• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Babyback Ribs

So tell me about this mustard rub. I have seen people do it on tv. Do you taste the mustard much? I have never done that with ribs, but I have done it with a pork loin. I make a Pork Wellington that way.

Actually, not much at all! Just gave that extra little "zing" to the finished product. I was surprised!

Ribs rubbed:

9177961774_3e9fe69707_b.jpg

Water pans set and ready:

9175761615_e4c20fd19f_b.jpg

Applewood chips soaking:

9178035510_9a996c06a6_b.jpg

Coals getting started:

9178052376_05f1a5da96_b.jpg

Ribs on and smoking.... I'd open it up and show ya, but that would be a smoking faux pas. Never open it just to peek!

9178352164_543c4226bd_b.jpg

Hmmmmm.... I should really refinish those shelves.

Phil said:
Tampa Bay's daddy
just seen this.    i cant stand tampa bay! infact the only florida team i like is orando magic. i was visting orlando when they just got the magic and got to tour there unfinished arena. then my favorite college player shaq got drafted by them from your boys lsu.   

ribs look like they going to be providing some love in a while.   one thang! that beer looks like its empty? looks like you started to even pull it out of the cozie.   are you fake drinking?   

LOL! No. it was almost empty. Wanted to show the label. I just grabbed a full Michelob Ultra. Beer is good! Fake drinking???? Where am I from, again?????

Just basted the ribs with....... get this........ SWEET TEA! Should be interesting. Rubbed with applewood rub and cayenne, been on almost two hours now. Almost time to wrap them up in foil. I'll get a pic of them when I open the grill to wrap them.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, JHP. I like mellow beers. I don't like 'em too hoppy. Skunk ass beer. Moosehead moose piss, Heiney wipes... Coors light or Mich Ultra are my every day beers. When I go for imports, it's usually Stella or Hoegaarden.

time to wrap them

9179183036_5fb4cdd9a2_b.jpg

Can't tell a good rib until  they're cut.

Back ribs are not for me I like the spares. Nice flat planks of good rib meat. Not short curly bones with less meat. I guess as an appetizer, I'd hit that. :lol:

Yes sir!  Those look pretty damn good from where I'm sittin.
I'd piehole that all night long.

+1 on the link THP posted on the St. Louis rib dissection tutorial

The Hot Pepper said:

Guess you've never has St. Louis spares! You square them off and cut that part off. You also cut the flap meat off. And you peel the membrane off.

See: http://www.meatwave.com/blog/how-to-trim-a-rack-of-spare-ribs-to-a-st-louis-style-cut

If the spares have any of that other shit on it, they don't know shit!

PS. Those looks good.
+1 St Louis only way to go much meatier ! - The Flap meat is the Chef's piece - Each time I open to baste I grab a quick bite when no one is looking 

The Hot Pepper said:

Guess you've never has St. Louis spares! You square them off and cut that part off. You also cut the flap meat off. And you peel the membrane off.

See: http://www.meatwave.com/blog/how-to-trim-a-rack-of-spare-ribs-to-a-st-louis-style-cut

If the spares have any of that other shit on it, they don't know shit!

PS. Those looks good.
Or if you are lucky and have Costco, you head over and buy them already prepared and all that is left to do is season and smoke.

Back