• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Basic sauce. How to...?

What are the basic ingredients for a hot sauce?

I have never made one, so have no point of reference, and can't even experiment...:oops:

Chillies. Anything else depends on sweet, sour, salty e.t.c. Add water or liquids to change consistency, strain or leave chunky, up to you. Have you searched the database here for a recipe yet?

Here's an amazing basic fresh sauce:
1/2 kg of chiles (no stem)
1 head of garlic
10 cardamom pods
10 cloves
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 cup of lime juice
add salt as you wish

Put it all in a food processor 'til you get a nice smooth texture.
If you use green NuMex types, you can roast half first. you could also add a pickled lemon w/juice instead of the lime juice, if ya like.
If ya like more garlic, add some... if you like less, tough shit... :D

Deathtosnails said:
Chillies. Anything else depends on sweet, sour, salty e.t.c. Add water or liquids to change consistency, strain or leave chunky, up to you. Have you searched the database here for a recipe yet?

Yes, of course. ;)

SeeYouJimmy said:
You can and should experiment, how else can you come up with a sauce that's perfect for you??? Oh and be sure to report your findings.

I realise it's difficult to imagine someone who has ZERO clue in the kitchen, but until I have some idea where to start I'll guard my pods carefully. Thereafter, I shall happily experiment - thanks! :lol:

Omri said:
Here's an amazing basic fresh sauce:
1/2 kg of chiles (no stem)
1 head of garlic
10 cardamom pods
10 cloves
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 cup of lime juice
add salt as you wish

Put it all in a food processor 'til you get a nice smooth texture.
If you use green NuMex types, you can roast half first. you could also add a pickled lemon w/juice instead of the lime juice, if ya like.
If ya like more garlic, add some... if you like less, tough shit... :D

Toda Raba! :onfire:

You're a good man, Omri..!

No limes in South Africa, and none has ever heard of a pickled lemon - can I use standard lemon juice?

Can I mix Habanero, Cayenne and Bode Amarilha?

I don't really agree, but thank you. :)

It's a great multi-purpose sauce, easy to make and absolutely delicious. of course you can play with the quantities to your liking.
I always have a jar available in the fridge.

huntsman said:
No limes in South Africa, and none has ever heard of a pickled lemon - can I use standard lemon juice?
LOL, REALLY? you can make your own pickled lemons... normal lemon juice would be just fine, though.
huntsman said:
Can I mix Habanero, Cayenne and Bode Amarilha?
You can use any pepper you wish.
I personally like using ripe Caribbean Reds, green Orange Habaneros and green Anaheims. not together, but mixing would be good, too.

If you'd like to experiment, just throw some peppers into the food processor, turn it on and slowly add enough lime juice to get it to a consistency you like. Then add other things in your kitchen that you enjoy, like garlic, onions, other spices, etc. The best thing about homemade sauce is that you make it the way YOU want it to be!

I'll try the green ones as per your suggestion, but shops are closed here so no cilantro ( though it does sound yummy) and my wife refuses to blend the cardamom! She has a good point: Is this not going to taste a leeeetle overpowering? For our boring Western palates, I mean?

NoVa Hothead said:
If you'd like to experiment, just throw some peppers into the food processor, turn it on and slowly add enough lime juice to get it to a consistency you like. Then add other things in your kitchen that you enjoy, like garlic, onions, other spices, etc. The best thing about homemade sauce is that you make it the way YOU want it to be!

Dude, I'm already salivating here! You make it sound very easy (as I'm sure it is with a little practice) but is this 'lime juice' going to keep figuring in sauce making? We don't use lime juice in SA - as a general rule - but if it's important enough I'll find some!

Thanks!

huntsman said:
Dude, I'm already salivating here! You make it sound very easy (as I'm sure it is with a little practice) but is this 'lime juice' going to keep figuring in sauce making? We don't use lime juice in SA - as a general rule - but if it's important enough I'll find some!

Thanks!
It's not that important, but delicious, great in sauces and preserves pretty damn well.

huntsman said:

Thanks!

Anything goes Huntsman. Sometimes I'll use it and sometimes I don't. Here's a basic sauce I use when I want something quick:

peppers
vinegar
water
garlic
chopped onions
salt
maybe some carrots if I'm using Habs.

just be sure to cook it.

Jeez - I just weighed my entire green habs harvest and it's....50g!

I'll be lucky to fill a hollow tooth...!
grin.gif

PS We just found a kilo of green japs! Can I use those? (This is bloody exciting!)

Ballzworth said:
Anything goes Huntsman. Sometimes I'll use it and sometimes I don't. Here's a basic sauce I use when I want something quick:

peppers
vinegar
water
garlic
chopped onions
salt
maybe some carrots if I'm using Habs.

just be sure to cook it.

Hey Bud!

Cook it because...??? (So it doesn't go off?)

Later...

Well I decided to put my foot down, and the cardomom stays!

(Actually my wife went to the neighbours for a moment...)

We have no cummin, and I desperately need to know what to use as a substitute. PLS.

Here's the little bush...

hab31jan201001.jpg

and a close up...

hab31jan201002.jpg

and we're almost set:

firsteversauceattemptal.jpg

Back