• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

baby food in hot sauce

so i have seen a lot of people posting that they can not find the consistency they are looking for.
i have not made a hot sauce yet but have been thinking up a recipe.
fatalii
pineapple
onion
lime juice
vinegar
salt
tequila
and banana baby food for the smooth texture and to add more sweetness

i am wondering if this sounds crazy or if anyone else has tried it yet?

This is just crazy enough to be cool.

I suggested baby food as a throwdown ingredient last year and was laughed at (not by you paul)

People who don't have kids can't necessarily appreciate baby food. Its just pureed fruits and veggies. Nothing artificial. They have organic even.
Plus, you can get just a small amount of strange stuff for under a dollar. For instance, in Miami I can buy Guava baby food. No artificial stuff with it. Maybe citric acid in some of them.
39 cents.

I think it's a great idea to try it in hot sauces.

True you can do it on your own, but it IS cheap and easy.

A warning on the bananas, they aren't as sweet as they sound. If I remember correctly (my youngest doesn't eat that anymore) they are kinda tart.

Keep everyone posted on that sauce, looks good!

the gerber seem to be pretty sweet and yeah i have a 1 year old so i am very familiar with the variety of options i am probably going to continue experimenting it seems to work well

This is a great thread. I have a 10 month old baby and I always think about the flavor profiles of baby would would be an interesting Hot Sauce.

I do recycle the baby food bottles for my sauces to give to friends. LOL.

After reading this discussion, I decided to experiment. So I picked up some discounted Gerber Peaches....and some Apples with black cherries.
I used some Red Savina mash that has been aging in the fridge for about 10 months,bought a fresh pineapple along with some fresh Bing cherries and made a couple sauces and chutney.
The Peach/Pineapple....and Apple/black cherry/pineapple both have a very pleasing fruity taste and fresh fermented flavor with some substantial heat.
I really liked the initial taste test and smooth texture/consistency a lot. I have since moved them to the refrigerator and after a few weeks of aging, I'll try and post some pics.
Thanks for the inspiration wondertwin
CM

I was wondering about baby food aswell.
Banana hot sauce....Sounds interesting.

ufc-ketchup-005-500x500.jpg

If you want to try it out you can find spicy "banana catsup" in most Asian markets in the Filipino section, there is a spicy and non spicy version so watch out. They actually have it at the Asian section at some of the regular grocery stores here as well. It's basically banana puree with red food coloring to make it look like ketchup. It is VERY tasty with fried food, especially fried chicken or pork.

Back