• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking BEER CAN CHICKEN SCIENCE

I've done quit a few beer can chickens and the first few where juicy, but the small amount of powdered spices added didn't really flavor the chicken much. However I decreased the amount of beer in the can to half a can (well I just drank half once because I noticed after the chicken was done I still had half a can of beer left that went to waste) and it helped quit a bit. I also added different spices that where stronger and seemed to work better. I recall doing a rosemary 5 spice with half of beer in the can and I really stuffed the can with a lot of fresh rosemary and used a few lime halfs instead of lemon that I just pulled off the plant on my patio and wow you could really taste the rosemary and lime. Instead of putting the space in the can I just rubbed it over the skin with a few other spices. The balance was perfect. I wouldn't bother putting any spices in the can with the beer, but stong things like rosemary, lime, habanero's almost always go in for a swim with the beer.

LGHT you're right about the rosemary. I had that in the beer can and on the chicken. All you could smell in the neighborhood was the chicken on the grill! I wanted to drink the leftover beer. It smelled so good with all the drippings in it. My wife wouldn't let me. She was most likely right about that.
beercan.jpg

We Just experimented with this for the first time this weekend. Used apple juice poured in an empty pop can, about half full. Shook dry rub on inside of chicken as well as on the outside, sat it on the can and let it cook. It was a delicious bird, we will definitely make this again, modifying as we go.

scarpetti said:
LGHT you're right about the rosemary. I had that in the beer can and on the chicken. All you could smell in the neighborhood was the chicken on the grill! I wanted to drink the leftover beer. It smelled so good with all the drippings in it. My wife wouldn't let me. She was most likely right about that.

Wow is that a chicken or a small turkey? That thing is plump! I guess they don't make em like that here in cali! Mine usually come out on the thinner side, but still good! I have a friend that lives across the street and every time I fire up the smoker if the wind is just right he says he can smell it and usually give me about 4-5 hours before he's knocking on the door with the beer!!

pepperfever said:
We Just experimented with this for the first time this weekend. Used apple juice poured in an empty pop can, about half full. Shook dry rub on inside of chicken as well as on the outside, sat it on the can and let it cook. It was a delicious bird, we will definitely make this again, modifying as we go.

I used the pop can as well. Did you get flavor from the juice?

The first time I did beer can I used a light beer and it gave me almost no flavor then I used a dark heavy beer like Guinness and it was a little bitter and tart. The best flavor I got was from a bottle of St. Bernardus ale that gave it a slightly sweet aroma and taste.

*shudder*

I will NEVER.....EVER....put anything better than miller lite in the chicken!!!

I may marinate in a ST Bernardus, but none in the can!;)

LGHT said:
Wow is that a chicken or a small turkey? That thing is plump! I guess they don't make em like that here in cali! Mine usually come out on the thinner side, but still good! I have a friend that lives across the street and every time I fire up the smoker if the wind is just right he says he can smell it and usually give me about 4-5 hours before he's knocking on the door with the beer!!

Do you mean Cali as in California? If so, what part do you live where you can't find whole chickens? I'm in the fricken city of Oakland and can probably hop a fence and steal a live one from the neighbor who's roosters wake me up a 3 am every morning. Do you have a Mi Pueblos where you live?

That one on my 24" weber was 4.5 lb. on indirect heating. The chicken was rubbed under the skin and on top of the skin. More so under he skin. Use less coals than you think you need to use. Close the bottom vents 1/2 way and leave the top one open. Then just leave it alone. Check it every 30 minutes if you think you need to add coal, just add 3 or 4 on either side. Put them away from the bird. Closer to the walls of the grill and then keep the fricken lid on. The go in the house and polish of the 5 pack(since you used one for the stupid chicken) and relax for about 30 minutes!

My biggest problem was getting it to balance. Next time I'm gonna try to use Sapporo because the have really strong cans!

Alrighty then, that's enough of my Friday night rant.........

scarpetti said:
Do you mean Cali as in California? If so, what part do you live where you can't find whole chickens?

I'm in so cal in Newport Beach. Whole isn't the problem it's finding them big!

scarpetti said:
My biggest problem was getting it to balance. Next time I'm gonna try to use Sapporo because the have really strong cans!

Just get a beer can holder. They are about $5.00 at a BBQ store and come in different sizes with a large ring on the bottom to hold the bird upright.

LGHT said:
The first time I did beer can I used a light beer and it gave me almost no flavor then I used a dark heavy beer like Guinness and it was a little bitter and tart. The best flavor I got was from a bottle of St. Bernardus ale that gave it a slightly sweet aroma and taste.

St Bernardus? :shocked: Wow I could never do that. I mean, :shocked:
:walks away shaking head and muttering to self:

Ok I have composed myself. I have been making bee can chicken ever since I first heard of it about ten years ago. It is a truly awesome thing. The beer definitely adds something. I have done it with and without rub inside the can and honestly cannot tell the difference. I think if you put rub inside the bird then you get the flavor and don't need any rub in the can. The purpose of the beer is to keep the meat moist and to help steam it from the inside out, while the outside is cooking to a wonderful crisp. Now I will have to make beer can chicken this weekend.

cheezydemon said:
I am all about injecting with beer, I will just never put it in the can and up a dead chicken's butt!

Call me CRAZY.
I call you cheezy. I to refuse to do the can thing, too many chemicals that I'm afrid will leach out during cooking.

I've done the beer can thing, but I usually avoid the can now and use a good "chicken throne" made for this purpose. The can is always cool to show someone the technique for the first time but the thrones make it easier and possibly safer.

I don't actually use a "can" they make stands that hold liquid now since it's so popular and they are made out of stainless still so go get one and do a chicken you won't regret it.

This is going to be my new Sacred Heart Of Beer Can Chicken tattoo.

IMG_9643.jpg

And I need to buy a chicken throne. I spilled the beer and drippings all over me this evening when I pulled out too soon!

I have been messing with doing beer can chickens, in various ways including with spices in the can and without. And also using different liquids for the can. My conclusion on spices in the can is that it is pointsless to put it in there as there is no type of abosorbtion into the bird from these spices. Amd using beer gave it a little bit of something, but water did nothing but help it stay moist.

I decided, in my opinion, that a rub and injected spices with beer is the best method with half a can of water to keep it moist. And an onion to keep it sealed on the top and for a little flavor.

001-1.jpg

Back