• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Best 7-Pot to grow for flavor?

I don't have much experience with 7 Pots but one I've had that I rarely see on grow lists is the Chaguanas. Juicier & fruitier than I expected. Growing a lot of different 7 Pots this year. Only one I didn't have seeds for that I thought about seeking out was Rennie. Can't find a lot of info on it though so would've just grown out of curiosity. Any opinions on the Rennie?

Call me a dipshit/anal whatever but here goes........

The Primo is not a 7 Pot.  It is a cross between a Naga and a 7 Pot.  The White "7 Pot" is not a 7 Pot.  It is a cross between a white hab and a yellow 7 Pot.

When we talk about 7 Pots we are talking about a distinct landrace.

OK that's out of the way.  Now back to the original Q.

I must second the Burgundy - it has a definite honey/caramel note to it - not overly floral like the Jonah.  But for sheer intensity the BrainStrain (red) is hard to beat!

7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow for taste. I do love the red variety as well just doesn't taste as nice as the yellow... be careful with these brain strains, they inflict A LOT of damage... lol

RobStar said:

The Primo is not a 7 Pot.  It is a cross between a Naga and a 7 Pot.  The White "7 Pot" is not a 7 Pot.  It is a cross between a white hab and a yellow 7 Pot.

I must second the Burgundy - it has a definite honey/caramel note to it - not overly floral like the Jonah.  But for sheer intensity the BrainStrain (red) is hard to beat!
So you are saying the burgandy is a distinct landrace.

Tough one.  It has some of the characteristics of a 7 Pot and might well be.  For want of a better name I'll stick with 7 Pot.  It's just that I'm not sure of it's parentage.  Confusing?  A bit.  You see I think it is a cross made by CARDI and one of the things they were trialling.  And then Tinihottie (Sara R) picked some and sent seeds to all and sundry.  That's where a lot of these things originated.

So I'm not entirely convinced it is a genuine/naturally occurring colour variant but rather lean towards a cross of sorts - probably a red 7 Pot with a brown scotch bonnet/congo.

RobStar said:
Tough one.  It has some of the characteristics of a 7 Pot and might well be.  For want of a better name I'll stick with 7 Pot.  It's just that I'm not sure of it's parentage.  Confusing?  A bit.  You see I think it is a cross made by CARDI and one of the things they were trialling.  And then Tinihottie (Sara R) picked some and sent seeds to all and sundry.  That's where a lot of these things originated.

So I'm not entirely convinced it is a genuine/naturally occurring colour variant but rather lean towards a cross of sorts - probably a red 7 Pot with a brown scotch bonnet/congo.
Interesting. Help a newb out. What exactly is a congo. From what I've read, I can't figure out if it's it's own thing or a habanero or like you say here, a scotch bonnet.

and just out of curiosity, from the recent history I read I can't figure out if Sara and others are taking from CARDI & other sources with their permission or not. I don't care either way - just curious. ...and us Sara still around?

A Congo is pretty much a SB but with a more hab shape.  Many of the CARDI lines are actually SB but they look like habs - they still refer to them as SB's though - check out the Faria and Hood - they look didly squat like a SB but according to CARDI that's what they are.

Here's a link to her photobucket: http://s263.photobucket.com/user/trinihottie/library/?sort=3&page=1

You'll see two pics of the trial plots.  She was irritated by the fact that CARDI weren't apparently doing enough with the stuff so she decided to "disseminate" them.  I don't think everything came from these plots.  I think lots of things came from local markets etc.  I think the burgundy is one of these that were being trialled.  I don't think it is entirely stable either.  Mine don't look anything like Chris' pic in post #6.  His look a lot like one of the CARDI scotch bonnets - Faria.  Mine are more bumpy and a definite browny orange/burgundy colour.

The only 7 Pot I've had is the yellow 7 Pot I grew last year.  Had a lot of heat but a surprisingly good flavor as well!  Growing 7 Pot white and also brown this year so I'll see which one I like best out of the 3

Buzzman19 said:
My favorite 7 Pot of summer was the 7 Pot Orange, it was fruity and hot.  Maybe not as hot as some of the other 7 pots but the heat was more than enough for me.  I know some of the older reviews stated that the heat was only habanero heat, but mine were way hotter. 

I will be growing this chili again for sure, also growing the 7 Pot Jonah, Chaguanas, Chocolate SR, Choc Douglah, and Barrackpore. 

Love the 7 pots! 

Could not agree more. As you said a step down from the rest of the 7 family in heat for sure, but awesome flavor. Well worth the effort to grow.

RobStar said:

I wasn't aware we was only talking about Landrace here as the question was about taste not the most genetically pure 7pot

D3monic said:

I wasn't aware we was only talking about Landrace here as the question was about taste not the most genetically pure 7pot

Compare apples with apples.  If I call an avocado an apple and say it is the best tasting appler out there is it true? 

RobStar said:

I'm not sure if that is a yes or no? I would definitely vote you into office though! Just busting your stones really. A Primo is a naga x 7 pod and definitely not a landrace.

I do agree that some congo genes could be in the burgandy. They are pretty smooth and large for 7 pods.

Yip you called me on that one!

I don't have enough info to "put it in it's place".  I'm trying to assemble a collection of the original 7 Pots etc and then go about outcrossing these to see if I arrive at any of these things.  Just a side note:  has anyone ever had red progeny from line bred 7 Pot Brown or brown from a 7 Pot Red? 

Do I think the Burgundy is a genuine 7 Pot?  My gut says "No".

Back