beer Being Crafty

7bad9b621d334bc413a7e469bd0ed090.jpg

c1ab0a45d661fc3339bbfa34cae6eea3.jpg

All I'm saying - is that I think this is a strongly positive sign ...

97d9ff8de79bae8fc1b4be5e72e360ab.jpg

:D

Green beer from the hydrometer jar has tasted a lot of different ways, but I can't say I've ever wanted to truly drink it ... until this beer.

Fresh, nearly flat, and yes - like juice.

It's hard to say orange juice, specifically, but it tastes like a glass of one of the tropical/citrus mixes from the produce area at the grocery store ...

I can't really say whether it would be orange/pineapple, or what ... but it tastes like a glass of breakfast juice where the ice has already melted ...

It seems like it's going to have the mouthfeel of the beer The Bum sent, it has that reverse-straw effect ... I think it was called Pipsqueak or something.

I would like to imagine that's the flaked and chloride/chalk, but I don't know.

I can best liked the mouthfeel (flat) to Pipsqueak or whatever it was, and the taste to the Starfish you sent ...

tctenten said:
Looks like you have the look right.

The best thing about this beer is that I leveraged the Z the opposite way it's normally used ... to emulate a simple, real life analog brewing scenario ...

How I made this beer, could be done in a pot on the range - really, really easily ... and I held that as a constraint ...

<70% 2-row
~10% torrefied wheat
~8.5% flaked barley
~5% flaked rye
~2% carapils

mashed high - 156F ...
i posted the water chem the other, a good bit of chalk, and more chloride than that! :D ...

it came out small because i had doughballs under a clump of gelatinous flaked grains, partially because i didn't mix them in as well as i could have - and partially because it was 1/2 lb more grains than the Z wants ... so the grain bed was a little bit compact ...

anyways ...

brought to a full boil and held it there for 15 mins to pasteurize it, and to run it through the plate-chiller to sanitize that ... no bittering addition ...

here's the key ... i wanted to simulate a person whirlpooling in a pot ... so I set the Z to 185F, because 185F water going into the hops cages probably means ~180F water once the heat has dropped from being poured/pumped in, and the heat loss to the acrylic and SS etc ...

i split the massive amount of hops/batch-size between the 4 cages - pretty evenly - although i didn't feel like breaking out each portion from all three kinds on a scale, so i just #hopsbae'd them into the cages ...

2 gal batch ...

2 oz Bravo, 2 oz Citra, and an oz of Cascade ...

After ten mins, I had the Z decrease the whirlpool temp 10F, and head to the second cage ...

After ten more mins, the same thing ...

After ten more mins, again ...

So you have the simulation of a person standing at a pot, who brought the liquor to a boil and let it boil for a few mins to have boil-ish things happen, and then a manual, extended whirlpool ...

It should be like a person who boiled for 15 mins, then turned the burner to keep-warm, and started layering in hops while stirring occasionally ... from like 180F down to 160F, over the course of an hour ...

Pitched lots of 1318 and let her rip at 69F ...

This beer could be made easily mashed into a pot on the stove, and I'm going to do that and compare! ;)

Back