• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Super Bowl Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
tctenten said:
Gonna let this baby rest for a bit, then it is sammie time.

attachicon.gif
IMG_7130.JPG

Nice bark!

A Taste of New York Jets

In 1888, a small deli by the name of Iceland Brothers was established on Ludlow Street in New York’s Lower East Side by the Iceland brothers. Upon the arrival of Willy Katz in 1903, the name of the store was officially changed to "Iceland & Katz". Willy’s cousin Benny joined him in 1910, buying out the Iceland brothers to officially form Katz’s Delicatessen. Their landsman Harry Tarowsky bought into the partnership in April 1917. Katz’s Deli was moved across the street, to its present location, during the construction of the subway system. The vacant lot on Houston Street (pronounced "House-ton" after a Dutch emigrant of the same name) was home to barrels of meat and pickles until the present storefront facade was added between 1946-49.

Each week thousands of visitors from around the world flock to Katz's to dine in this legendary deli, and to feast on the most delectable sandwiches, platters and meats. But it's really New Yorkers have made Katz's Delicatessen what it is, making Katz's an inherent part of the city's culture and history. They enthusiastically spread the word, brought their friends in, wrote books, shot films, and kept coming back for a pastrami on rye.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-14/12-rules-for-not-getting-in-trouble-at-katz-s-deli-nyc

Great read if you are interested…some of you may get butt-hurt…but too bad this is NY.

Rye Bread

8 oz.  unbleached bread flour
 4 oz.  light rye flour
1-1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. instant (quick-rise) yeast
1 tsp. whole caraway seeds
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. room temperature water (70°F to 75°F)
1-1/2 Tbs. vegetable oil; more as needed
1 Tbs. Agave nectar

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the flours, salt, yeast, caraway seeds (if using), water, oil, and agave nectar on low speed until combined, about 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium low and mix until well combined and the sides of the bowl are clean, about 1 minute more. Switch to the dough hook and knead on medium-low speed until the dough is smooth and tacky (it should peel off your finger when you poke it, like a Post-it note), about 4 minutes. If the dough is too sticky, add more bread flour 1 Tbs. at a time, kneading to incorporate. If it’s very stiff, knead in water 1 Tbs. at a time. (Alternatively, you can mix the dough in a large bowl by hand and then knead on an oiled surface; mixing and kneading will take longer.)  Rub a little vegetable oil on a work surface to create an 8-inch circle, and put the dough on this spot. Using your hands, stretch and fold the dough up and over itself from all four sides into the center, crimping it where the folded ends meet, to form it into a tight, round ball that is smooth on the bottom.  Invert the dough ball, setting it seam side down in a lightly oiled bowl that’s twice the size of the dough. Tightly cover with plastic wrap. Let sit at room temperature until doubled in size, about 1-1/2 hours.  Form into a loaf and put into an oiled loaf pan and let rise again. Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F.  In a small bowl, whisk the egg with 1 Tbs. water and then lightly brush the tops of the loaves with the egg wash; discard any remaining egg wash. Bake for 20 minutes, then rotate and swap the positions of the pans. Continue baking until the loaves are a rich golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 190°F to 195°F , 20 to 25 minutes more. Transfer the loaves in their pans to a wire rack to cool.

Knish

6 medium russet potatoes
2 1/2 tablespoons butter
¾ cup minced onion
½ cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 Tbspn chives
1 Tbspn pepper flakes
12 sheets phyllo dough

1. Peel, halve and boil potatoes until tender, 15-20 minutes. Mash in a large bowl.
2. Sauté onion in 1 1/2 tablespoons butter until translucent but not brown. Add to mashed potatoes with broth, salt, pepper and spices. Stir well.
3. Melt remaining tablespoon of butter. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
4. Layer 3 sheets of phyllo dough and cut in half. Repeat  with remaining 3 sheets. Spoon 1 cup of potato mixture on each section of phyllo, mold into a large ball and position off-center at one
    end of strip of dough. Roll ball along the length of phyllo, folding  dough over bottom of filling and leaving some filling poking through the top. (Trim and discard excess dough.)
5. Brush melted butter over edges of knish to seal the seams and press down onto an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with other knishes. Bake 30-40 minutes, until golden brown.

Pastrami

4 pounds of good corned beef
4 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons coriander powder
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon JHP Thai Blend
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder

Soak corned beef over night in cold water to remove some of the excess salt.  Rub corned beef with spice mix and leave uncovered in fridge for 24-48 hours.  Smoke corned beef until internal temp hits 205f.

IMG_7092.JPG

IMG_7102.JPG

IMG_7103.JPG

IMG_7111.JPG

IMG_7113.JPG

IMG_7125.JPG

IMG_7136.JPG

IMG_7138.JPG

IMG_7141.JPG

IMG_7145.JPG

My rye loaf was a bit small but the flavor was just as it should be.  The flavor on the pastrami was incredible.  I followed Meatheads recipe and it produced a most flavorful pastrami.  The next time I make this I will leave the Thai powder out of the rub and just use paprika instead.  This dish is better without heat, but this is The Hot Pepper.  The knish was pretty easy to make with the exception of the phyllo dough.  The fully sour pickles are my own, they have been in brine since August and mimic Bah-Tempe pickles if you have ever had them.  This is easily the best TD dish I have prepared.  

Fuc*ing amazing 1010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ;)

Love the backstory too. 

Yonah schimmel's was easily one of my favorite stops from my east coast trip.  That's pastrami looks divine on that sammie with mustard. 

Excellent job my friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back