• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Seafood Sandwich Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cuban bread, topped with traditional yellow mustard, pickles, and serrano ham (but this is the GOOD stuff, just look at it!!!). I threw in pickled jalapenos and Gouda cheese instead of swiss. The Cuban community, as I've seen, LOVES gouda cheese. They put the whole big ass wheel of gouda on the slicer, and people line up to get a pound or two. I hopped in line not even knowing what to expect...boy am I glad I did!!!

Here's the fish, ready for the sandwich. Cooked on high heat in some olive oil. Blackened-ish.

Stay tuned.

I think I just ate the best thing I've ever cooked.
Not kidding.
I've never seen this on a menu before, I've never had it, but it needs to be shared with the world.
Fucking amazing!
Uploading...(but pics wont do it justice)

At this point I knew it was going to be good!

Frydad's Mahi Cuban

Everyone's had a Cuban sandwich...but few have had a REAL Cuban sandwich...roast mojo pork, delicious ham, fresh bread...and the pickles!!!!
I took a spin on that and replaced the pork with Mahi.
Mahi is a mild fish that takes to flavors well, so I used similar citrus notes, orange juice, lime, garlic, serrano, and sea salt to marinate the fish before cooking.
The fish was fried in olive oil on a black skillet.

I bought a loaf of warm Cuban bread from a local grocer. At the same place, I bought beautiful sweet serrano ham and gouda cheese.
The bread was topped with yellow mustard, pickled jalapenos, sliced pickles, gouda, and ham. Thrown in the sandwich bot till crunchy.

When that was done, I opened up the sandwich and added the cooked mahi.

This was incredible. Please make it.

9700954087_5a6151e61b_b.jpg

9704188512_246fdb7260_b.jpg

BOOSH!!!!!!!!!

looks great! fish. yum.

hopefully something shows up tomorrow for me. otherwise i'll probably be heading to the market. :D

looks good would love to be eating fresh mahi again nice job!

on that note i will be off to a lake, if i can find one here with my son to try to catch a fresh water fish. hope i have enough gas to find a lake!

Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to bow out of this one. Got too much going on this weekend. Won't have any time to join in. :tear:
Good luck, everyone, and have fun! Can't wait to see all of the entries!

Going super simple with this, been eaten too much deep fried seafood later, so the Po Boy is off the cards

DSCF1360.JPG

Started with some really Fresh baked Bread, made by me...... haha (Local Subway were generous enough to give the mrs 2 rolls), Baked Daily. Not enough time this weekend, other agendas

Made up a little Salsa, i suppose, maybe, don't know what you would call it

DSCF1366.JPG

Mix up my Spicy bread spread

DSCF1367.JPG

Little sweet and savoury dressing/sauce

DSCF1368.JPG

Smoked up some fish

DSCF1373.JPG

Lay down some spread

DSCF1375.JPG

Topped with salsa

DSCF1376.JPG

On goes the fish and sauce

DSCF1378.JPG

Till tomoz.......FINAL PLATING

I hate you all

just woke up from a drunken stupor last night, and now I want a fish sammich

unfortunately, I have to go catch my TD

I had dreams about catching it last night too, so just you wait

Just picked up a half dozen lobster's off the dock this morning.... About to grab a couple homebrews,my $.80 and surf rod and walk down to the beach and see if we can get a lineside to play... more to come if the fish cooperate.  :cheers:

SweatSauwce said:
Blackened Lionfish on an onion bagel bun topped with sauted onions, peppers, fresh tomato, and homade pineapple scotch bonnet jelly.

Man I have two of those in my saltwater tank....lol never thought about eating one.  :beer:

Tomorrow night is surf-n-turf night in the DFAC.....

My gears are turning!

Lord, please let me have the time to play! (you just never know around here!)

SweatSauwce said:
is a bagel not bread?

The bread part is not the issue. There is a link in the first post in bold that says READ: The 5 Rules for an eligible entry

You must conform to these rules for it to be eligible. Thanks

FreeportBum said:
Man I have two of those in my saltwater tank....lol never thought about eating one.  :beer:

So, you're in? :lol:

paulky_2000 said:
Tomorrow night is surf-n-turf night in the DFAC.....

My gears are turning!

Lord, please let me have the time to play! (you just never know around here!)

Oh man, if you can enter that would be so awesome!

I'm out, didn't catch anything except a buzz. Looks like it's lobster stew and steaks on the grill tonight. Best of luck everyone.   :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back