• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

BeagleStorm vs 2011 - My Chile Grow Log

Ok first up is some photos of my over wintered plants. Scorpion, Naga Morich, Chocolate Bhut, and 2 x Harold St. Barts. More of an experiment... I have never tried to over winter plants before. Did not super prune the plants or the root balls. I just left them in their pots out in the semi-cold during early November and most of the leaves started falling off. Then I did a minimal prune to remove any remaining leaves and to clean them up a bit. Gave them a cup of water each and threw them in my parent’s garage. I gave them a second cup of water last weekend. They seem to be doing great. One plant had what seemed to be a few Aphids so I sprayed it with Organocide but they have been bug free for the last month. I want to keep them in pots, so I think I will need to transplant them into fresh soil and maybe bigger pots this spring. Just not sure how I am going to do it or what process I am going to use. I do know that I am going to keep them at my parents so they do not pass any nasty critters to my seedlings before spring comes. Any recommendations?

OverwinterA.jpg

OverwinterB.jpg

Update 9 days after sowing:

2 - White Habalokia - AjiJoe
4 - Peach Habalokia - AjiJoe
6 - Chocolate Habalokia - Chris (100%)
3 - Jamaican Hot Chocolate - Tomato Growers
6 - Bahamas Goat Pepper - Chris (100%)
3 - Scotch Bonnet TFM – Semillas.de
1 - Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's Market - Chris
2 - Scotch Bonnet Chocolate - AjiJoe
3 - Habanero Martinique
3 - Cheiro Recife - Semillas.de
3 - Murupi Red - Chris
4 - Habanero CGN 2207 - Semillas.de
2 - CGN 21500 - semillas.de

6 - Scoprenaro Red – AjiJoe (100%)
6 - Scorpanero Chocolate - AjiJoe (100%)
4 - Scorpalokia Peach - AjiJoe
4 - TS Morouga Yellow AISPES
8 - TS Morouga - Judy
5 - TS Butch - Judy
7 - TS - Judy
4 - Morouga Red - Chris (100%)

4 - 7 Pot Primo - Chris (100%)
3 - 7 Pot Barrackpore - Chris
2 - 7 Pot Yellow Original Strain - Judy
2 - 7 Pot Savanna - Ed
5 - 7 Pot Orange - Peppermania
4 - 7 Pot Brown – Judy
2 – Douglah (ThaiChiliHead)
2 - Rocoto San Isidro – Semillas.de
3 - Rocoto Costa Rican Red – Semillas.de (100%)
5 - Pimenta Tiger AISPES (100%)
3 - Morouga Long - Peppermania

121/216 = 56% Germination after 9 days.

Still no Chocolate 7's (9 sowed), Brown AISPES Scorpions (10) or Avenir’s (6).

4 - TS Morouga Yellow AISPES
2011-01-24_17-51-54_665-1.jpg

2 - Douglah
2011-01-24_17-51-20_97.jpg

3 - 7 Pot Brown
2011-01-24_17-51-32_500.jpg

Another 27 popped over night. Including my TS Chocolate AISPES:

4 - White Habalokia - AjiJoe (66%)
4 - Peach Habalokia - AjiJoe (66%)
6 - Chocolate Habalokia - Chris (100%)
4 - Jamaican Hot Chocolate - Tomato Growers (66%)
6 - Bahamas Goat Pepper - Chris (100%)
4 - Scotch Bonnet TFM – Semillas.de (66%)
4 - Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's Market - Chris (100%)
3 - Scotch Bonnet Chocolate - AjiJoe (50%)
3 - Habanero Martinique (75%)
3 - Cheiro Recife - Semillas.de (75%)
3 - Murupi Red - Chris (75%)
4 - Habanero CGN 2207 - Semillas.de (100%)
4 - CGN 21500 - semillas.de (100%)
1 - CGN 21566 - semillas.de (50%)

6 - Scoprenaro Red – AjiJoe (100%)
6 - Scorpanero Chocolate - AjiJoe (100%)
4 - Scorpalokia Peach - AjiJoe (66%)
5 - TS Morouga Yellow AISPES (100%)
4 - Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate AISPES Var.1 (80%)
2 - Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate AISPES Var.2 (40%)
8 - TS Morouga - Judy (89%)
6 - TS Butch - Judy (66%)
7 - TS - Judy (78%)
4 - Morouga Red - Chris (100%)

4 - 7 Pot Primo - Chris (100%)
4 - 7 Pot Barrackpore - Chris (100%)
2 - 7 Pot Yellow Original Strain - Judy (66%)
2 - Pimenta Elisa (66%)
4 - 7 Pot Savanna - Ed (66%)
5 - 7 Pot Orange - Peppermania (83%)
6 - 7 Pot Brown – Judy (78%)
2 – Douglah - ThaiChiliHead (66%)
2 - Rocoto San Isidro – Semillas.de (66%)
3 - Rocoto Costa Rican Red – Semillas.de (100%)
5 - Pimenta Tiger AISPES (100%)
1 - Fatali Red EK - Chris (33%)
3 - Morouga Long - Peppermania (75%)

Still at 0% Germination:

6 - Avenir
9 - 7 Pot Chocolate
4 - 7 Pot Evergreen
8 - Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise

Overall Germination Rate - 148/216 = 69%

Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate AISPES Var.1 (Top) & Var.2 (Bottom and hard to see, but one on each end)
TSChocolateAISPESVar1andVar2.jpg

If you have 69% after ten days? Especially with chinense slow growing ones, that is awesome!! Your germination set up is working well, keep it up.

I could have SWORN I already posted this on here. Guess I was wrong.
Beagle....those shelves you have for your set up...you got at Lowe's, right? At the Lowe's here, they are normally $76. The more expensive black ones are around $92. Until Friday, our Lowe's has those on sale for $60. (The BLACK ones.) Just wanted to let ya know! I will be getting myself at least one of them this Friday!

I could have SWORN I already posted this on here. Guess I was wrong.
Beagle....those shelves you have for your set up...you got at Lowe's, right? At the Lowe's here, they are normally $76. The more expensive black ones are around $92. Until Friday, our Lowe's has those on sale for $60. (The BLACK ones.) Just wanted to let ya know! I will be getting myself at least one of them this Friday!

Are they 48x24? I will have to check it out. Thanks HP.

This one?
lowes black shelving

Don't forget to stop by the post office ask for a free movers packet. Has a 10% off coupon for lowes.

11 more over night ..... I finally got 1 avenir to germinate. Up to 159 now or 74%. If you eliminate the 3 species that are at 0% , we are at 82% after 10.25 days. Removed a bunch of stuck seed caps the last 3 days..took a bunch of pictures thinking of doing a little "How to remove a stuck cap FAQ"

Actually, I believe its this one...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_101933-1281-CR4824_4294857717+5003699_4294937087_?productId=1000527&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_50%2B100_4294857717%2B5003699_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_quantity_sold%7C1%26page%3D2&facetInfo=$50 - $100

Sorry for the crazy link.

Oh, and a little off-topic...you are familiar with the Rem. Model 700 5r, right? If so, they NORMALLY go for $1,000. Well, Gander Mountain has a rifle that looks JUST LIKE the 5r, for $650 new. Stainless barrel. It says "synthetic stock," but they refer to that whether its a stock "stock," or an HS Precision. FYI

Pretty good so far! Quite a few with 100%.
Thanks muskymojo... I also want to tank all the great members here who provided the quality seeds to me. I am in shock how high the germination rate was. I am going to have a boat load of extra plants I have no room for.

If you have 69% after ten days? Especially with chinense slow growing ones, that is awesome!! Your germination set up is working well, keep it up.
Thanks megamoo, Lets see if I can keep them alive for three more months! LOL

very nice beagle! can you figure out a way to get them to illinois?

Thanks, Buddy... I wish there was an easy way... I am going to have a bunch of extra plants now!

The Douglah's look nice and strong. Others have said that they had difficulty w/ them. Next year I'm going to try my hand at them :drooling:

Oh, and a little off-topic...you are familiar with the Rem. Model 700 5r, right? If so, they NORMALLY go for $1,000. Well, Gander Mountain has a rifle that looks JUST LIKE the 5r, for $650 new. Stainless barrel. It says "synthetic stock," but they refer to that whether its a stock "stock," or an HS Precision. FYI

Ahhh the good ole days... sadly until the kids are a little older (or I win the lottery) I am forcing myself (...at gunpoint LOL) not to go down that road. I have to be content with the ones I bought BM. (Before Marriage)

The Douglah's look nice and strong. Others have said that they had difficulty w/ them. Next year I'm going to try my hand at them :drooling:
I only got 2 of 6 (33%) of the Douglah's germinated. It was the lowest of any of my seeds except for Avenir (1 of 6). Everything else was 67% or better. I'm going to try again this weekend with a few more, and pre-soak them 24 hours.

Woah.. had not repiled in a while sorry y'all

Looking good Beagle. I would also suggest a fan on a timer.
Thanks Josh. I'm going to get something set up this weekend. I wanted to wait till all the seeds were done germinating

Nice to see other's are growing these it was Varg's pictures that sold me on them too, nice looking seedings to that or im nuking them with light but the weed seedling looks unaffected :D
Thanks Frylock.. Afetr looking again, I did not realize how small they were... but I am still excited to grow them.

I have the 6 bulb version of that light. I have been running it with 2 bulbs off about 10 to 12 inches up but my plants also are getting natural light too. I started out with all 6 bulbs and much closer but it seemed to be too much.
I'd try it at 8" to 12" to start. You'll know soon enough if it needs to be closer.
Very nice setup. How's the raised bed project going?
I'm at 15" with 7 bulbs (Don't ask how I broke the bulb... LOL) Raised bed is getting closer, need to find a source for some nice soil to fill them with. Will post some pictures of the progress.

I like the set up and nice varieties your growing. Your going to have a great season :cool:
Thanks Yann, Set up is working well other than looking kind of ugly. It is costing me a bunch of shoes to keep the wife happy. LOL I am just sad that none of my 7 Pot - Chocolate's germinated they were my favorites!

Nice to see more baby pepper pics! Looking good, mate.
Thanks Skydiver I will keep the pics coming, I appreciate the vote of confidence!

I typically run 24/7 for 4 - 6 weeks then switch to 18/6.
Thanks PGM ... Then that is what I am going to do as well.

Lookin good there Michael. I had my first 9 pop out last night and this morning. I wish I had more patients
Thanks LogChief, Yea I was like a kid in a candy store the first day they popped out of the trays. I am kind of sad now that all the popping is over now. I just sit and watch them grow now... very similar to watching paint dry. LOL

44% after 8 days is awesome! wait another week and I bet you get twice that! Great list BTW :cool:
Kevin

Thanks Wayright! Yea I think I am done now and the final germination rate (after removing the 4 species that gave me 0%- Bad seed?) is 88%.

Yeah, I dont have the money either. But, I dont really want to pass up that kind of deal. I am going out of town next weekend to where there is a Gander Mountain. I will see if they have one. And if so, it really IS a 5r. If it is, I dont know what I will do. I might buy a few, sell them for $1000 each, and can afford to buy one.

Ok so it has been a long time since I updated this thread. Work had been taking all my time up till last Friday. Now I am back to having some free time to enjoy my plants. I had also been pretty demoralized as my seedlings were not really doing anything compared to say the explosive growth shown in AJ’s photos. I thought I was going to loose most of my seedlings to my 1st time growing errors. Plants are 40 days from sowing so pictures below are about 30 days of growth above ground. Up until just a few days ago they looked the same as they did in my 16 day pictures. I thought I remembered reading several places that seedling did not need fertilizer till you potted up the first time. Well after day 30 and the plants just sitting there doing nothing, I said what the heck and started giving them a weak solution of seaweed and fish emulsion every watering. In the last 10 days they have really took off and I am back to being excited about this season. I did screw up and burn a few plants with a fan that I left on over night by accident and also burned a few with the 8 T5 bulbs being too close to the seedlings on a hot day while I was at work. (We got to 80 degrees last week)

I thought it was worse, but I did a count last night and I still have 127 seedlings that are looking pretty healthy out of 172 that germinated. My 5 Rocoto’s that germinated were a total loss as the heat killed them. Everything else, I have at least one or two that survived strong. Just like I read somewhere else here before, the center of my trays were the hardest hit. As you move out from the center where it was cooler and moister they did much better. As a new grower, I thought the center would do better than the edges. I also was trying not to over water but I think I went a bit overboard and my work schedule did not help when I was already putting off watering. In retrospect AJ’s recommendation of watering my plug tray’s every 2 days was probably spot on. I waited 3 and sometimes 4 days between watering and the lights and heat mat just dried them out faster than I realized.

Here is my tray of 7’s
2011-02-24_08-26-58_334.jpg

Here is my tray of Scorpion’s
2011-02-24_08-26-32_709.jpg

Here is my tray of Misc. Habanero’s & Scotch Bonnets
2011-02-24_08-26-45_50.jpg

Some experimental transplants:
2011-02-23_09-10-38_344.jpg

i dunno for sure but you may have "cooked'
the ones that do not look too good with the heating mat?

maybe light bulbs would burn in a bulb shaped pattern?

the survivors look pretty good :cool:

( i would move the heat mat to a { different } germinating
area and just chock up lost seedlings to "learning? )

i dunno for sure but you may have "cooked'
the ones that do not look too good with the heating mat?

maybe light bulbs would burn in a bulb shaped pattern?

the survivors look pretty good :cool:

( i would move the heat mat to a { different } germinating
area and just chock up lost seedlings to "learning? )

Thanks, I have turned the heat mat thermostat down to 78 degrees just to keep them from getting cold in the weee hours of the morning. On the bright side, the seedlings that managed to survive are going to be tough SOB's.

Hi Michael. Were the lids on the containers when the seedlings were parched?
Hi SS, No, I stopped using the covers after the first seeds germinated as they are opaque and no light would reach them if they were on. I also was paranoid about damping off so I wanted them to get lots of fresh air. So I learned the hard way how to judge the moisture in my plug trays.... now I need to learn how to judge the moisture in the 3x5.5 pots I am transplanting everything into .. LOL I am amazed how fast these things are growing now. A few seedlings that I transplanted into the big pots on Sunday already seem to have doubled in size. Going to transplant the rest this weekend. It is hard to have some plants sitting 5 inches higher than the rest. I only have one light for everything. Also I am glad nature chose for me as I only have room for 128 plants in the 3x5.5 pots under my lights. If the all had survived I would have had a hard time selecting who lives and who dies.

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. Keep at it. It will pay off come Fall.
Thanks Josh, yea everybody's kind words here always manage to cheer me up and keep me pumped to not give up. Big learning curve but with 127 plants left I am confident I sould be able to keep a few alive. Even if I end up with 20-30 good plants this fall I will be happy.

Back