one I am going to do the orange peel and coriander. With the other I was going to add some blackberries.
Question: How much blackberries would you put into a 2 1/2 gallon batch? I was going to add some at flameout, then some to the secondary. Will that work out?
Lastly, do you think the coriander would be good with blackberries? Or is there another complimentary spice for fruit?
Thanks

Yeah i was thinking cinnamon or nutmeg. It's still a pseudo wit so I'd rather stay away from vanilla. But that would be good in a porter or stout. I forget which brewery, but I had a killer blackberry stout.

Sounds good. Like 1/4 vanilla bean?
Oh btw, I've got the beers all ready to send to you. I'll let you know when. Im going to send you Ballast Points Peppermint Victory at Sea.
It's definitely the best mint beer I've had. I love it. I want you to give it a try and see if it changes your mind on mint in beer. ;)

Hey Mr Awesome ...

This beer of yours ... I'm sure it's going to be good, but I can't remember what you were interested in the recipe for, and I don't want to miss the point ... what's is this a test of again - flaked barley? ...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454875362.646853.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454875371.960847.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454875380.732261.jpg

Smashed that one ...

I feel like I am having a discussion with grant

So here's something I've wondered recently. Barrel aging increases cost for a number of reasons, probably the top ones being space to store all those barrels, and the time it takes to fill to and from the barrels. And increased chance of infection as seen by BCBS this year.

Instead of using barrels, why not cut the barrels up into cubes and put those in a bright tank with the beer? Or maybe pass the beer through the wood in some sort of hopback machine?

they do that quite frequently with oak chips

and in stainless fermenters, however the time it takes even on chips is significantly longer than the amount of time you could turn around another beer in that same fermenter

Right, but are those plain chips with a char, or from actual <insert alcohol here> barrels

that all depends

there are a huge amount of factors to consider

time in barrels vs time in fermenter

cost of barrels compared to the cost and space of another fermenter

microoxidation factors you wont get from stainless

blending abilities you wont get

the cost of me buying 4 oak barrels is around 500 bucks

the microoxidation is definitely the factor you can't really get

the cost of me buying a fermenter for the same volume is 10,000

and it would have to still sit there for a month or so, even on chips, to make it beneficial

when I could turn over 2 or 3 beers in that same fermenter in the same amount of time

but like...storing barrels is an inefficient use of space as well. as is the moving shit back and forth from the barrels. I get that it all needs to come into play. Just wondering if there might be a better way, outside of the blending and microoxidation factors.

like a woodback

TM

some people use oak tannins

or oak flavorings

heck, might even be able to introduce the oxygen using a hopback but with wood

definitely not

oh right, ist the micro part that is pertinent

when I say micro oxidation i mean micro oxidation

like less than 50 ppbs

ah, yea...that makes sense

does anyone do wood in a hopback type machine? I'd be curious to see how something like that would work

it takes longer than just a simple flow a wood surface to extract what you want

the quickest i have seen it done is with oak spirals

thats the most surface area available

ok, I wasn't sure. Wondered if you could take a small % of the total volume, some 1/2 inch cubes, and recirculate it over that for a day and get any noticeable flavor when added back to the full volume

and if you rush it, you get all of the wood flavors, and none of the aspects of the barrel tannins and flavors, it just tastes like biting into wood

ah, that makes sense as well

there is a chemical change that happens over time, and thats exactly what it takes, time

damn, well, good to know. I figured if there was a way to speed it up someone would have, but then you get an idea and you never know if someone else thought of it

I wonder if a pressure cooker type thing would work, under pressure

probably not, but I like thinking on it

that doesnt make sense

just thinking like how they do essential oil extraction

not sure if its high or low pressure, but the "best" method has something to do with pressure.

high pressure CO2

like a couple hundred PSI

same way they do oil extractions for hops

you are talking about multi million dollar equipment to do a couple barrels worth of beer dude

and thats if its even possible, which I highly doubt it is

like I said, I have no idea. Just exploring thoughts on the topic.

CO2 extraction I get, lots of PSI makes the CO2 a liquid that acts as a solvent, dissolving the hops or whatever

and you're right, could be people have tried all this and none of it works for wood. I have no idea if you put the wood and beer under pressure if anything will happen. Might not need to be 100s of PSI, just brainstorming

i mean think about it

when would you toss it in a pressure cooker?

or anything like that?

you cant do it before fermentation, you cant do it after fermentation

I'd take something similar to a hopback that can be pressurized, send a small % fo the beer into that with the wood?

probably prefermentation, but idk

Haha ... I agree, that does sound like some of our past conversations ...

LOL.
But wait, there's more ...

That's the guy that gave me a hard time for liking BCS ... LOL ... from Darwin's ...

Haha!

ASK WHEEBZ -

I've been consuming the Interwebz hivemind on mead fermentation for the past three days, and while there's some holy wars and a couple of divergencies, it's a lot more tidy than brewing ...

One thing that I heard one qualified panelist mention was that divided-batch mead is technically challenging ...

The thing is, a few years later the same person talked about how scaling up their homebrew mead recipes to hundreds of gallons was for all intents and purposes linear, and that all of the troubles of becoming a meadery were related to the business aspects etc etc ...

If mead recipes scale from 1 to 5 to hundreds of gallons pretty linearly, why is there any real reason to believe that it would be difficult to do small batch (mason jars) so long as you have the ability to measure small weights of yeast accurately - which I do ...

It's bothering me conceptually/theoretically ... and has been for a few days ... so I have to ask ...

*** I'm probably going to do it anyways, so don't let yourself become offended if you tell me the reason why and I do it anyways ...

grantmichaels said:
ASK WHEEBZ -

I've been consuming the Interwebz hivemind on mead fermentation for the past three days, and while there's some holy wars and a couple of divergencies, it's a lot more tidy than brewing ...

One thing that I heard one qualified panelist mention was that divided-batch mead is technically challenging ...

The thing is, a few years later the same person talked about how scaling up their homebrew mead recipes to hundreds of gallons was for all intents and purposes linear, and that all of the troubles of becoming a meadery were related to the business aspects etc etc ...

If mead recipes scale from 1 to 5 to hundreds of gallons pretty linearly, why is there any real reason to believe that it would be difficult to do small batch (mason jars) so long as you have the ability to measure small weights of yeast accurately - which I do ...

It's bothering me conceptually/theoretically ... and has been for a few days ... so I have to ask ...

*** I'm probably going to do it anyways, so don't let yourself become offended if you tell me the reason why and I do it anyways ...
No matter what Wheebz says... That is genius way to try different types of mead.

But I do have to ask. How do you think of this shit? After work I try to engage in as much mindless stuff as I can.

tctenten said:
Since I am at work, and bored, I will run some numbers.  For a quart size mason jar.

3/4 lb honey
1 gram yeast

you could even use your Kraut Source lids.  

Those are really close to what I was planning ...

I've got my mason jar ecosystem spread all across my desk right now ...

Pics soon  ...

Back