• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

BeagleStorm vs 2011 - My Chile Grow Log

Ok first up is some photos of my over wintered plants. Scorpion, Naga Morich, Chocolate Bhut, and 2 x Harold St. Barts. More of an experiment... I have never tried to over winter plants before. Did not super prune the plants or the root balls. I just left them in their pots out in the semi-cold during early November and most of the leaves started falling off. Then I did a minimal prune to remove any remaining leaves and to clean them up a bit. Gave them a cup of water each and threw them in my parent’s garage. I gave them a second cup of water last weekend. They seem to be doing great. One plant had what seemed to be a few Aphids so I sprayed it with Organocide but they have been bug free for the last month. I want to keep them in pots, so I think I will need to transplant them into fresh soil and maybe bigger pots this spring. Just not sure how I am going to do it or what process I am going to use. I do know that I am going to keep them at my parents so they do not pass any nasty critters to my seedlings before spring comes. Any recommendations?

OverwinterA.jpg

OverwinterB.jpg

I am growing the CGN 21500 this season as well. By any chance did you do a test video on this variety?
I will be interested to see pics of these later
Josh,

Finally found a working link to the great photos of the CGN 21500. Shows how cool these pods can look.

CGN 21500 Photos
Nice. Those look similar to another pic I've seen but they look plumper/fuller. I'm new to pepper growing/descriptors, what does the "CGN" stand for?

Looking like a man who's very serious about his pepper growing.

Have you talked any of your pepper testing friends into growing a few?

I wish you the best of luck.

Had a series of emergencies yesterday and could not check my babies.... Never fails... Looked at them this morning and had the following surprises

1 - Peach Habalokia
3 - TS Morouga
2 - Pimenta Tiger AISPES
1 - TS Morouga Yellow AISPES
1 - 7 Pot Orange
1 - Scorpanero Chocolate
1 - Bahamas Goat Pepper

Looks like the Pimenta Tiger AISPES seeds are fast growers. They were first out and already 1/2 inch big.Tthe rest are just starting to pop out.
Here is a picture of the tigers:

2011-01-21_11-31-25_154.jpg

Here is a picture of the light I was scrambling to get installed this morning.

2011-01-21_11-33-15_213.jpg

Can anyone recommend a good distance for this 4' 8 Tube T5 light to be from the seedlings? I know some people keep this just an inch or two above, but that is usually with shop lights. With 40,000 lumens what is a proper distance. Right now light is at 8". I could also turn off 4 of the bulbs and go closer?

Can anyone recommend a good distance for this 4' 8 Tube T5 light to be from the seedlings? I know some people keep this just an inch or two above, but that is usually with shop lights. With 40,000 lumens what is a proper distance. Right now light is at 8". I could also turn off 4 of the bulbs and go closer?

I have the 6 bulb version of that light. I have been running it with 2 bulbs off about 10 to 12 inches up but my plants also are getting natural light too. I started out with all 6 bulbs and much closer but it seemed to be too much.
I'd try it at 8" to 12" to start. You'll know soon enough if it needs to be closer.

Very nice setup. How's the raised bed project going?

Almost had a disaster. Set up the light this morning in a hurry and it seemed like the temps had stabilized. Left for work and closed the door of the room to keep the kids out. Came home a few hours later and the room was like a sauna. About 96 degrees.... luckily I had just watered this morning as well so they seem to have handled it like champs. I have to run my light with only 4 bulbs, 8 gets way to hot. Need to redesign this weekend to keep the 8 bulbs cool enough to use. Morouga Long and Morouga Red popped today. Seems like anything with Morouga genes is germinating like it’s 1999.

2 - Peach Habalokia - AjiJoe
5 - TS Morouga - Judy
3 - Pimenta Tiger AISPES
1 - 7 Pot Orange - Peppermania
2 - Scorpanero Chocolate - AjiJoe
1 - Bahamas Goat Pepper - Chris
1 - Morouga Long - Peppermania
1 - Morouga Red - Chris

Update for this morning - 6 days after sowing

3 - Peach Habalokia - AjiJoe
1 - Chocolate Habalokia - Chris
2 - Bahamas Goat Pepper - Chris
2 - Habanero CGN 2207 - Semillas.de

2 - Scorpanero Chocolate - AjiJoe
1 - Scorpalokia Peach - AjiJoe
7 - TS Morouga - Judy
1 - TS Butch - Judy
1 - TS - Judy
1 - Morouga Red - Chris

1 - 7 Pot Barrackpore - Chris
4 - 7 Pot Orange - Peppermania
4 - Pimenta Tiger AISPES
1 - Morouga Long - Peppermania

I reordered the list to match my trays

Exactly 7 days after sowing:

4 - Peach Habalokia - AjiJoe
1 - Chocolate Habalokia - Chris
3 - Bahamas Goat Pepper - Chris
2 - Cheiro Recife - Semillas.de
1 - Murupi Red - Chris
3 - Habanero CGN 2207 - Semillas.de

1 - Scoprenaro Red
6 - Scorpanero Chocolate - AjiJoe
4 - Scorpalokia Peach - AjiJoe
2 - TS Morouga Yellow AISPES
7 - TS Morouga - Judy
1 - TS Butch - Judy
4 - TS - Judy
1 - TS Sunrise - Jacob
3 - Morouga Red - Chris

2 - 7 Pot Barrackpore - Chris
1 - 7 Pot Yellow Original Strain - Judy
4 - 7 Pot Orange - Peppermania
2 - 7 Pot Brown - Judy
4 - Pimenta Tiger AISPES
2 - Morouga Long - Peppermania

58/216 = 27% Germination after 7 days. I am pretty happy so far. Temps have still been very unstable 82 - 88. Every time the heater in the house kicks on, it spikes... and if the heating pad happens to also be on, it really goes through the roof. I am surprised Scorpions and 7's are popping quicker than my Scotch Bonnets and Habaneros. Now that they are uncovered I am starting to worry about how much to water them. Tops seem to dry out fast but I know it is moist down below. Just have to have faith. Oh another question I am running the light 24/7 right now. I have read several places where 24/7 for the first 6 weeks is ok. What do you all think. When should I switch to 18/6 or some other on/off schedule? Thanks

Update 8 days after sowing:

4 - Peach Habalokia - AjiJoe
4 - Chocolate Habalokia - Chris
1 - Jamaican Hot Chocolate - Tomato Growers
4 - Bahamas Goat Pepper - Chris
1 - Scotch Bonnet Chocolate - AjiJoe
3 - Habanero Martinique - Semillas.de
2 - Cheiro Recife - Semillas.de
3 - Murupi Red - Chris
3 - Habanero CGN 2207 - Semillas.de
1 - CGN 21500 - Semillas.de

1 - Scoprenaro Red - AjiJoe
6 - Scorpanero Chocolate - AjiJoe (100%)
4 - Scorpalokia Peach - AjiJoe
4 - TS Morouga Yellow AISPES
7 - TS Morouga - Judy
2 - TS Butch - Judy
5 - TS - Judy
1 - TS Sunrise - Jacob
4 - Morouga Red - Chris (100%)

3 - 7 Pot Primo - Chris
2 - 7 Pot Barrackpore - Chris
2 - 7 Pot Yellow Original Strain - Judy
2 - 7 Pot Savanna - Ed
5 - 7 Pot Orange - Peppermania
4 - 7 Pot Brown - Judy
1 - Rocoto San Isidro - Semillas.de
2 - Rocoto Costa Rican Red - Semillas.de
5 - Pimenta Tiger AISPES (100%)
3 - Morouga Long - Peppermania

94/216 = 44% Germination after 8 days. I have quite a few where the seed is stuck to the seedling but I will let mother nature decide if they make it into the garden.

Still no Chocolate 7's, Douglah's, Brown AISPES Scorpions, Avenir, or Scotch Bonnet TFM's. If I can get even 1 of each of those, I will be totally happy with my 1st attempt at starting seed.

My tray of 7's, One Douglah popped overnight (5th from right). If you look close you can see the empty rows (6th from right) Chocolate 7

2011-01-24_06-08-15_273.jpg

My tray of Scorpion's, Empty rows are(3rd, 7th, 8th from right) Sunrise Scorpion, Chocolate Scorpion AISPES, Chocolate Scorpion AISPES v2. I thought I had a Sunrise germinate, but it was something in the mix that looked like a seed and was not.

2011-01-24_06-08-49_661.jpg

My P. tigers were the first up too Michael. Did you happen to notice on the package of the P. tigers it said the seeds were not isolated?

The only other AISPES seeds that have germinated are two of the yellow scorpion morouga and a single yellow scorpion. Nothing on the Chocolate Scorpions.

Back