• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Sausage Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boudin Doux Ways

4 lbs of pork
1 lb livers
3 cups rice
bunch of celery chopped
2 lg. onions chopped
1 globe of garlic
2 tbl. cayenne
1 tbl. white pepper
1 tbl. garlic powder
1 tbl. onion powder
2 tbl. salt
3 goat weed chilies chopped
6 cups of water
4 tbl. bacon grease
hand full of fresh thyme
3 bay leaves off my bay leaf trees.

Cook the celery, then onion and then garlic in the bacon grease.

Add the chopped pork and the livers and saute' for a while

Add bay leaves, chopped thyme, white pepper and bay leaves with the stock.

drain stock and use to make rice. Add 1/2 cayenne and 1/2 the salt.

grind what's left in the pot after draining stock

Add rice and mix thoroughly

Stuff the casings. I used a kitchenaid with sausage grinder and stuffer attachements.

You'll have to wait to tomorrow to see the final pics. :)
Boudin Doux Ways
Boudin or more properly what people call boudin is really boudin blanc, and this is the Cajun version of it (as opposed to the old Creole way which used bread and cream instead of rice).
People in South Louisiana generally like it one of two ways, boiled in water or baked/grilled. So as to not leave anyone out I give you both.  Enjoy! Lassez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

texas blues said:
Why is there celery in a pic about sausage?

The answer is ephemeral. 

Just when you think "aha!"

It plumb evades you.

Tricky.

Like Nixon.

download (2).jpg

Post #1

Smoked NY-Style White Sausage (sausage prep final)

So I decided to make white sausage using what I assume was salted natural pork casing for this TD. Using a combination of pork fat, beef, and chicken, I proceeded to make what would later become my sausages for smoking. Cherry wood was used in this instance. After the sausages had spent some time on the grill, they were de-cased and rolled in melted butter. Bread crumbs were added, and then the sausages were browned in the skillet. After this, the sausages were combined with other ingredients to make a sausage, wild rice, and broccoli casserole ect.
 ​
Ingredient List

Heavy Cream
White bread
Nutmeg
Coriander
Salt
White pepper
Chives
Parsley
Chicken
Beef
Pork
Pork fat
Onion
Cayenne pepper
Egg
Egg whites
Butter
Bread crumbs
Salted natural pork casings
String

To prepare sausages:

1.       Prepare meats separately and cut them into small pieces.
2.       Using a hand grinder, grind out all meats and fat into separate piles. About a hand full each or so.
3.       Heat one cup heavy cream in a small pan. Crumble up about one half cup of white bread and add to bowl with heavy cream. Stir and let sit for about 5 minutes.
4.       Stir in a small amount of nutmeg, coriander, salt, cayenne pepper, and white pepper. Chop up a small bit of parsley and chives. Add these to the bowl.
5.       Add small amounts of the meat you ground earlier to a blender. Do this a better way if you don’t want to burn out your blender motor. I think I might have.
6.       Add about a third of the bread mixture to the blender at a time.
7.       Remove mixture from blender and add to bowl. Then add one whole egg and two egg whites and mix well.
8.       At this point you are ready to stuff casings, so run some warm water through the casing to get rid of the salt. Stuff as you desire and tie ends with string. Check for holes.
9.       Refrigerate sausages for a few hours until ready to smoke them. Poke pin holes in sausages for air release.
10.   With a heat controlled grill, smoke sausages with cherry wood for about two hours.
11.   When done, remove from grill.
12.   Using a sharp knife carefully cut off the sausage casing.
13.   Melt some butter and roll de-cased sausage in them. Roll sausages in bread crumbs, and then brown the sausages in a skillet on medium heat.
14.   Set sausages aside until ready.

South Carolina flavor inspired sausages

P8092639_zpskiaf5bep.jpg

Rough cubed with the the dry rub.

1 Tbs Brown sugar
1 Tbs Paprika
2 tsp fine ground sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp cayenne powder

P8092646_zpstxm2ib8b.jpg

First grind

P8092647_zpsihsmqrw9.jpg

Mixed with
4 cups apple juice
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/8 c dried fine diced apple

mix liquids, heat and reduce by a third, add dry apple cool to 4 C then mix until sticky then re grind through the coarse plate

Vertical stuffer with final mix

P8092649_zpsbeec9r0l.jpg

Stuffed into 32 mm natural hog casings and tied off into short fat links

P8092651_zpshntmucmj.jpg

No time to smoke these, so cooked in boiling water with oil until the water evaporates and the sausage fries in the remaining oils (best way, try it!)  Sugars caramelise and give some bark

P8092654_zpstczspd1k.jpg

The guts
Camera went low res.  Probs because it's dark and it chose a higher ISO like 800 or more

P8092659_zpsjmokdwq8.jpg

This is bound for the smoker for 10 hours over hickory and apple.  Won't make the TD though.

Final meal will be slaw, smoked sausage on a crusty bun with bourbon butter sauce

P8092660_zps3n2udd4j.jpg

Post #2

Smoked NY-Style White Sausage, Wild Rice, and Broccoli Casserole (Final dish)

So I decided to make white sausage using what I assume was salted natural pork casing for this TD. Using a combination of pork fat, beef, and chicken, I proceeded to make what would later become my sausages for smoking. Cherry wood was used in this instance. After the sausages had spent some time on the grill, they were de-cased and rolled in melted butter. Bread crumbs were added, and then the sausages were browned in the skillet. After this, the sausages were combined with other ingredients to make a sausage, wild rice, and broccoli casserole ect.
 ​
Ingredient List

Heavy Cream
Wild rice grains
Fresh broccoli
Onion
Baby bella mushrooms
Chicken stock
Oregano
Salt
Pepper
White flour
Butter
Grated cheddar cheese

0.       Pre-heat oven to 350 degree F.
1.       Boil 2 cups rice grains in appropriate amount of water for 45 minutes.
2.       Brown ½ cup onions and baby bella mushrooms in a skillet for about six minutes.
3.       In a bowl, add one cup chicken stock, a teaspoon of oregano, and a bit of salt and pepper.  Set aside for a while because you forgot to make the roux.
4.       Make the roux using two tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons flour. For time and cooking reasons, cook roux for 30 minutes.
5.       Once roux is ready, pour chicken stock mixture into same pan. Add 1/3 cup heavy cream and cook for about 1 minute on low heat.
6.       Add broccoli, rice, sausage pieces, onions/mushrooms to a casserole dish. Toss all ingredients well to combine.
7.       Top casserole with grated cheddar cheese.
8.       Cook at 350F for 40 minutes. Serve.

Great entries!  DTS I am officially stealing that recipe.

And finished in bourbon butter, dear lord yes! 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back