• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Berry pickin'

I just took her out of the 3 gallon and put her into the 15 Gallon home for life. She is a beauty. 

Attachments

• dwarf berry.jpg
    dwarf berry.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 81
Went out picking dewberries this sunday. All the stuff that looks like poison ivy in this pic is actually peppervine

wYBnF6oh.jpg

Figured we would have a bumper crop this year since we have had so much rain. Turns out we had a bit too much rain and my prime spot was about 4 feet under water. Still managed to get about half a gallon in an hour worth of picking. 

M78HX7Oh.jpg

I actually don't know what these are, but they're berries of some sort.  I'll go back and take a look at this area when picking season comes around (August-ish).  Main berries to worry about here are baneberries which are easy to spot and these aren't them.

20160508_154055_zpszrzpzucc.jpg

My wife and I got out picking mulberries last weekend, but I forgot the camera, so these were the only pics I got when we got back to the house.
oK5a6Ip.jpg

5TwJ6sv.jpg

But I got back to the patch a few days later again. And I remembered the camera to document what is probably the best mulberry season I've seen yet!
QkNobFd.jpg

cFehpL9.jpg

Lz3UduZ.jpg

Bigguns!  :drooling:  :party:
uVVsT9M.jpg

I also caught a few trains. Because I am a huge dork. Here's a monster BNSF stack train. Seven locomotives in total: five on the front end and two DPUs pushing on the back end.
TWEBNPd.jpg

Next up was a Union Pacific Z train. Probably still doing about 45 by the time it got inside the city limits where I was. Dynamic brakes were SCREAMING!
KJxW6UD.jpg

UP Z trains almost always have DPUs in the middle of the train.
NKqOAsD.jpg

Another shot of the UP Z train.
pZsSqfl.jpg

The blackberry canes are looking good this season, too!
QMAEfBj.jpg

That's it for this update. The trees are probably full of ripe berries again, so I think I'll head back out again after dinner. 

Oh, yeah. This is what I picked on the last outing.
clD0uRC.jpg

I got out to the berry patch the other day for the tail end of the mulberry season and the beginning of the black raspberries.

The last of the mulberries
fsR7vbp.jpg

Black raspberries
y8hlggU.jpg

5lJzzdx.jpg

Norfolk Southern power is pretty rare here on the transcon.
oY6xrti.jpg

EMD FTW
ji6WCW0.jpg

This is a local train that goes to and from Chicago every day. It's pretty common to see it powered with old Santa Fe power, still in its Warbonnet paint scheme.
fJUcbSE.jpg

These Citibank owned locomotives are becoming more and more common around here. BNSF leases them when they have more traffic to move than they can power with their own locomotives.
VsrmmAn.jpg

This was a weird little train. The gray car in back is a track inspection car. It's full of all kinds of sensors and junk that evaluates the integrity of the track it's riding on. They keep track of the areas that are defective and send a crew in to fix what's out of whack. Jesus, you think 4,400 horsepower is enough for those two cars?  :rolleyes:
GYbANNe.jpg

And here's what I picked on my first real black raspberry pick of the season. A little over a gallon!
pOUyago.jpg

That's all I have for now. Thanks for checking out my train berry picking pictures!  :scared:

Scoville DeVille said:
Those are Black Raspberries? They look like Blackberries.

Nice "haul". LOL

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAhhahahahaaaaa... hmm. ;)  Yeah, those are black raspberries. You can tell the difference by how they come off the plant. When you pick a black raspberry, the berry looks kind of like a helmet - they're hollow in the middle. When you pick a blackberry, there's a little white, pithy bit inside the fruit aggregate that comes off too. With any luck, I should be able to show the difference between the two within a couple of weeks.

Ahh ok! They grow in clumps on prickery vines just like blackberries so that threw me. The difference is exactly how you described between the blackies and the razzies. I have never had a black razz before. 

Back