beer ASK WHEEBZ

Okay ... 2nd offense ... have to ask now ...

ASK WHEEBZ -

Remember when you would come home to your empty cans on garbage day here in the Summer, and it would have just rained, and there would be that humid/putrid smell from the bottoms of them, after the afternoon shower would fall on them after they had sat out in the sun all day? ...

When I open really cold bottles of flavored beers ... there's an aroma of garbage, sometimes, that fades out with warming, and which you can't taste ...

But it's a foul aroma, and it's almost shocking when you taste it and it taste's good despite having a pretty horrid smell ...

What off-flavor is that, or what compounds smell at low temp but not as much at higher temp? ...

Curious about learning more about it, having now come across it a few times in commercial beers ...

It's yuck, dude.

It really fades out when the temp gets up to the upper 50's or lower 60's I gather, but at first, while top-shelf cold, it's screamin' actual garbage smells ...

first thing I think of is butyric acid, but you can taste and smell that

i mean I dont know of any smells that get better as they get warmer, like any smell ever that is more pungent when its cold as opposed to when its hot

the fact that you have come across it in many commercial beers makes me wonder if it isn't just you, not to be a dick, but ive never seen that phenomenon ever

Are you taking a wiff of these commercial beers like right when you open them out of the bottle and maybe getting a nostril full of CO2?

it might be sulfur

if you have smelled it in commercial pilsners or colder fermented beers, you might be smelling residual sulfur, which would be that rotten egg smell

could be a hypersensitivity to that, which would be on part to my above statement of it might just be you

I am hyper sensitive to ethyl acetate and I can pick it out in much smaller quantities than other people that I know

you might be onto it ...

i really have a disdain for poorly executed eggs, and always hated the smell of well water ... or even just hard water ...

ok, thanks ...

i think there might be a couple of ale yeasts from across the pond that just rub me wrong - making beers i feel like i "should" like, unappealing to me ...

over time i'm sure i'll track it down ...

thanks.

i can imagine each beer in question using flavored syrup, but none more than this most recent one:

http://www.asbcnet.org/publications/journal/vol/abstracts/49-02.htm

this beer has a little bit of butyric acid, i think ...

also, supposedly a characteristic of burton-on-trent, and were talkin' stout/porter ...

and i said i thought i'd noticed it in over-the-pond beers ...

kind of like how i randomly don't like cascade despite liking all of the other citrusy one's, i think there's a couple of particular ale yeasts whose character i just don't like ...

i know i like us-05 and wlp001 and wy1968, but i don't think i like wlp007 or s-04, and am neutral about wlp002 ...

if you have butyric acid in your beer, you fucked up, and hardcore

that is a major infection, which is why I think that is the least likely scenario, and that is very easily picked up before bottling

thats a pre/during fermentation infection for you to pick that up

i think this is a crappy ass florida beer ...

you know what? i think there's a significant lack of maturity in people around here's beer tasting experience and they're buying shitty, locally-produced swill and extolling the great craft beer explosion in the area ...

so much of the florida beer is just baaaaddd ... i'm sorry, it's just not up to snuff w/ the beer coming out of the hotbeds of craft beer ...

there are standout ITEMS, but not a single stand-out brewery where you can drink their beers across styles and they're all good ...

and that's def possibly, as i'm finding out ...

i can drink the entire line-up from OB, Founders, or Green Flash ... i mean, really, i've had twenty-five plus beers from those three, and the Rubaeus or whatever fruit beer from Founders is the only one I didn't consume ...

I rarely drain-pour beer anymore, figuring it's best to keep expanding and challenging my palate, and so typically I'll just gulp-gulp it down and say good riddance, but I'm drain-pouring the bad Florida beers ... they are just not there, most of them anyways, in my opinion ...

I think Praerie Bomb or whatever makes some good one's, I like the Green Bench IPA a lot, I think Funky Budda is making good beer, and there are individual stand out items from CCB and Cycle ... and a bunch of other crap, at least in terms of whats being packaged for sale outside the brewery's anyways ...

The only Beers worth a damn from any Florida breweries (excepting Green Bench's canned IPA) are $14-25 per bottle ...

Only the bottle release beers and/or limited release kegs are great ...

There's all these cans around, and they are placed w/ the macros, and they aren't much better than them ...

And the Q/A is abysmal ... floaties galore ... super down on most of the canned beer of Florida origin ...

look, i mean, i've had this on the tip if my tongue for a while ...

i wasn't sure it wasn't me ...

but i went out of my way to shell out and drink unlocal, and man, there's loads of killer beer out there ... it's just not originating here ... it's not ...

now i know it just really isn't, which makes it really easy to focus on my homebrewing tbh ...

i think i'll probably wind down the consumption of commercial beers a good bit going forward ...

The problem is every brewery that opens up thinks they make killer beer for one reason for another. 50% or more of the breweries out there have only experience homebrewing or working in their own breweries. 

I can honestly say that MAYBE 20% of the breweries out there are making actual good beer. There is a reason the same breweries win over and over again at the big competitions. 

i can only agree ...

buying commercial from small op's always leaves me feeling like i'm drinking a one-off, a recipe that hasn't even had a single iteration of refinement/correction ...

and i know how my big beer changes, and i know i'm getting young beers too ... that nikolai vorlauf from FB is going to blossom, i just know it, but it wasn't REALLY time- they just wanted to release the week after BC ...

dunno ...

mostly just excited about homebrewing, i guess ...

i already know i can make better ipa's right here for not having the hop-fade of a distrib chain, i guess i just hope i can get really nice BA characteristics using spirits and wood in-keg, because i'm kind of over paying for hyped up meh beer ...

:cheers:

wheebz said:
Still waiting on you to send me beers
you, ozzy, tctenten, wafflebum, and smokenfire ...

yes, i know ...

i ordered pink tape from amazon yesterday - coming tomorrow ...

have to swap regulators and change two co2 tanks and i'm go ...

can't find tape in my bins ... think i tossed it by accident ...

looking forward to you getting shitfaced ...

jayt's bhut stout =)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456278258.998229.jpg

Back