Here's the Founder's Breakfast Stout Recipe as listed on the AHA website;

For 5 Gallons (19 L)

13.25 lb (6.01 kg) pale malt
1.5 lb (0.68 kg) flaked oats
0.75 lb (340 g) roast barley
0.75 lb (340 g) Belgian chocolate malt
0.5 lb (227 g) Belgian debittered black malt
0.5 lb (227 g) 120°L crystal malt
1.0 oz (28 g) Nugget pellet hops, 13% a.a. (60 min)
1.25 oz (35 g) Willamette pellet hops, 5% a.a. (25 min)
1.75 oz (49 g) Willamette pellet hops, 5% a.a. (10 min)
2.5 oz (71 g) Belgian bittersweet chocolate (15 min)
1.5 oz (42 g) unsweetened cocoa nibs (15 min)
2.0 oz (57 g) ground Sumatran coffee (flameout)
2.0 oz (57 g) cold brewed Kona coffee (in secondary)
American or California Ale yeast

SPECIFICATIONS
Original Gravity: 1.092
IBU: 73
SRM: 60

DIRECTIONS
To brew this Kentucky Breakfast Stout clone, perform an infusion mash at 155°F (68°C) for 60 minutes. Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops, chocolate and coffee as specified. Ferment for two weeks at 65°F (18°C). Soak 0.25 oz (7 g) toasted French oak chips in 1 cup (237 ml) Kentucky bourbon for two days. Soak ground Kona coffee in 1 cup (237 ml) boiled, cooled water and leave overnight, covered, in refrigerator. Strain out grounds and add cold-brewed coffee, bourbon and wood chips to sanitized secondary. Rack fermented stout onto this mixture and condition in secondary at 55–60°F (13–16°C) for 2 to 6 months.

wheebz said:
pending approval on joining the group, so I cant see the post

Was arguing about the the BC's and I was saying it was more like oxidation and/or O2 ingress under the cap than an infection, and then someone suggested it was the fancy embossed bottles not flushing well (O2 trapped in the grooves) ...

Seems like a pretty good conclusion to me ... nothing about the beer says infection to me, tastes more like rapid-staling ...

I would look for excess carbonation for an infection, as you'd think the likely bugs for infection would be able to go to town on all the residual sugars in a BC, and in fact the beers are flat if anything ...

I also don't see that many critters setting up shop in a 14.3% beer, which is the ABV on the batch that's coming up with problems 21Oct15 ...

Also figure someone's looked at it in a lab by now, and that someone would have leaked that they were infected if they were ...

Will be curious what you think of the thread later, once you get added!

Wheebz - Is it worth doing the IBD courses and exams?  

There is a gap in the local market here for distilleries, there are only 2 within 300 km of each other at opposite ends of town.  Thinking about proposing a partnering with a larger vineyard to sell under their label, as the cellars are making the big alcohol bucks in town and they have an established brand.    

https://www.ibd.org.uk/

IBD courses are great

however, the best ones are ones that you do in person, with actual hands on experience

reading notes and outlines from a course is basically the same as reading from a bunch of books and notes you find online, but physically doing it is where you gain a benefit from it

wheebz said:
IBD courses are great

however, the best ones are ones that you do in person, with actual hands on experience

reading notes and outlines from a course is basically the same as reading from a bunch of books and notes you find online, but physically doing it is where you gain a benefit from it
The federal budget was brought down last night, they are going to overhaul tax on distilleries, returning 60c in the dollar for the first $30k of sales by volume.  Craft distillery is about to explode as an industry in Australia now.  

I think the IBD does a prac course as part of their qualification that it 2 weeks on site, so not as good as being there all the time but still a good experience.  

I frequently do half batches, and you can to

grant does all of his beer in half batches

headspace only matters if you have your beer in an unpurged environment, or if carbonating in a pressurized vessel

or in an oak barrel, but thats a whole nother ballgame

wheebz said:
I frequently do half batches, and you can to

grant does all of his beer in half batches
headspace only matters if you have your beer in an unpurged environment, or if carbonating in a pressurized vessel

or in an oak barrel, but thats a whole nother ballgame
Carbonating in a pressurized vessel?? Unless I am misunderstanding...isn't that a keg? Sorry if this is a stoooopid question, but does that mean a freshly filled keg that will be carbonated with CO2 should not have much headspace?

Back