beer Being Crafty

t0mato said:
Man you drink a lot of beer. Lol
I try to enjoy my days off, especially in the Summer. I fertilized and watered my entire garden, pruned damaged leaves/branches off of all my veggies, treated my wife to brunch, walked around Leesburg, formulated a NEIPA recipe, went to my LHBS, brewed my NEIPA recipe, kegged an HB Hefeweizen, grilled 5 cornish hens, and did all of my laundry...while drinking beer the whole day.

Well, turns out I don't like "Saisons." Not this one anyway. BLECH! Couldn't get past the funky aftertaste, and I usually like Two Roads stuff. Their "Lil' Heaven" Session IPA and "Road 2 Ruin" Double IPAs are both really good. Dunno. This one just ain't for me

My buddy gave me one today because, ironically, I'm out of work on Worker's Comp ;)

The Hot Pepper said:
I hate saison. can't get past the wet goat barn flavor lol
Dude, I don't think I could have described that any better if you paid me to try, haha! So freakin' nasty.

They've got a lot of balls describing the flavor like this:
https://tworoadsbrewing.com/beers/view/workers-comp-saison

"Passion fruit, pineapple, mangoes....."?!?!

Yeah, maybe after the goat shit it out

MikeUSMC said:
I don't mind the Belgian beers that I've had (although my experience is very limited). Hoegaarden makes a good Hefeweizen. I also like Franziskaner, but they're Bavarian.

I've really gotta be "in the mood" for a Hefeweizen though
Ah, Hoegaarden is a Belgian wit. Not as yeast forward as most Belgian beers, plus the addition of coriander and bitter orange peel really overtakes most of the yeasty flavor. I can brew a pretty mean Belgian wit.

German hefeweizens have that nice banana/clove aspect to them from the yeast, but aren't nearly as yeast forward as most standard Belgian brews .

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Oh, nice. Glad you like it! I had hoped you'd like that one, since you're a fan of the sours. Which one is your favorite Johann, between the Pineapple, Mango, and Passion fruit?
the sour was great man, perfect for this hot weather.

Last time I had it I really enjoyed the passion, not so much this time, wasn't a fan of the broat either but the mango thief was great. thanks again,cheers.

FreeportBum said:
the sour was great man, perfect for this hot weather.

Last time I had it I really enjoyed the passion, not so much this time, wasn't a fan of the broat either but the mango thief was great. thanks again,cheers.
Glad you digged the sour. I'll probably brew another sour very soon, once I bottle up one of my other sours. I have blackberry sour fermented with Brett/Lacto/Pedio/Saison Sacc that is tasting very nice right now. I just need to clean up some bottles, and bottle it.

It's interesting because I actually liked the passion fruit one more this batch than the last batch. The mango is still my favorite out of all of them. There is a peach one as well, that I still haven't been able to get my hands on.

tctenten said:
Maybe it is the sun or whatever...but I like the color on that beer.
Thanks! I agree that it's a pretty good looking beer.

5 lbs of pilsner malt, 7 lbs. of malted wheat, 2 lbs. of flaked wheat. 2 ounces of Saaz, one zip at 60 minutes for the boil, second zip at 5 minutes for a hop stand with freshly ground coriander and dried curaçao orange rinds. WLP 400 starter pitched at 68 degrees.

Back