• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Best 7-Pot to grow for flavor?

Is there any difference in flavor and heat between the yellow brain strain and the regular yellow 7 pot? I have grown the yellow brain but have not had the regular yellow 7 yet. My understanding is that they are most likely the same pepper, the brain is just a bumpier and more brainy looking variation (but I could be wrong).

Another 7 pot I was impressed with was the mustard 7 pot from Wicked Mike. I was surprised how tasty it was and it certainly had some nice heat to it.

I had mixed feelings about the caramel 7 pot from Judy and was not too impressed with it when eaten fresh. It was pretty darn hot, but flavor wise it was just OK. On the other hand, the powder I created out of the pods after drying them turned out fantastic and is one of my favorite powders.

Righto, it looks like you just decided to start calling a TSMB a 7 pod moruga.  I read the thread you linked to but couldn't find anything definitive about the TSMB being a 7 pod.

While any given name ideally would provide some clue about a plants genetic origins that is secondary to being a useful descriptive term.  I googled 7 pot moruga and got no hits. While it may be possible to make the case it is a more accurate name, if no one uses it, is it useful or have you just thrown another nameinto the mix?

Robisburning said:
Righto, it looks like you just decided to start calling a TSMB a 7 pod moruga.  I read the thread you linked to but couldn't find anything definitive about the TSMB being a 7 pod.

While any given name ideally would provide some clue about a plants genetic origins that is secondary to being a useful descriptive term.  I googled 7 pot moruga and got no hits. While it may be possible to make the case it is a more accurate name, if no one uses it, is it useful or have you just thrown another nameinto the mix?

Have you grown the morugal before?  If you read the thread, and look at the pics of the landrace seven pod, it is virtually identical.  It is clear that the brainstrain and moruga are representatives of this landrace variety.  Now, in terms of people recognizing it, you're right, it has become popular as TSMB, etc., but looking at the evidence, I think that it is simply a seven pod.  So if you're selling seed, perhaps you might be worried about people recognizing it, associating it with a "world record" and then trying to make money off of that association.  As far as throwing one more name in the mix, not at all... my idea is to recognize what it is and call a spade a spade.

My favorite 7 Pot of summer was the 7 Pot Orange, it was fruity and hot.  Maybe not as hot as some of the other 7 pots but the heat was more than enough for me.  I know some of the older reviews stated that the heat was only habanero heat, but mine were way hotter. 

I will be growing this chili again for sure, also growing the 7 Pot Jonah, Chaguanas, Chocolate SR, Choc Douglah, and Barrackpore. 

Love the 7 pots! 

Spicegeist said:

Have you grown the morugal before?  If you read the thread, and look at the pics of the landrace seven pod, it is virtually identical.  It is clear that the brainstrain and moruga are representatives of this landrace variety.  Now, in terms of people recognizing it, you're right, it has become popular as TSMB, etc., but looking at the evidence, I think that it is simply a seven pod.  So if you're selling seed, perhaps you might be worried about people recognizing it, associating it with a "world record" and then trying to make money off of that association.  As far as throwing one more name in the mix, not at all... my idea is to recognize what it is and call a spade a spade.

I understand what you are trying to do and it is a noble goal.

It would be awesome to have essentially a hot pepper wiki with the known history of various varieties.  It would also be great if the creators of crosses could list the parents etc. Currently if I want to look up madballz 7 or the reaper there is really no single place to go.  I know some breeders are not willing to disclose crosses but even having the parents listed as proprietary would save having to scour the whole web.

Robisburning said:
It would be awesome to have essentially a hot pepper wiki with the known history of various varieties.  It would also be great if the creators of crosses could list the parents etc. Currently if I want to look up madballz 7 or the reaper there is really no single place to go.  I know some breeders are not willing to disclose crosses but even having the parents listed as proprietary would save having to scour the whole web.

Yeah, some people try to hide their crosses, but I think a lot of people have no idea how the crosses came about, so they just remain silent :shh: and pretend it was on purpose.

For fruity flavor, the Yellow 7 is the best I've tried so far. The Douglah struck me as having notes of earth and wood in the flavor, which aren't as much of a turnoff to me as the burnt plastic flavor of the Barrackpore and Butch T. Smoking the Dougies with cherry wood and then drying them for powder improves the flavor a lot!

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     One more vote for 7 pot Burgundy. The aroma of dried pods reminds me of caramel or English toffee. The only superhot so far that I have wanted to sicman.
 I have waited many months for them to come back into stock at Pepperlover.  They sound awesome and I can't wait to try them. I want to use them with passionfruit in a hot sauce.

Has anybody tried the 7 pot primo orange?
Peter Merle from semillas.de once named it as the best tasting he knew. I dont know anything about it, it's probably a still unstable cross...
But that man has so many different peppers! He must know what is cool and hot. On the other hand he is of course selling the seeds, so i wanted to hear an honest opinion from somebody who is economically independent.

Best tasting pepper i knew seems a bit too much. But the 7 Pot Primo has a very nice flavour and also a nice looking. So  my opinion is you cannot do anything wrong  ;)

Back