• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

BeagleStorm vs 2011 - My Chile Grow Log

Ok first up is some photos of my over wintered plants. Scorpion, Naga Morich, Chocolate Bhut, and 2 x Harold St. Barts. More of an experiment... I have never tried to over winter plants before. Did not super prune the plants or the root balls. I just left them in their pots out in the semi-cold during early November and most of the leaves started falling off. Then I did a minimal prune to remove any remaining leaves and to clean them up a bit. Gave them a cup of water each and threw them in my parent’s garage. I gave them a second cup of water last weekend. They seem to be doing great. One plant had what seemed to be a few Aphids so I sprayed it with Organocide but they have been bug free for the last month. I want to keep them in pots, so I think I will need to transplant them into fresh soil and maybe bigger pots this spring. Just not sure how I am going to do it or what process I am going to use. I do know that I am going to keep them at my parents so they do not pass any nasty critters to my seedlings before spring comes. Any recommendations?

OverwinterA.jpg

OverwinterB.jpg

Finally getting some pods growing eh? Very cool Mike. With your extended season you have a couple of months at least of pod growing weather. I am so jealous!

I'm with Chris, that Not White Habalokia should make some wicked looking powder.

Things are definitely looking up. Hopefully we can see some pepper tests straight from your garden in the near future??

Kinda late in the thread, but where did you get your 3x3x5 pots? I would like to use them next year and cant seem to find them online. Thanks!

Matt

Beautiful Michael! nice pod shots. Nice to see all your work paying off after the slow start and those horn worm attacks. Dont know which one is my favorite. They all look great!

Thanks, Yan. This is a lot more fun then last year and I'm sure next year will be even better with all the things I learned from this year.

nice looking pods Beagle. hope they taste as good as they look.

Thanks, Buddy. I am finally getting ready to try a few more this week.

Nice Beaglestorm. That NOT White Habalokia may not have ripened true color, but I really like the light yellow color it does turn to. Very pretty. Really productive plant. I will surely grow again. It'll make a gorgeous powder. :)Chris

I loved the way this plant grew, it was very pretty and a fast grower.

Finally getting some pods growing eh? Very cool Mike. With your extended season you have a couple of months at least of pod growing weather. I am so jealous!I'm with Chris, that Not White Habalokia should make some wicked looking powder.

Thanks Patrick! Got some high winds two weeks ago, removed most of the leaves and lost a lot of pods. .. really bummed me out. Plants look silly, but are still producing now and I feel a bit better. First harvest was last week and today got a nice amount for one plant.

Things are definitely looking up. Hopefully we can see some pepper tests straight from your garden in the near future??Kinda late in the thread, but where did you get your 3x3x5 pots? I would like to use them next year and cant seem to find them online. Thanks!Matt

Thanks Matt, should test a bunch from my garden this week. Pots and trays I got A M Leonard online. I love them (they are very deep) only thing is they don't sell small quantities… only by the case. I was lucky to be able to split an order with AJ. Although if you’re an addict chile grower then will all get used eventually. LOL PM me if you want the specific model.

Beautiful pods! Those are some hard-earned beauties. What a great feeling it must be to pick those ripe hotties now. Congratulations.
icon_smile.gif

Now that is a plate full of lookin' good! Glad to see all of your hard work is paying off Michael.
Thanks Patrick. I'm only going to have 4 or 5 plants this year that produce like that, most will have only 4-5 pods, But I have had enough fun that I want to try again next year.

Martinique Habs are pretty. They look like something I'm growing that's supposed to be West Indian Red.
Thanks, Sean sent me some West Indian Red's. They are ribbed but look more symmetrical and perfect. With these, every pod is different.

Pretty plate of pods Mike. I'm looking forward to your next review. :)
Thanks, SS! I had been out of town but am back now and will start up with some reviews this weekend. I also have a few of Chris's chiles I tested and have not uploaded yet.

Beautiful pods! Those are some hard-earned beauties. What a great feeling it must be to pick those ripe hotties now. Congratulations.
Thanks CA, Yes these pretty much have given me the motivation to try again and do better next year.

Maybe I'm hungry for protein, or its the lighting. Those look like chicharrones!

LOL, I have not eaten chicharrones in probably 10 years, and literally this morning my co-worker brought in a big bowl of them for me. I had given him a big box of hatch chile so his wife made me the chicharrones as a thank you. They are soooo good but sooo bad for you.
2011-09-22_13-37-54_938.jpg

Peach Scorpalokia (AjiJoe)
2011-09-20_21-34-34_553.jpg

Pimenta Tiger AISPES
2011-09-20_21-24-43_832.jpg

Bahaman Goat Pepper (2nd Harvest)
2011-09-20_21-26-07_800.jpg

My lone Murupi pod
2011-09-20_19-34-17_908.jpg

Scotch Bonnet TFM (Chris style picture - I need a better flash)
2011-09-09_00-33-33_593.jpg

NOT White Habalokia
2011-09-05_12-33-40_46.jpg

Hey Mike a little while back I asked about the seedling pots you used. I found a site that sells them in any quantity. I dont know what you are planning for next year and if you need more, but may be something to look at. http://homeharvest.com/containergardenpotsplastic.htm

Matt

Looking good Beaglestorm. Nice harvest!!

Chris

Thanks Chris, Not a great year only got pods from about 20 of my 80 plants but much better than last year and the plants themselves look great. I only had 3 or 4 that acted like last year and just plain refused to grow. I have some tough over wintering decisions to make.

Mike,

I'm assuming you'll get fruit till late this year?
Yes, still in the high 80's here but at 4500 feet we are also getting in the mid 40's at night. Average first freeze is November 10, first hard freeze is Nov 24.

Lookin good Beagle, I like the look of those bonnets!
Luckily, all the plants that produced were on my "A" list. The Brown 7, Avenir and Papa Joes Market Scotch Bonnet were the only other ones I was really excited to grow that I did not get even 1 pod from.

Hey Mike a little while back I asked about the seedling pots you used. I found a site that sells them in any quantity. I dont know what you are planning for next year and if you need more, but may be something to look at. http://homeharvest.com/containergardenpotsplastic.htm

Matt
I don't remember If I had given you the link, but the pots I am using are these:
ITML Extra Deep Pots

I checked your link and could not find them. The reason I like these is that they are 3x3 but a full 5.5" deep. There are 700 pots to a case. They have plenty of room to grow until plant out in the spring. Avoids having to pot up several times which is golden for me. If I was retired I probably would enjoy potting up an extra time. They have free shipping at least once a year so that is when I buy them. Last year it was around Christmas time. I was able to split the order with AJ because he is relatively close and I could use a service called Lonestar in Texas. Shipping any farther would have been way too expensive.

Your P. Tigers look pretty good Michael. No stripes but at least they finished red. :)

Red shmed.... If they did not have stripes... I wanted wild banana peppers like yours or the White ones that Chris got. LOL

Alright, round three on the pots. Think I got it this time. http://www.growerssolution.com/page/GS/CTGY/roundgreenhousepots has them by the pot at .28 cents for the 3x3x5 and like 68 bucks for 400. Is this about what you were paying for the 600?

On another note, how were the scorpalokias? I got some crazy crosses from joe and am curious how they wound up.

Back