• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Basic Hot Sauce ?

I'm new to the world of making hot sauces. I decided to find the simplest recipe online i could . it was supposed to be done with tabasco peppers to make a faux tabasco sauce I used red ghost peppers instead . 

20151019_152435.jpg

1 and 1/4 cup chopped ghost peppers 2 cups white vinegar little over 1 teaspoon salt bring to boil 
let cool then blend. This recipe said to let sit in refridgerator for 3 weeks but this stuff was blended pretty smooth. 
20151019_161712.jpg

It hurts the eyes for sure . Should it be fine just in the fridge or should I do something else. I put it in a jar that i sterilized in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. ANy suggestions ?

Sounds like a lot of vinegar to me. Also those Ghost's will be HOT with no fillers. I'd have put some onion, carrot, garlic and red bell pepper in there too. But that's just me! As for keeping, your acidity will be way high enough to keep in the fridge. Aging in the fridge will mellow and deepen the flavors. The peppers will come more to the front and the vinegar will round out.

If you decide to bottle, bring the whole mix up to a boil again and sterilize the containers.

Tabasco sauce is aged in oak barrels for 3 years you can't put ghost peppers and vinegar in a blender and think it will be like a hot Tabasco.

Roguejim said:
I predict it will be practically inedible due to the extreme heat.
You can always add, but you can't take away. :)

OP - Let it ride in the fridge until you want to mess around, then make another sauce with it. Make something tasty and balanced than spice it up with your super hot base. At least that's my .02 :)

Welcome to THP BadWolf!  What you've got there is pretty much pure fire.  No worries though; you can keep that in the fridge for months and spoon out a little here to kick up a pot of chili and a little there to bump up some wings, etc etc.  On it's own I doubt it will be palatable, but mixed in other dishes it will be fine.  :)

I dunno sounds tasty to me. Ghost pepper sauce, nothing else added. That's how I like mine. No apples or carrots in my straight pepper sauce. How is it?

When I blended some serrano peppers, lime juice, and a couple tomatillos into wine vinegar at first it was very thin. In the refrigerator, it thickened up far more than I had thought possible. Maybe you could add in lime juice and tomatillos. If your sauce is thick enough that it doesn't drip all over your hands and hot enough that it just takes a couple drops, that is a success.

SmokenFire said:
Welcome to THP BadWolf!  What you've got there is pretty much pure fire.  No worries though; you can keep that in the fridge for months and spoon out a little here to kick up a pot of chili and a little there to bump up some wings, etc etc.  On it's own I doubt it will be palatable, but mixed in other dishes it will be fine.  :)
This sounds like what ill be doing. I havent tasted this yet but by smell im pretty sure its weaponized vinegar.

I have a bunch of other peppersi purchased because my crops didnt yield very many. I'll try making a more complex sauce this weekend. Maybe something with mangos or carrots. Ill look at recipes. I'll probably freeze half of these for later use.

I've made a batch of 2 cups of halved reapers with 1/2 cup ACV and a little salt. Its my go to sauce/puree for those who think they like it hot rofl.

I'm making 2 similar batches this weekend with my choc habs and my choc fatali peppers. I like those peppers so much I want a pure pepper sauce/puree with nothing else but the flavor of those peppers.

Back