• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Where There's Smoke, There's Tapas... Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is getting very good!. Tomorrow I have a busy day and I can not do anything. Sunday promised to take my kids to the zoo. Monitor closely.

PoL only has to be shown in one pic, with the bulk of ingredients. So, in one prep pic where you are showing most or all of the ingredients, or the plated pic. So, not  just next to a tomato and that's it. :)

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Also, doing pork butts 2 different ways, can they be used as 2 different tapas since it is same protein? 

Yup yup! Looking forward to it!

Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you, for the main course:

A simple, straightforward drunken chicken sammich.

Slices of tender, juicy, smoked chicken breast on a buttered and toasted Portuguese roll, with mayonnaise, topped with cool, crisp hearts of romaine.

BBQ presented as entree.

14387983147_feae7632b3_k.jpg

And for the tapas, we have

Tamales de Pollo Ahumada

For the tamale stuffing:

1 finely chopped vidalia onion
1 finely chopped green bell pepper
6 cloves of garlic, minced
3 Tbsp of olive oil
1 box chicken stock
1 packet of Sazon Goya Coriander & Anatto
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp dried chili de arbol flakes
salt and pepper
the remaining meat from the smoked chicken, chopped

Heat the oil and sautee the veggies until hot and tender
Add the Goya seasoning, chili powder, cinnamon, pepper flakes, chopped chicken, and chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste

Bring it to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer

When you're dough is ready, drain the meat and reserve the liquid. You'll need it for the sauce.

Tamale dough:

1.5 cups of Masa
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
3 Tbsp softened butter
1/3 cup of lard
3/4 cup of water + 3 Tbsps

Beat the lard and butter together in a bowl until smooth and well blended. (5 mins)
In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients (masa, salt, cumin, baking powder)

While beating the lard, slowly add dry ingredients and water to the paste a few spoonfuls at a time. Continue to beat until smooth and incorporated.... should be like cookie dough when you're done.

Corn husks

Soak the corn husks in a bowl of HOT water.... this takes hours to soften them up. Overnight works best, but 5 hours or so will work.

Drain the water

Prep the steamer. Add your water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a slow simmer. Line the bottom of the steamer basket with husks. You'll place the tamales on top of these.

Form your tamales

Press the dough onto a husk to about a quarter inch thick...
Add the meat to the middle of the dough, and fold the ends over until the masa touches. Roll the tamale and place it in a steamerwith the folded side down.
Once they're all formed and in the steamer, place more husks on top of the tamales to cover. Then place a thick white towel on top to absorb excess condensation. Cover the steamer and cook for 2.5 to 3 hours. Test one after 2.5 hours. Take one out and try to unroll it. The dough should not stick to the husk. If it sticks, it's not done.

The Sauce

This sauce was delicious. I just kinda winged it.

Take your reserved liquid from the ckicken and bring it back to a simmer. Add 1/2 cup of roasted pasillo chili sauce, 1 can of GOOD enchilada saucepepper powder of your choice... I used japones powder. Simmer until thick, and serve with your tamales!

14575052432_1c21f61cf7_k.jpg

Dusted this guy with japones and jalapeno powder for an extra kick

BONUS PIC!

14575838605_066593388f_k.jpg

Pic your fave tapas pic. Two per protein. :D

That's a nice meal bro!

Pop that other pic up in your unofficial posts.

What the fuque is goin on here?

I obviously took my best shot and bowed out. WFT is Tappass again? a whole sandwich???

I am drunk.   <---disclaimer

I thought taapaas were bites ize portion s of the main cores to come???

But in BUzzz'z defense... he serves food by th kilo//// newspapers and a piknik table and sheeeit... his is just ' bite 'size I recon".

whoa...

DeVille: They are supposed to be bite portions. Though they have nothing to do with a "Main portion to come" That would be an appetizer. And no a whole "full sized" sandwich is not a tapas.

The sammich isn't the tapas... the tamale is.. .but if it's too big in your eyes, vote against it.

I obviously know about as much about tapas as I know about quantum physics

Buzz did it right!

Chicken served as entree and tapas!

No! You guys are missing what he did. The sandwich is not the tapas! It's the BBQ portion!

Please read the directions.

It was my first time attempting tamales, so yeah, I got them a bit larger than I wanted....The sandwich is supposed to be the full sized entree, the tamale was supposed to be smaller, appetizer sized, and made with the smoked chicken that went into the sandwich. But thanks for the critique. Duly noted.

Don't worry Buzz, you got it... they didn't.

I wish I could order up a smoked chicken tamal in a bar up over here!

Yeah, I'll admit I didn't get it at first, either. The wording of the paragraphs kind of blurs the clarity of the bullet points above. I thought I had it, then I decided I didn't, then I thought I had it again, then I decided it's a good thing I don't have a smoker. 

Buzz, I am a sucker for tamales, and I absolutely want that one right now!  :party:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back