• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Bayou Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a list of the ingredients I am using:

Shrimp
Andouille sausage
Rice
Red tomato
Chipotle Cheese
Shrimp & Crab Boil spice
Home-made Creole Mustard (Grey Poupon & Tony Chachere's Original Creole seasoning
Butter
Mayo
Habanero Heat Salt
Cayenne pepper - very hot ground
Orange Habanero peppers
My #5.3 Habanero Hot Sauce
Garlic
White onion
Fresh lime
Hoaggie rolls

Looking good :hell:

Sorry Guys, I got called out to work today at the hospital, and I have plans tonight.... So hopefully I can brew something up tomorrow, tomorrow is a busy day too..! Gosh, you guys have some good-looking stuff going on there.. Hope I can join!

And now... some teaser shots!

The full spread
DSC00001.jpg

Andouille saussage
DSC00002.jpg

Some shrimp and habs
DSC00003.jpg

Chipotle cheese
DSC00004.jpg

Habanero Heat Salt
DSC00005.jpg

Man, this salt is addictive!

Going to go cook now! :hell:

DD, do you have two of the additional ingredients?

What a kick in the ass...I took pics, including a "funny one" for my official post...and now my camera software will not pull up at all. Of course...it erased the pics off the camera.

Oh well...maybe later on tonight when I go back for a snack, I can take pics with my phone or something... <sigh>

Thangs are lookin' awesome in here!!!

Dinner was a complete success......turned out just the way I had expected.....

I may be back later with some pics, but I'll have to upload and edit down to my favorite ones. ;)

After a couple of hours as a PC Software Technician...I got my stuff to work.

Here it is...LunchBox's "Big-Three Jambalaya"...a Texiana mix of Cajun staples, Tex-Mex flare, and OCD...which has 3 letters..."O" is the 15th letter (divisible by 3), "C" is the 3rd letter (obviously divisible by 3), and "D" which is the 4th letter, but the word "disorder" has 8 letters in it...so 4+8 = 12...which is divisible by...3; 12/3 = 4, which is the letter "D", so it all comes back around and we're all good.

Oh...uhhmmm...alright then. I promise I'm relatively normal.

Here is is...done. In the last hour, I added long grain rice, simmer for about 20 minutes, then remove the pot from heat. Easy enough, but you gotta stir it every5-10 minutes so the rice cooks, and doesn't stick.

I also whipped up some "Cajun-Crackers"...thin sliced potatoes lightly fried in a mix of peanut oil/butter, seasoned with a mix of Tony's and Blackened seasoning...with the requisite onions, and for our dining pleasure...I got a fully ripe, red serrano. Scoop a little Big-Three into the "Tater-Cracker", and go to heaven for a bit.

dectdplating1.jpg

dectdplating2.jpg

dectdplating3.jpg

...and a little something special to those of you rolling your eyes at us Texans...we can "feel" it...

I was almost done eatin'...and had to toss this in...

dectdplating4.jpg

Ingredients in compliance with THP Code 12-TD-BB' sections 1-4:
Bayou Battle...

Pick at least one main ingredient:
1. Catfish
2. Gator (or croc, for Aussies)

3. Shellfish (crawfish, shrimp, blue crab, or oysters only)
4. Pork (andouille, tasso, or chaurice only)
5. Poultry (chicken, turkey, or duck only)

(You must limit the protein ingredients to the above and not add additional meat, fish, etc.)

Pick at least two additional ingredients:
1. Okra
2. Corn

3. Rice
4. Tomatoes
5. Pecans <does Pecan-wood smoke count? I mean, technically, molecules from the Pecan species entered the food>

(You may also add whatever else you want as long as you pick two, and do not add additional meat, fish, etc. except what is listed in section 1.)

Pick at least one Cajun/Creole staple:
1. Roux
2. Trinity (green bell peppers, onion, celery)
3. Crab/Shrimp/Crawfish boil (spices)
4. Creole Mustard <well...it probably ended up that way>
5. Filé Powder

Pick at least one cooking method:
1. Grill/Smoke
2. Fry (deep or sauté)
3. Étouffée
4. Boil
5. Stew

Mandatory ingredients:
Cayenne pepper, and one hotter pepper (in any form). Chile List: Jalapeno, Serrano, Cayenne, ***Scotch Bonnet (home dried and ground)*** <the "hotter pepper">

LB, explain what all that is in your final post. You've got a lot going on there you only mention in your teaser!

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring for the 1st time. Haven't been to the store yet as I had a meeting from 8:00 - 3:00 (ridiculous), then went to a funeral, then shoveled the 4 inches of snow from my driveway. Anyway, enough griping. I'll post some teaser pictures in the morning after the grocery store, but I'm going to make fried shrimp/andoulille/rice enchaladas topped with creole sauce and a corn/pepper salad as a side dish.

Here are the ingredients as best I can tell:
Corn, Red Bell Pepper, Red Onion, White Onion, Cilantro, Garlic, Lime, Shrimp, Andoulille, Rice, Tomatoes, Green Bell Pepper, Celery, Cayenne, Corn Tortillas, and Cappy's Brain Strain Hot Sauce.

Sounds like fun.

Made it to the grocery store. Here's the beginnings of my louisiana enchaladas:

P1020198.jpg

Thanks LB for posting it like that. Maybe others will too.

Looking great guys, just got back from the market so I'm ready to roll, bit early for dinner yet but its coming.

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring for the 1st time. Haven't been to the store yet as I had a meeting from 8:00 - 3:00 (ridiculous), then went to a funeral, then shoveled the 4 inches of snow from my driveway. Anyway, enough griping. I'll post some teaser pictures in the morning after the grocery store, but I'm going to make fried shrimp/andoulille/rice enchaladas topped with creole sauce and a corn/pepper salad as a side dish.

Here are the ingredients as best I can tell:
Corn, Red Bell Pepper, Red Onion, White Onion, Cilantro, Garlic, Lime, Shrimp, Andoulille, Rice, Tomatoes, Green Bell Pepper, Celery, Cayenne, Corn Tortillas, and Cappy's Brain Strain Hot Sauce.

Sounds like fun.

To hell with my crap...I wanna eat at your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back