• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grocery Best tomato for pizza sauce?

So far it's:

Cherry, intense, Stanislaus, Martino's romas, roma, Amish paste, Pozzano f1, and garden gem, and the Heinz 3402.

So when a tomato is canned does the acidity become more intense/pronounced? Thanks in advance, Cheers!

Voodoo 6 said:
So far it's:

Cherry, intense, Stanislaus, Martino's romas, roma, Amish paste, Pozzano f1, and garden gem, and the Heinz 3402.

So when a tomato is canned does the acidity become more intense/pronounced? Thanks in advance, Cheers!
Well I'm guessing there is a reason for Heinz to use this tomatoe in their ketchup.
Yield and flavour would be a good guess.
Only time will tell.

nmlarson said:
Up until last summer, I would have agreed with the answers about San Marzano types and Amish Paste.  However, I've never grown a San Marzano type that didn't have a real issue with blossom end rot until I tried a hybrid from Johnny's Seeds called Pozzano F1.  It's the gift that keeps on giving.  You've still got to nurse it with the Cal-Mg, but it just never stops producing, never mind the hot humid summers of Central PA.  Then, on a whim, I grew "Garden Gem," last summer, a semi-determinate hybrid developed at the University of Florida at Gainesville by a tomato nerd professor named Harry Klee, PhD.  If you're curious, read:  hos.ufl.edu/kleeweb/index.html. 
attachicon.gif
Garden Gems.jpg
This little tomato just totally blew everything else out of the water....yield, long harvest, flavor, texture, shelf life after harvest.  Because of some unexpected surgery, I literally had sheet pans of picked tomatoes on my kitchen counters for a month, without any decrease in flavor or texture.  The absolute, hands down, best sauce I've ever made was with these tomatoes.  I've used it on pasta, pizza, parms and for braising.  They're not big in size, but simply can't be beat in flavor.  Split them lengthwise (don't bother peeling them), spread them on a sheet pan with some S&P, olive oil, garlic and whatever herb you like (I had an abundance of oregano and basil, so I used them), roast them low and slow, then put the whole mess through a food mill's coarse blade.  And, it freezes beautifully.  Guess that solves what's for dinner tonight.  Here's a plate of chicken, Greek style, quickly braised with the Gems, Gypsy peppers, onions and Kalamata olives, with a side of couscous and a cucumber, yogurt & mint salad.
attachicon.gif
Dinner.jpg

this is my first year growing tomatoes, and one of my plants is a san marzano. it's getting blossom end rot like a mofo, so it's nice to hear that it's not completely my fault.

also, those cultivars sound pretty good. i just ordered some seeds from ufl.edu, and hey, they're basically free! you get them for a $10 donation that's tax deductible.

sinensis said:

this is my first year growing tomatoes, and one of my plants is a san marzano. it's getting blossom end rot like a mofo, so it's nice to hear that it's not completely my fault.

also, those cultivars sound pretty good. i just ordered some seeds from ufl.edu, and hey, they're basically free! you get them for a $10 donation that's tax deductible.

Hey!

Hope you love them as much as I do.  It's been some time since I checked their site, but the last time I did, they were hinting at a new type.  I'm curious what you ordered.......

Well Im growing three types of tom's and its hard to say for me now, the Beefsteaks I have are like a bundle of sweet sauce as is, just add Basil, Oregano and spice and its done. As well as the Sweet Casady, the Romas are third now.

nmlarson said:
Hey!

Hope you love them as much as I do.  It's been some time since I checked their site, but the last time I did, they were hinting at a new type.  I'm curious what you ordered.......

http://hos.ufl.edu/kleeweb/newcultivars.html

ufl.edu said:
Want to get your hands on some seeds? As of today, they are still not commercially available. But we want you to try them out. So heres the deal. If you will donate $10 to support new variety development, well send you packets with 15 seeds each of Garden Treasure, Garden Gem and our newest variety that we call our "W" hybrid. The W Hybrid has been shown to have a much higher than normal lycopene content.

Please know that all of that money goes back into research. And your donation is even tax deductible.

W Hybrid:

This hybrid is determinate and produces a large number of large round deep red 6 ounce fruits. The fruits have a higher lycopene content than normal tomatoes. The first fruits ripen about 70-75 days after transplanting. These plants are resistant to gray leaf spot, PhytophthoraRace 3 and Fusarium wilt Races 0, 1 and 2.

Back