• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

BeagleStorm vs 2011 - My Chile Grow Log

Ok first up is some photos of my over wintered plants. Scorpion, Naga Morich, Chocolate Bhut, and 2 x Harold St. Barts. More of an experiment... I have never tried to over winter plants before. Did not super prune the plants or the root balls. I just left them in their pots out in the semi-cold during early November and most of the leaves started falling off. Then I did a minimal prune to remove any remaining leaves and to clean them up a bit. Gave them a cup of water each and threw them in my parent’s garage. I gave them a second cup of water last weekend. They seem to be doing great. One plant had what seemed to be a few Aphids so I sprayed it with Organocide but they have been bug free for the last month. I want to keep them in pots, so I think I will need to transplant them into fresh soil and maybe bigger pots this spring. Just not sure how I am going to do it or what process I am going to use. I do know that I am going to keep them at my parents so they do not pass any nasty critters to my seedlings before spring comes. Any recommendations?

OverwinterA.jpg

OverwinterB.jpg

Got my containers mulched with hay and working today on getting the shade structure working again over the raised beds. Time to grow some HOT chile. LOL

JuneHeat.jpg

2011-06-27_08-46-40_841.jpg

2011-06-27_08-45-17_329.jpg

A few updated photos. My in ground plants are growing slow except for a few that are in full sun. Looks like I have some trees to chop for next year as about 65% of my raised garden is under huge branches. I have not seen the container plants shut down yet do to heat like they did last year. I have been watering every other day and no signs of over watering yet. I have been giving them a Botanicare feast once a week. Just switched to the bloom formula to see what happens. It has been 105-109 for the last week and plants still look good. I have them in partial shade all day under a tree. Forecast is for another 10 days of low 100+. Lots of flowers but they only last about 24 hours then drop so I don’t expect to set any pods till late July-August when the monsoons cool everything off. If I can keep the plants growing the whole time I think I will be happy with the results once they do pod up.

plants look great nice work!

man those are some hot temps you got there for my containers i built a cheap lil stucture outa 2x4 and a huge pallet when the sun is in the upper 90's here i throw some lattace over it works great for shade/partial sun.

:cheers:

Overall shots showing the slow growth in the shade and due to the early aphid attack. Half jabber been I'm the ground since April others May. A few older ones in the full sun are coming back strong. Going to remove sun shield in a few weeks once the 108 temps are behind me.
2011-06-28_18-50-23_613.jpg

2011-06-28_18-52-17_957.jpg

Here is a few detail shots
2 Huge beautiful basil plants and lots of small Chile plants.
2011-06-28_18-51-26_724.jpg

BeagleStorm. I was curious to see how the container plants with straw in them are doing. I live in Florida and i tried putting mulch in mine. It turned out to be a disaster. It seemed to keep the moisture in too well. After a couple of week I had to remove it due to root rot. I never watered them the whole time . I usually need to water twice a day.Thanks

BeagleStorm. I was curious to see how the container plants with straw in them are doing. I live in Florida and i tried putting mulch in mine. It turned out to be a disaster. It seemed to keep the moisture in too well. After a couple of week I had to remove it due to root rot. I never watered them the whole time . I usually need to water twice a day.Thanks

I put just enough straw to keep the soil covered and cool. I was trying to avoid putting it too thick and holding in the water as well. When it's 110 and 5% humidity i think the plants appreciate some water each day. On the raised beds I only put it on the side that gets full sun.

Potted plants are looking great Michael. Obvious the heat and sun are taking their toll on the others. You're right on the money with getting a late harvest out of these, just talk to AJ and he'll confirm that. I see you collecting peppers by the pound in September dude, by the pound!

Great looking plants, BS, especially considering the brutal heat you've been contending with. We've been up around 103ºF several times this year, but you've got us beat!

Don't you love how basil thrives in the heat?

Noticed one of my in ground plants looked like a twig. Looking close I found this:

2011-07-01_16-50-15_695.jpg

So I cut his head off and put it on a stick in front of the plant to warn others to stay away... muhahahahah

2011-07-01_16-51-08_15.jpg

Ok this may sound kooky but it works for me. What I do is slice them in half with a trowel and then find an ant hill. You put the disabled worm on the anthill and ask the ants to not farm aphids on your plants and in return you won't try to poison them and also you'll feed them with when you can.

Back when I had an ant problem I was putting ant dust everywhere and using poison sprays but they just kept coming. Since I tried the above method the ants don't cross the threshold on my door and my plants aren't loaded with aphids.

Nice.
Those caterpillars always chew through my tomatoes and basil.

I got the black furry caterpillars now as well eating all my winter veg (along with other bugs, slugs and snails)

Potted plants look great. Don't worry about them dropping flowers. As you pointed out, when they do set they will be larger and as a result hold more pods. Keep up the good work.

I am not sure what is going on with your raised beds. We have a very different climate and I do not use a watering system. Do you weed your beds?

I cannot stand hornworms. They can really decimate a plant in a matter of hours.

Back