• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Berry pickin'

Nice photos of mulberries. What do you do with them all?

Here in the land of no frost, my blueberries are just beginning to be in their main harvest time. Till now, there have just been enough for grazing, but now more need picking. Mid April is about right for here. Usually we can pick the blues till mid June or so, but this year everything bloomed so early, the season probably is going to be rather condensed.

I had a great tree in my yard last spring where I rented. Hated to move and loose it.

So I just received my tiny baby mulberry trees today. They are tiny, but they are mine!

Flavor is similar to a blackberry but better in my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_20160421_1445461951.jpg
    IMG_20160421_1445461951.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 73
These were picked last August or September.  Wild lingonberries and wild raspberries. 
11949503_805246689581303_6295534239410225244_n_zpseuhfeeow.jpg

11954764_800557473383558_7338531746448680512_n_zpsshuzends.jpg

There are many many edible types of berries here in the north so I'll get more pics when berry season rolls around including:

beach strawberries
blueberries
raspberries
lingonberries
crow berries
watermelon berries
cranberries

and probably a lot more I can't remember right now

Rue Bella said:
Nice photos of mulberries. What do you do with them all?

Here in the land of no frost, my blueberries are just beginning to be in their main harvest time. Till now, there have just been enough for grazing, but now more need picking. Mid April is about right for here. Usually we can pick the blues till mid June or so, but this year everything bloomed so early, the season probably is going to be rather condensed.

I mostly make jam with them. If I have a particularly bountiful year, I make pie filling and can it in 1 qt jars or give so to my uncle for making wine.

SavinaRed said:
How do mulberries taste compared to blackberries ?

They're sweeter and less acidic, for one thing. And their flavor is deeper in a way than raspberries or black berries. Raspberry flavor is kind of bright and aromatic and up front, mulberries are really subdued, but still very flavorful. I think black berries are kind of in between raspberries and mulberries, concerning flavor, aroma and acidity. Hard to describe.

CheriLBW said:
I had a great tree in my yard last spring where I rented. Hated to move and loose it.

So I just received my tiny baby mulberry trees today. They are tiny, but they are mine!

Flavor is similar to a blackberry but better in my opinion.

Hell yes! Those little guys will be monsters in no time. I love how fast mulberry trees grow. They set fruit at a really young age, too - compared to other fruit and nut trees.
     Please post pics of them in their home!

Helvete said:

There are many many edible types of berries here in the north so I'll get more pics when berry season rolls around including:

beach strawberries
blueberries
raspberries
lingonberries
crow berries
watermelon berries
cranberries

and probably a lot more I can't remember right now

My local patch seems so boring now.  :mope:  I need to do some reading on those ^. Do you eat lingonberries raw? Or do they need sugar like cranberries? I've only had preserves.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Hell yes! Those little guys will be monsters in no time. I love how fast mulberry trees grow. They set fruit at a really young age, too - compared to other fruit and nut trees.
     Please post pics of them in their home!

I put them into pots for the time being, I want to let them get a little bigger before I risk them.

IMG_20160421_223614737.jpg

These are the little elderberry saplings I got while in KY last week.
IMG_20160421_223642208.jpg

And while not berries I also got these little guys then. Wild pawpaw saplings. I got three but only have the one pic.
IMG_20160422_082703458.jpg

After more research I just pulled the trigger on this variety of mulberry which is a dwarf Japanese called a Issai Morus Alba Dwarf Mulberry

http://www.logees.com/mulberry-issai-morus-alba.html

So now I will have the following all growing in raised beds and containers.

4 varieties of strawberries in raised beds and below in containers
5 varieties of blueberries
4 varieties of raspberries
1 thorn less blackberry
1 lingonberry
1 dwarf mulberry

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Do you eat lingonberries raw? Or do they need sugar like cranberries? I've only had preserves.
They taste a lot like cranberries, they're a bit sweeter raw though.  The crowberries are the super nasty ones even though they are edible they definitely require some sugar.

Maligator said:
:lmao: You Crack me up...don't get me wrong I dig what you're growing but I think you'll need to move soon or live under a jungle canopy of trees :P
I know I wish I had a 1/2 to an acre to grow I would be in garden heaven lol. 

I'm 100% OCD with everything I get into. You should see my knife collection from a few years ago, yikes. And my vintage and antique Cast Iron collection. 

Just a quick update to keep track of the new growth at the berry patch.

Male mulberry tree with flower clusters and leaves.
IMG_1691_zpsylypvhbz.jpg

Female flowers on a different tree.
IMG_1694_zpshgmu10os.jpg

Elderberry shoots.
IMG_1698_zpsh6szhoiw.jpg

Blackberry cane.
IMG_1697_zpsyn2bv2t6.jpg

Black raspberry cane.
IMG_1693_zpsms8jqd00.jpg

More black raspberry canes.
IMG_1692_zpsuxfzscwv.jpg

Each of these flower clusters will be a berry soon. I think it's going to be another good year for mulberries!
IMG_1696_zpsfpyfu8e7.jpg

I'm definitely going to miss all the blackberry brambles back in Washington. I swear it's the state weed there!!! Every bike path, hiking trail and park is surrounded by blackberries.

Now I'm going to have to actually pay for them :(

Maligator said:
I'm definitely going to miss all the blackberry brambles back in Washington. I swear it's the state weed there!!! Every bike path, hiking trail and park is surrounded by blackberries.

Now I'm going to have to actually pay for them :(
You are right we use to go every summer in the 70's to the Tacoma area and they were everywhere.

Back